Fulfilled Prophecy?

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_jo1952
_Emeritus

Re: Fulfilled Prophecy?

Post by _jo1952 »

Kittens_and_Jesus wrote:
I'm glad to hear it.

I'd like to add that I share a lot of concerns that critics of Aikido have. Too many of us haven't studied other martial arts and don't really know how to strike a person. Sometimes our practice is too cooperative. I get frustrated by my dojomates and I think of trying a different art, but then I am reminded of the skill of my sensei. He's a gokyu karateka (5th degree black belt in karate) and really knows how to fight. Still, he abandoned the competitive world of martial arts and chose Aikido. When he applies a technique I am powerless against it, and his skill pales in comparison to his teacher. I'm not saying I think he's invincible or anything, but I have to believe that means something.

Hello K & J,

He sounds very wise and prudent. How you can you not respect and love someone like he is? Of course what you see means something. There are many layers to what you are seeing. These same patterns are everywhere around us!

I understand your frustration with your dojomates. Sometimes I wonder what it would take to get a fellow believer to desire to learn more. But they are content right where they are. Even though I realize that this is where they need to be for now, I long to be able to discuss further and deeper understandings. That is when I try to remember how long it took me to get to where I am. But I still want to be able to share more....sigh.

Blessings,

jo
_PrickKicker
_Emeritus

Post by _PrickKicker »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Guest on Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
PrickKicker: I used to be a Narrow minded, short sighted, Lying, Racist, Homophobic, Pious, Moron. But they were all behavioral traits that I had learnt through Mormonism.
_PrickKicker
_Emeritus

Post by _PrickKicker »

Is there any magic involved?
can I shoot balls of fire and ice at my opponent?
Or call down thunder and lightning to strike my opponent?

Then your Aikido has nothing on my Mormon Priesthood Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiii-Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

:ugeek:
PrickKicker: I used to be a Narrow minded, short sighted, Lying, Racist, Homophobic, Pious, Moron. But they were all behavioral traits that I had learnt through Mormonism.
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

Kittens_and_Jesus wrote:Aikido is a martial art. It is often called the Art of Peace.

Having studied Judo, i have great respect for the martial arts...but i also understand the term "martial" as it is derived from Mars, the god of war.
I have found the circular energy involved in Judo to quite interesting and revealing, and my understanding of Akido is that it has a similar foundation (just not the same level of intimacy).
That being said, i find martial arts as a difficult sell as a source of "religion" or "spirituality". Yes, there are virtues to the systems involved with learning, practicing, and teaching martial arts but these are founded on temporal; principles and should be based upon spiritual ones. These spiritual principles are often about self-preservation and exerting one's will upon another, which is not easily reconciled with the basic tenets of Christianity.
In a nutshell, i consider the martial arts to be a good source of discipline, a good system for a healthy and happy physical life but often its practitioners neglect and/or diminish a true spiritual life. Yes, they are 'good' people.

"role of a warrior should be to create peace" - is an absurd, or perhaps just an archaic, assertion. It basically promotes an ultimate doctrine that only through physical force and/or domination may peace be achieved. That only through an aggressive conquest may another be instructed.
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_Kittens_and_Jesus
_Emeritus

Post by _Kittens_and_Jesus »

subgenius wrote:
Kittens_and_Jesus wrote:Aikido is a martial art. It is often called the Art of Peace.

Having studied Judo, i have great respect for the martial arts...but i also understand the term "martial" as it is derived from Mars, the god of war.
I have found the circular energy involved in Judo to quite interesting and revealing, and my understanding of Akido is that it has a similar foundation (just not the same level of intimacy).
That being said, i find martial arts as a difficult sell as a source of "religion" or "spirituality". Yes, there are virtues to the systems involved with learning, practicing, and teaching martial arts but these are founded on temporal; principles and should be based upon spiritual ones. These spiritual principles are often about self-preservation and exerting one's will upon another, which is not easily reconciled with the basic tenets of Christianity.
In a nutshell, i consider the martial arts to be a good source of discipline, a good system for a healthy and happy physical life but often its practitioners neglect and/or diminish a true spiritual life. Yes, they are 'good' people.

