God's body. Could Joseph Smith have been wrong.

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_Amore
_Emeritus

Re: God's body. Could Joseph Smith have been wrong.

Post by _Amore »

Tobin,
I agree with you about being selective with what to invest faith in.

And I also recognize that science is making progress in neurology, yet subjectivity is still not understood. I think it's because each school of thought clings tightly to its own ideologies or scientific paradigmes without considering truth from other schools of thought.

Like Carl Jung, I see no dividing line between psychology (study of the soul) and spirituality. By "spirituality" I don't mean religious restrictions on interpretation or experience.

I also believe, as it seems you do also, that if we could understand everything thoroughly, there would be no "mysterious magic" - but we'd clearly realize explanatory laws that are played out. However, wouldn't you agree we are very far off from understanding everything thoroughly? So until then, we're left to guess, or have faith and appreciate mysteries.
_Tobin
_Emeritus

Post by _Tobin »

Amore wrote:However, wouldn't you agree we are very far off from understanding everything thoroughly? So until then, we're left to guess, or have faith and appreciate mysteries.
Of course, we are very far off from 'understanding everything thoroughly'. In fact, that probably isn't even possible and I'm glad it isn't. I can't think of anything more hellish and boring that knowing everything. Think about that. If you knew everything, what would be the point of continuing to exist? That would be awful.
"You lack vision, but I see a place where people get on and off the freeway. On and off, off and on all day, all night.... Tire salons, automobile dealerships and wonderful, wonderful billboards reaching as far as the eye can see. My God, it'll be beautiful." -- Judge Doom
_Amore
_Emeritus

Post by _Amore »

Tobin wrote:
Amore wrote:However, wouldn't you agree we are very far off from understanding everything thoroughly? So until then, we're left to guess, or have faith and appreciate mysteries.
Of course, we are very far off from 'understanding everything thoroughly'. In fact, that probably isn't even possible and I'm glad it isn't. I can't think of anything more hellish and boring that knowing everything. Think about that. If you knew everything, what would be the point of continuing to exist? That would be awful.

I think you're right in a way.
Ignorance (the veil) is both our friend and foe.

For a while, I was kind of arrogant when I began to see aspects of Mormonism, Liberalism and psychology that many people around me were blind to. I was angry with them - because it seemed like they refused to see what was right in front of their face. Then I realized we each learn at our own pace and in our own way and I'm ignorant about a lot of things that these same people may be more knowledgable about.

I've wondered if maybe God is the totality of all knowledge - of every life form. If so, more reason to consider all to be teachers in some way.
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

Tobin wrote:

It is one thing to learn and another thing to do.
The application of knowledge has no bounds.
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_Tobin
_Emeritus

Post by _Tobin »

subgenius wrote:
Tobin wrote:Of course, we are very far off from 'understanding everything thoroughly'. In fact, that probably isn't even possible and I'm glad it isn't. I can't think of anything more hellish and boring that knowing everything. Think about that. If you knew everything, what would be the point of continuing to exist? That would be awful.

It is one thing to learn and another thing to do.
The application of knowledge has no bounds.

Sure it does. If you already know perfectly what the results will be, why bother?
"You lack vision, but I see a place where people get on and off the freeway. On and off, off and on all day, all night.... Tire salons, automobile dealerships and wonderful, wonderful billboards reaching as far as the eye can see. My God, it'll be beautiful." -- Judge Doom