Bible verse by verse

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_LittleNipper
_Emeritus

Re: Bible verse by verse

Post by _LittleNipper »

Revelation 22:1-22

Next the angel showed me the river of the water of life, sparkling like crystal, flowing from the throne of God and of the Lamb.

Between the main Boulevard and the river was the Tree of Life producing 12 kinds of fruit, a different kind monthly; and the leaves of the tree were for healing the nations.

Never again will there be any curses. The throne of God and of the Lamb will be in the city, and His servants will worship Him.

They will see His face, and His name will be on their foreheads.

Night will no longer exist, so they will need neither the light of a lamp nor the light of the sun, because the Lord, God, will shine upon them. And they will reign as rulers eternially.

Then He said to me, “These words are factual and believable: the Lord, God of the spirits of the prophets, sent His angel to show His servants the things that must happen soon.”

“Look! I am coming very soon. Blessed is the person who obeys the words of the prophecy written in this book!”

Then I, John, the one listening and observing these things, when I heard and saw them, I fell down to worship at the feet of the angel showing them to me.

But he said to me, “Don’t do that! I am only a fellow-servant with you and your brothers, the prophets and the people who obey the words in this book. Worship God!”

Then he said to me, “Don’t seal up the words of the prophecy in this book, because the time of their fulfillment is coming.

“Whoever continues acting wickedly, let him go on acting wickedly. Whoever is filthy, let him go on living in filth. “Also, whoever is righteous, let him go on doing what is righteous. And whoever is holy, let him continue being made holy.”

“Listen!” [says Jesus,] “I am coming soon, and My rewards are Mine to give to each person according to what he deserves.

I am the ‘A’ and the ‘Z,’ the First and the Last, the Start and the Finish.”

How blessed are those who wash their robes, so that they have the right to eat from the Tree of Life and go through the gates into the city!

Outside are the homosexuals, those involved with the occult and with drugs, the sexually deviates, murderers, idol-worshipers, and everyone who loves and practices lies.

“I, Jesus, have sent My angel to give you this testimony for the Messianic communities. I am the Root and Offspring of David, the bright Morning Star.

The Spirit and the Bride say, ‘Come!’ Let anyone who hears say, ‘Come!’ And let anyone who is thirsty come — let anyone who wishes, take the water of life free of charge.”

I warn everyone listening to the words of the prophecy in this book that if anyone adds to them, God will add to him the plagues written in this book.

And if anyone deleats the wording in the book of this prophecy, God will remove away his share in the Tree of Life and the holy city, as revealed in this book.

“The One who is testifying to these things says, ‘Yes, I am arriving soon!’” So be it! Come, Lord Jesus!

May the grace of the Lord Jesus be with all!

Young's Literal Translation (YLT)

1 And he shewed me a pure river of water of life, bright as crystal, going forth out of the throne of God and of the Lamb:

2 in the midst of its broad place, and of the river on this side and on that, [is] a tree of life, yielding twelve fruits, in each several month rendering its fruits, and the leaves of the tree [are] for the service of the nations;

3 and any curse there shall not be any more, and the throne of God and of the Lamb shall be in it, and His servants shall serve Him,

4 and they shall see His face, and His name [is] upon their foreheads,

5 and night shall not be there, and they have no need of a lamp and light of a sun, because the Lord God doth give them light, and they shall reign -- to the ages of the ages.

6 And he said to me, `These words [are] stedfast and true, and the Lord God of the holy prophets did send His messenger to shew to His servants the things that it behoveth to come quickly:

7 Lo, I come quickly; happy [is] he who is keeping the words of the prophecy of this scroll.'

8 And I, John, am he who is seeing these things and hearing, and when I heard and beheld, I fell down to bow before the feet of the messenger who is shewing me these things;

9 and he saith to me, `See -- not; for fellow-servant of thee am I, and of thy brethren the prophets, and of those keeping the words of this scroll; before God bow.'

10 And he saith to me, `Thou mayest not seal the words of the prophecy of this scroll, because the time is nigh;

11 he who is unrighteous -- let him be unrighteous still, and he who is filthy -- let him be filthy still, and he who is righteous -- let him be declared righteous still, and he who is sanctified -- let him be sanctified still:

12 And lo, I come quickly, and my reward [is] with me, to render to each as his work shall be;

13 I am the Alpha and the Omega -- the Beginning and End -- the First and the Last.

14 `Happy are those doing His commands that the authority shall be theirs unto the tree of the life, and by the gates they may enter into the city;

15 and without [are] the dogs, and the sorcerers, and the whoremongers, and the murderers, and the idolaters, and every one who is loving and is doing a lie.

16 `I, Jesus did send my messenger to testify to you these things concerning the assemblies; I am the root and the offspring of David, the bright and morning star!

17 And the Spirit and the Bride say, Come; and he who is hearing -- let him say, Come; and he who is thirsting -- let him come; and he who is willing -- let him take the water of life freely.

18 `For I testify to every one hearing the words of the prophecy of this scroll, if any one may add unto these, God shall add to him the plagues that have been written in this scroll,

19 and if any one may take away from the words of the scroll of this prophecy, God shall take away his part from the scroll of the life, and out of the holy city, and the things that have been written in this scroll;'

20 he saith -- who is testifying these things -- `Yes, I come quickly!' Amen! Yes, be coming, Lord Jesus!