"role of a warrior should be to create peace" - is an absurd, or perhaps just an archaic, assertion. It basically promotes an ultimate doctrine that only through physical force and/or domination may peace be achieved. That only through an aggressive conquest may another be instructed.

Yes, Aikido does have that circular energy thing you're talking about.

In Judo they say push when pulled, pull when pushed.

In Aikido we say push when pulled, turn when pushed.

The concept of a warrior existing to stop violence is not archaic. The man who said this died in 1969. This is a new idea and if you understood his view of aiki then you wouldn't think it absurd and you would realize that it has nothing to do with domination.
As soon as you concern yourself with the 'good' and 'bad' of your fellows, you create an opening in your heart for maliciousness to enter. Testing, competing with, and criticizing others weaken and defeat you. - O'Sensei
_jo1952
_Emeritus

Post by _jo1952 »

Kittens_and_Jesus wrote:

The concept of a warrior existing to stop violence is not archaic. The man who said this died in 1969. This is a new idea and if you understood his view of aiki then you wouldn't think it absurd and you would realize that it has nothing to do with domination.

Hi K & J!

I believe that the "energy" is a spiritual energy. Because it stems from a desire for goodness, wherever this type of energy eminates it will hold power over dark forces. If it is engaging physical forces, it is easy to drift (and quickly) from working for good to working for evil. Yet this is true of all ALL belief systems. I hate to be a broken record; but we can see through Peter's example how quickly we can stray from Light to darkness.

Wouldn't it be nice if everyone could grasp onto the philosophy you hold? It would certainly discourage darkness! Those who do not live under the law, but nevertheless live as though they were, will be saved by their works. The entire world needs protection from darkness. God accomplishes His purposes through many sources, of which you are definitely one!

Thank you so much for your willingness to share and enlighten us. I feel blessed by your acquaintence.

Love,

jo
_Kittens_and_Jesus
_Emeritus

Post by _Kittens_and_Jesus »

jo1952 wrote:
Kittens_and_Jesus wrote:

Hi K & J!

I believe that the "energy" is a spiritual energy. Because it stems from a desire for goodness, wherever this type of energy eminates it will hold power over dark forces. If it is engaging physical forces, it is easy to drift (and quickly) from working for good to working for evil. Yet this is true of all ALL belief systems. I hate to be a broken record; but we can see through Peter's example how quickly we can stray from Light to darkness.

Wouldn't it be nice if everyone could grasp onto the philosophy you hold? It would certainly discourage darkness! Those who do not live under the law, but nevertheless live as though they were, will be saved by their works. The entire world needs protection from darkness. God accomplishes His purposes through many sources, of which you are definitely one!

Thank you so much for your willingness to share and enlighten us. I feel blessed by your acquaintence.

Love,

jo

Thank you for your kind words.

O'sensei believed that Aikido could unite the world. naïve? Maybe. If so, I wish we were all that naïve.
As soon as you concern yourself with the 'good' and 'bad' of your fellows, you create an opening in your heart for maliciousness to enter. Testing, competing with, and criticizing others weaken and defeat you. - O'Sensei
_jo1952
_Emeritus

Post by _jo1952 »

Kittens_and_Jesus wrote:
Thank you for your kind words.

O'sensei believed that Aikido could unite the world. naïve? Maybe. If so, I wish we were all that naïve.

Hello K & J!

I do not think O'sensei was naïve at all. I see Aikido as another version of love manifesting in and dealing with a physical world. Ultimately, it WILL be love which unites and makes us whole.

Blessings,

jo
_grindael
_Emeritus

Post by _grindael »

bump
Riding on a speeding train; trapped inside a revolving door;
Lost in the riddle of a quatrain; Stuck in an elevator between floors.
One focal point in a random world can change your direction:
One step where events converge may alter your perception.