It is currently Thu May 23, 2019 4:15 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Martin Luther on God's Acceptance of Lies
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:05 pm 
God

What harm would it do, if a man told a good strong lie for the sake of the good and for the Christian church … a lie out of necessity, a useful lie, a helpful lie, such lies would not be against God, he would accept them.

--Martin Luther, cited by his secretary, in a letter in Max Lenz, ed., Briefwechsel Landgraf Philips des Grossmuthigen von Hessen mit Bucer, vol. 1. Source: Sissela Bok, Lying: Moral Choice In Public and Private Life‎, New York: Pantheon Books, 1978, p. 47. German text of the quote.

Post subject: Re: Martin Luther on God's Acceptance of Lies
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:07 pm 
God

I cannot forbid a person to marry several wives, for it does not contradict Scripture.

--Martin Luther, letter to Chancellor Gregory Brück (An Den Kanzler Brück), 1524-01-13, Dr. Martin Luther's Briefe, Sendschreiben und Bedenken: volständig aus den verschiedenen Ausgaben seiner Werke und Briefe, aus andern Büchern und noch unbenutzten Handschriten gesammelt. From the Wilhelm Martin Leberecht De Wette Collection of Luther's Letters (Berlin: Georg reimer, 1826) Volume 2, p. 459 (Letter DLXXII; Latin text).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:11 am 
God

Maksutov wrote:
What harm would it do, if a man told a good strong lie for the sake of the good and for the Christian church … a lie out of necessity, a useful lie, a helpful lie, such lies would not be against God, he would accept them.

--Martin Luther, cited by his secretary, in a letter in Max Lenz, ed., Briefwechsel Landgraf Philips des Grossmuthigen von Hessen mit Bucer, vol. 1. Source: Sissela Bok, Lying: Moral Choice In Public and Private Life‎, New York: Pantheon Books, 1978, p. 47. German text of the quote.

Maksukov, I think whether you hear moral corruption or moral wisdom in this quote depends upon what sort of lies a person assumes are under consideration.

1943 France. "do you know any Jews being hidden in your neighborhood?" " why no, I have heard of no such here."

Rather different than, "this car (a true lemon) is trustworthy and a great buy."

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:20 am 
God

Maksutov wrote:
I cannot forbid a person to marry several wives, for it does not contradict Scripture.

--Martin Luther, letter to Chancellor Gregory Brück (An Den Kanzler Brück), 1524-01-13, Dr. Martin Luther's Briefe, Sendschreiben und Bedenken: volständig aus den verschiedenen Ausgaben seiner Werke und Briefe, aus andern Büchern und noch unbenutzten Handschriten gesammelt. From the Wilhelm Martin Leberecht De Wette Collection of Luther's Letters (Berlin: Georg reimer, 1826) Volume 2, p. 459 (Letter DLXXII; Latin text).

It might be noted that this comment is quite different than advising or commanding polygamy. It might also be observed that Luther declining to condemn polygamy does not mean he thinks that the government could not rule against it.

Luther tended to view people using their own judgement on decisions as a good thing.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:21 am 
God

huckelberry wrote:
Maksutov wrote:

It might be noted that this comment is quite different than advising or commanding polygamy. It might also be observed that Luther declining to condemn polygamy does not mean he thinks that the government could not rule against it.

Luther tended to view people using their own judgement on decisions as a good thing.

So they could ignore the Ten Commandments? :razz: Not exactly sola scriptura is it?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:24 pm 
God

Maksutov wrote:
huckelberry wrote:

So they could ignore the Ten Commandments? :razz: Not exactly sola scriptura is it?

Luther certainly made his mistakes and serious negatives. As best I can tell, taking sola scriptura as requiring not thinking was not one of them .

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:14 pm 
God

huckelberry wrote:
1943 France. "do you know any Jews being hidden in your neighborhood?" " why no, I have heard of no such here."

Rather different than, "this car (a true lemon) is trustworthy and a great buy."

So where would this one fall on that scale?
Quote:
An angel says you have to "marry" me or he will skewer me with his drawn sword.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:00 pm 
God

moksha wrote:
huckelberry wrote:

So where would this one fall on that scale?

Quote:
An angel says you have to "marry" me or he will skewer me with his drawn sword.

Example of God being an author of a lie

https://i.imgur.com/zcxh40m.jpg

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:17 am 
God

Mittens wrote:

Example of God considering doing evil, then repenting. Exodus 32:14.

"And the LORD repented of the evil which he thought to do unto his people."

It took Moses to talk God out of being an ahole. Since Moses, nobody bothers, apparently. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:47 pm 
God

Maksutov wrote:

However, the Bible clearly states that a Bishop is to be the husband of but one wife. So anyone thinking about being a church leader could not be a polygamist. Sort of ruins the whole Joseph Smith standard...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:52 pm 
God

Maksutov wrote:
Mittens wrote:

Example of God considering doing evil, then repenting. Exodus 32:14.

"And the LORD repented of the evil which he thought to do unto his people."

