Some General Thoughts on How to Treat Posters....

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_Yoda

Some General Thoughts on How to Treat Posters....

Post by _Yoda »

On the thread, "Capricious Banning", there were some points made that I thought might be wise to post in a separate thread:

moksha wrote:My concern at this moment is for all those other MAD posters who must endure the continuing capriciousness of the MAD moderation. This board could stand as a viable alternative, but I am still concerned about two things:

Profanity and ad hominem attacks on this Board - if they would be relegated to the Telestial forum ASAP, then this board's viability as a more idea friendly board would allow them to migrate easier. Right now, If Liz could keep an eye on both Vegas and Coggins, this would help a great deal. I would never wish to hinder their speech in the appropriate forum that allows for both profanity and insults, but I would like to see these user enticements guarded in this and the Celestial Forum.

My view of the Celestial forum, is that it is reserved for intellectual conversations, whereas this one should be for everyday concerns without posters feeling uncomfortable. I view the Telestial forum as an anything goes kind of place where one is free to indulge their raunchier side.

And that's exactly what Shades and I are attempting to do. As busy as the boards have been, sometimes it's not easy to get into every thread, but between the two of us, we give it a good college try! :)

Mok, if you, or anyone else on the board has concerns about a particular post, please PM me or Shades and we'll look at it. Again, be patient. We both have "real world" jobs and responsibilities, but we do try to keep fairly close tabs on the board.

Also...as has been demonstrated...Shades and I will normally err on the side of free speech as opposed to overt censorship.

I think we struck a good balance with the Kathy Worthington Memorial Thread situation. I regret, however, that rampant insults were flying, and there was a huge dramatic mess before I, or Shades, had a chance to view what was happening.

One thing that Shades, Keene, and I do expect, guys, is that you act like adults.

Everyone gets grouchy or tired. I know that every once in a while, someone is going to have a bad day and pop off unnecessarily.

But take some time to READ what you have taken the time to write BEFORE hitting the "Submit" button.

The beauty of a forum like this is that we actually have an opportunity to formulate our thoughts before we present them.

OK...I'm stepping off of my soap box now. ;)