Brigham Young's Nightmare

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_Investigator
_Emeritus

Brigham Young's Nightmare

Post by _Investigator »

I read about a nightmare Brigham Young supposedly had, where he saw someone shoot himself and then hand him the gun.

http://www.examiner.com/article/the-dre ... gham-young

I'd like to know if this is true, and what Brigham thought about it.

Did he record the details in his journal?

Was it recorded by someone else who heard him speak about it?

And what exactly did he say (or write) about it?

I'm interested in how he interpreted it (and what, if anything, he thought it meant) , but I can't find any of the details online.

Does anyone know anything about this?
_grindael
_Emeritus

Re: Brigham Young's Nightmare

Post by _grindael »

inquiringmind,

That dream can be found in Brigham Young's journal under the date of Tuesday, March 17, 1846. You can read it online here:

http://books.google.com/books?id=ELzosJ ... fe&f=false
Riding on a speeding train; trapped inside a revolving door;
Lost in the riddle of a quatrain; Stuck in an elevator between floors.
One focal point in a random world can change your direction:
One step where events converge may alter your perception.
_Investigator
_Emeritus

Post by _Investigator »

grindael wrote:inquiringmind,

That dream can be found in Brigham Young's journal under the date of Tuesday, March 17, 1846. You can read it online here:

http://books.google.com/books?id=ELzosJ ... fe&f=false

That's the dream where Brigham shot an intruder, not the one where he saw a man shoot himself and then hand him the gun.

But thank you.

I came upon this on another forum.

This is an area that I have wondered about.
Sometimes I have dreams which seem to match Richard G Scott's description of a subtle awakening, and yet some of them are so disturbing that I have to pray continuously for hours for comfort.

Such was a dream I recently had. Neither my mind nor my heart can accept the events depicted as revelatory, because the events say this: "YOU ARE DAMNED!"
...I've had horrible dreams in the past which were not based on monsters or menaces and they go like this:
I'm stuck on a hopeless eternal task, maybe a math problem with 1000 1000 digit numbers and I keep losing my place so I have to start over. Or, I am walking home, and when I get there, I am somehow sent back to the start to try again. I try maybe 5-6 times before panic fully really starts to take hold. The loop goes faster and faster, I've failed millions of times, and images of me inside my tomb begin to flicker along with the loop, there's no way out of the grave. I feel dirt pressing around me, somehow feeling smooth and rough at the same time, my body can't process the feelings right. At this point I am in so frantic that perhaps I begin to wake-but the feelings don't go away. My mind is raging, maddening sensations are still racing all over my skin; anything I hear is like a truck hitting my head. Moving is very difficult and I have to concentrate really hard to move properly. Each move feels violent and jerky, and causes me terrible anguish (but not pain).

The poster was LDS, and he had more than one of these hopeless dreams.

I'm wondering if it's possible such dreams come from the devil?

And is that possible even when there are two or more?

(Or does the law of second witness dictate that two such dreams would have to be from God? Is 2 Cor. 13:1 saying that if you have two dreams about going to hell, you're doomed? And if you have two dreams about being an Apostle, you might as well pack your bags and get use to living in Salt Lake City now?)
_grindael
_Emeritus

Post by _grindael »

I found this dream by Brigham Young as recorded by Wilford Woodruff, but it was a knife and not a gun...

The following Dream was related which President Young [had] on Friday night Sept 24, 1858: He dreamed that 4 men came into his room and tried to get in. He tried to shoot them with his pistol but Could not get it off. He then drew a Bowie knife but found it to be a Carving knife with a saw on one side. At the same time Mr Clarkson reached over his shoulder & drew a large Bowie knife from between his shoulders & attempted to kill Presidet Young who said to him you may think that you are going to do sumthing but I will show you. He then threw his saw knife at Clarkson & Just as it was about to enter his body Brigham Young reached out his hand Caught it so that it did not hurt him saying at the same time you now see what I Can do. Clarkson said I see that my life is in your power. At the same time he plunged his knife into his own breast & split it open then handed the handle of the knife all Bloody to B. Young & walked a short distance & fell dead. (Wilford Woodruff's Journal, Vol. 5, p. 221, September 26, 1858).