21 The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ [is] with you all. Amen.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_Water Dog
_Emeritus

Post by _Water Dog »

Last edited by Guest on Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

Water Dog wrote:So what y'all up to in here?

It's all over, Dog. The Bible ended, the lights came on at the snack bar and everybody's headed out of the drive-in.
_Gunnar
_Emeritus

Post by _Gunnar »

At last! I don't think, though, that LittleNipper truly understands the service he has done for many who might have actually read through all his copying and pasting of the entire Bible. I agree that Dan Barker is probably right when he said that nothing is more likely to turn someone into an atheist than reading the Bible from cover to cover, or at least dispel the delusion that it is the inerrant and infallible word of God.

The Bible is certainly a significant work of literature that has had a profound impact on the world for both good and bad--especially in the Western World. I don't think it is possible to fully understand and appreciate how and why human history played out the way it did without at least some familiarity with the Judeo-Christian Bible and its influences on human civilization. However, there is no better reason to accept it as anything other than the work of fallible human beings than anything else that has ever been written. It contains both history and mythology, both truth and fiction and both sense and nonsense. Insisting that it is absolutely true and inerrant is at least as unreasonable and false as denying that it has any worth at all!
No precept or claim is more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you.”
― Harlan Ellison
_Wonhyo
_Emeritus

Post by _Wonhyo »

Nipper, I don’t want this thread to end. For the last five years, it’s been a consistent comfort and reliable friend.

Could you start a new verse-by-verse thread on something? How about the Book of Mormon? Or the Lotus Sutra? Or the Church’s “Handbook 1”?
It is better to travel well than to arrive.
_Choyo Chagas
_Emeritus

Post by _Choyo Chagas »

please check The Tragedy of Man !

at least it is literature...

THE LORD
O Man, strive on, strive on, have faith; and trust!

THE LORD
I’ve told you, Man: have faith and do your best!

THE LORD
Man, I have spoken: strive on, trust, have faith!

THE LORD
I told you, man: fight, trust and be full of hope!
Choyo Chagas is Chairman of the Big Four, the ruler of the planet from "The Bull's Hour" ( Russian: Час Быка), a social science fiction novel written by Soviet author and paleontologist Ivan Yefremov in 1968.
Six months after its publication Soviet authorities banned the book and attempted to remove it from libraries and bookshops.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

Wonhyo wrote:Nipper, I don’t want this thread to end. For the last five years, it’s been a consistent comfort and reliable friend.

Could you start a new verse-by-verse thread on something? How about the Book of Mormon? Or the Lotus Sutra? Or the Church’s “Handbook 1”?

How about the Kama Sutra? :twisted:

Here's some folks who take the Bible pretty seriously.

http://journalstar.com/news/local/911/p ... 494be.html

A Lincoln man remained in jail Monday after police say he shot his neighbor twice following an argument over the Bible Friday night.

Jimmy Livingston, 60, shot 30-year-old Andrew Pickering in the shoulder and hip in the incident at an apartment building at 741 Sumner Street, according to an affidavit for Livingston's arrest.

Just before 7:22 p.m., Livingston pulled out his silver and black handgun and threatened Pickering with it, and then Pickering returned to his apartment, police said.

Livingston was still outside Pickering's apartment yelling when he fired into the residence, the affidavit said.

Police said other people were in the apartment but they were unharmed.

According to police, Livingston called police to report the shooting. He was arrested without incident.

Investigators found a silver and black 9mm Smith and Wesson handgun in a empty trashcan in the alley behind the apartment building, the affidavit said.

Medics took Pickering to a nearby hospital where he was treated for non-life threatening injuries.

Livingston was taken to the Lancaster County jail on suspicion of first degree assault, use of a deadly weapon to commit a felony, possession of a firearm by a prohibited person and unlawful discharge of a firearm.

Neither a police spokeswoman nor the affidavit provided details about the argument.
_LittleNipper
_Emeritus

Post by _LittleNipper »

Wonhyo wrote:Nipper, I don’t want this thread to end. For the last five years, it’s been a consistent comfort and reliable friend.

Dear Wonhyo,

I'm a Christian. And I firmly believe that only the Bible was sanctioned and composed by the Triune GODHEAD (Father, Son, Holy Spirit) through GOD's selected chosen. I've have had a feeling (call it a still small voice) to focus on specific books of the Bible more in depth. I love Job and Ecclesiastics. Maybe I can do the "Christmas" story. Thank you for your kind words. It was for people like yourself that I seem to have originally started this undertaking... :smile:
_Choyo Chagas
_Emeritus

Post by _Choyo Chagas »

LittleNipper wrote: It was for people like yourself ... :smile:

at least there is one
Choyo Chagas is Chairman of the Big Four, the ruler of the planet from "The Bull's Hour" ( Russian: Час Быка), a social science fiction novel written by Soviet author and paleontologist Ivan Yefremov in 1968.
Six months after its publication Soviet authorities banned the book and attempted to remove it from libraries and bookshops.