It took Moses to talk God out of being an ahole. Since Moses, nobody bothers, apparently. :lol:
I believe the Bible is expressing how GOD "feels" in human terms for our benefit. And GOD teaches man through such interactions. Remember Abraham dealing with GOD concerning Sodom and Gomorrah? The reality is we see that there were not 10 righteous individuals in any of those cities or GOD would have sparred them. Clearly, Abraham could not conceive that there could not be at least 10.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:18 pm 
God

LittleNipper wrote:
I believe the Bible is expressing how GOD "feels" in human terms for our benefit. And GOD teaches man through such interactions. Remember Abraham dealing with GOD concerning Sodom and Gomorrah? The reality is we see that there were not 10 righteous individuals in any of those cities or GOD would have sparred them. Clearly, Abraham could not conceive that there could not be at least 10.

Abraham the holy. The dude who would have killed his son for Yahweh and gave his daughters up to be raped for the same. Abraham was a disgusting man who found favor with an equally disgusting deity. I can tell a lot about people by what they worship. :wink:

A lovely story to tell people to value their shaman above their family.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:54 am 
Stake High Council

Maksutov wrote:

This was a man after my own heart. We look for the functionality of thing more than the truth of it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:59 am 
Stake High Council

huckelberry wrote:

Why would he condemn polygamy? Human relationships are not defined be the mathematics of them. He probably had several friends in such relationships.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:26 pm 
God

SPG wrote:
Maksutov wrote:

This was a man after my own heart. We look for the functionality of thing more than the truth of it.

Are you saying it's the consequences that matter and not the truth?

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:55 pm 
God

Dietrich Bonhoffer " It is better to be a lover of truth and tell a lie than a liar and tell a truth"

"If a teacher asks a student "Did your father come home drunk again last night it is ok for the student to lie and avoid shame. It is none of the teacher's business"

Luther "It is better to be ruled by a wise infidel than a Christian fool"

Israeli Archaeologist Israel Finkelstein: "For if there were no patriarchs no Exodus, no conquest of Canaan--and no prosperous united monarchy under David & Solomon--can we say that early biblical Israel as described in the Five Books of Moses and the books of Joshua Judges and Samuel ever existed at all?" The Bible Unearthed, p. 124.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:33 am 
Stake High Council

Res Ipsa wrote:

Truth is demonstrated in the consequences. Truth is a quest, and often a noble one, but also a fool's errand. It cannot be found.

The end result, (while measured and judged by our concepts of truth) should be really measure of thought or deed.

I wanted an entire town go at each other in the name of truth. I was like, "who cares, we are family." Which, in it's own was way truth, but not the whole truth, and just my take on truth. But I could tell, that this particular quest for truth, was pure maddest.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:08 pm 
God

SPG wrote:
Res Ipsa wrote:

Truth is demonstrated in the consequences. Truth is a quest, and often a noble one, but also a fool's errand. It cannot be found.

The end result, (while measured and judged by our concepts of truth) should be really measure of thought or deed.

I wanted an entire town go at each other in the name of truth. I was like, "who cares, we are family." Which, in it's own was way truth, but not the whole truth, and just my take on truth. But I could tell, that this particular quest for truth, was pure maddest.

That bit you stuck in parenthesis is the bit that makes your view of truth v. effect incoherent. Yes, you can use postmodernist deconstruction to tear down the ideas you don’t like while protecting the ideas you like by special pleading, but the unjustified inconsistency is pretty glaring.

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:38 pm 
God

Common Liturgical Calendar: Tomorrow will be Spy Wednesday.

Spy Wednesday gets its name because that is the day on which Judas betrayed Jesus to the General Authorities in the Sanhedrin.

Hope that helps.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:52 am 
Stake High Council

Res Ipsa wrote:

That bit you stuck in parenthesis is the bit that makes your view of truth v. effect incoherent. Yes, you can use postmodernist deconstruction to tear down the ideas you don’t like while protecting the ideas you like by special pleading, but the unjustified inconsistency is pretty glaring.

You say I'm bias in my deconstruction of ideas?

Maybe....

But I try to be consistent. I admit that even my favorite ideas can be torn a apart. But, it's true that I like some ideas more true than others. I can use some ideas more than others. Just because I find an idea useful doesn't make it more truth then one I don't like. I think the actual truth of the universe scares us.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:11 pm 
Savior (resurrected)

SPG wrote:
Res Ipsa wrote:

You say I'm bias in my deconstruction of ideas?

Maybe....

But I try to be consistent. I admit that even my favorite ideas can be torn a apart. But, it's true that I like some ideas more true than others. I can use some ideas more than others. Just because I find an idea useful doesn't make it more truth then one I don't like. I think the actual truth of the universe scares us.

I admire your gumption, SPG. You’re so open and sharing a lot that gets torn apart. Of course it’s much easier to destroy than to build. This forum and others that are predominantly Atheist, have tested my faith - sometimes too much.

A couple other comments... It never ceases to amaze me how obsessed ex-Mormon men are with polygamy. I’m not meaning you - you have a much more realistic idea of it. But I’ve noticed in some men - who could pick so many Mormon controversies - but focus on polygamy. I think it’s part of their shadow fantasy. ;) The fact is that many people practice secret polygamy - cheating. My husband’s dad had a whole other family in a different city - of which his other un-wed “wife” & family had no idea.

I like what you wrote, “We look for the functionality of thing more than the truth of it.” True! I’m sure there are many cases of functional illusions, but an obvious one is every 1st week of January- gyms are packed - the belief that daily exercise is most important... when really it’s like 20% & diet 80%. Yet, often exercise improves diet - so it works. Music and especially dance are also functional illusions - not exactly logically truthful - but they can be powerful in various ways.