Woodruff was very superstitious. Take this instance, (speaking of dreams)

After retiring to rest at night I was Called upon by Brother Meeks to go with him to lay hands upon his wife who was possessed with a devil. I went with him to his house & found his wife foaming in great agony. I lade hands upon her & rebuked the devil & he came out of her & she soon fell asleep & I returned home & If I had judged from outward appearances I should have thought the devil followed me home & entered into our Cat for she made the most awful noise through the night I ever herd. I also had a disagreeable dream <Joseph and myself> which I considerd to be from the devil. I met in council with the Twelve in evening. (Wilford Woodruff's Journal, Vol. 2, 1841–1845, p.140, December 1, 1841).

Another dream of Woodruff's that might be of interest:

30th Wind Still dead ahead. Cloudy & cold. Still beating in the channel on the same ground we were yesterday. Gain none at all.

I was in dreams nearly all of last night. Saw A large fire, A field of green corn, repaird old tubs to hold water, ground grain for the Saints Among other things I had an interview with the Patriarch Hiram Smith who was mattered. He wished me to get a plain gold ring made of fine gold set a stone in it & put some of his hair in it & wear it, & also some of Joseph Hair. (Wilford Woodruff's Journal, Vol. 2, 1841–1845, p.491, December 30, 1844)
Riding on a speeding train; trapped inside a revolving door;
Lost in the riddle of a quatrain; Stuck in an elevator between floors.
One focal point in a random world can change your direction:
One step where events converge may alter your perception.
_zeezrom
_Emeritus

Post by _zeezrom »

I will tell you a dream that I had last night. I dreamed that I was in the midst of a people who were dressed in rags and tatters, they had turbans upon their heads, and these were also hanging in tatters. The rags were of many colors, and, when the people moved, they were all in motion. Their object in this appeared to be, to attract attention. Said they to me, “We are Mormons, brother Brigham.” “No, you are not,” I replied. “But we have been,” said they, and they began to jump, and caper about, and dance, and their rags of many colors were all in motion, to attract the attention of the people. I said, “You are no Saints, you are a disgrace to them.” Said they, “We have been Mormons.” By and by, along came some mobocrats, and they greeted them with, “How do you do, sir, I am happy to see you.” They kept on that way for an hour. I felt ashamed of them, for they were in my eyes a disgrace to “Mormonism.” Then I saw two ruffians, whom I knew to be mobbers and murderers, and they crept into a bed, where one of my wives and children were. I said, “You that call yourselves brethren, tell me, is this the fashion among you?” They said, “O, they are good men, they are gentlemen.” With that, I took my large bowie knife, that I used to wear as a bosom pin in Nauvoo, and cut one of their throats from ear to ear, saying, “Go to hell across lots.” The other one said, “You dare not serve me so.” I instantly sprang at him, seized him by the hair of the head, and, bringing him down, cut his throat, and sent him after his comrade; then told them both, if they would behave themselves they should yet live, but if they did not, I would unjoint their necks. At this I awoke.
I say, rather than that apostates should flourish here, I will unsheath my bowie knife, and conquer or die. [Great commotion in the congregation, and a simultaneous burst of feeling, assenting to the declaration.] Now, you nasty apostates, clear out, or judgment will be put to the line, and righteousness to the plummet. [Voices, generally, “go it, go it.“] If you say it is right, raise your hands. [All hands up.] Let us call upon the Lord to assist us in this, and every good work.

An Address by President Brigham Young, Delivered in the Tabernacle, Great Salt Lake City, March 27th, 1853.
Reported by G. D. Watt.
Oh for shame, how the mortals put the blame on us gods, for they say evils come from us, but it is they, rather, who by their own recklessness win sorrow beyond what is given... Zeus (1178 BC)

The Holy Sacrament.
_zeezrom
_Emeritus

Post by _zeezrom »

I fully expect the above post to be removed from the Celestial forum due to its rated R content.
Oh for shame, how the mortals put the blame on us gods, for they say evils come from us, but it is they, rather, who by their own recklessness win sorrow beyond what is given... Zeus (1178 BC)

The Holy Sacrament.
_souldier
_Emeritus

Post by _souldier »

Wow, BY was a violent one. That speech was bat shiz crazy. I can only imagine what an "apostate" in the crowd was thinking. Probably would have died on the spot if he/she didn't appear to agree.
"It takes more than three point four... wait, six percent beer to get Sterling Archer drunk! Six percent, really?"