It is currently Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:36 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4705 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 221, 222, 223, 224, 225  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Bible verse by verse
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:21 pm 
Area Authority
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:49 pm
Posts: 604
Maksutov wrote:
LittleNipper wrote:
God wrote the scriptures through humans inspired by the Holy Spirit.
Just like he wrote the Q'ran?
:lol:


i think every sects/denominations/religions have their own scriptures, written by god - through humans
... humans who had a great asset from this "inspiration" ...

:lol: :lol:

_________________
Choyo Chagas is Chairman of the Big Four, the ruler of the planet from "The Bull's Hour" ( Russian: Час Быка), a social science fiction novel written by Soviet author and paleontologist Ivan Yefremov in 1968.
Six months after its publication Soviet authorities banned the book and attempted to remove it from libraries and bookshops.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Bible verse by verse
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:59 pm 
God

Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:49 am
Posts: 4197
James 1:1-27

From: James, God and the Lord Jesus the Messiah's servant

To: The 12 Tribes in the Diaspora:

Peace!

Regard as all joy, my brethren, when you face various types of temptations;

for you know that the testing of your trust produces perseverance.

But let perseverance complete its work; so that you may be complete and whole, lacking nothing.

Now if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives to all generously and without reproach; and it will be given to him.

But let him ask in trust, doubting nothing; for the doubter is like a wave in the sea being tossed and driven by the wind.

Actually, that person should not think that he will receive anything from the Lord,

because he is double-minded, unstable in everything he does.

Let a poor boy boast about his high position.

But let the rich brother boast about his humility; since, like a wildflower, he will pass away.

For just as the sun rises with it's heat and dries up the plant, so that its flower falls off and its beauty is destroyed, so too the rich person going about his business will wither away.

How blessed is the man who perseveres through temptation! For after he has passed the test, he will receive as his crown the Life which God has promised to those who love him.

No one being tempted should say, “God's tempting me.” For God cannot be tempted by evil, and God himself tempts no one.

Instead, each person is being tempted whenever he is being dragged off and enticed by the bait of his own desire.

Then, having conceived, the desire gives birth to sin; and when sin has fully matured, it gives birth to death.

Don’t delude yourselves, my dear brethren.

Every good act of giving and every perfect gift comes from above, descending from the Father who created the heavenly lights; with him there is neither variation nor darkness caused by turning.

Having decided, He gave birth to us through a Word that can be believed, so that we should be a kind of firstfruits of all that He created.

Therefore, my dear brethern, let every person be quick to listen but slow to speak --- slow to get angry.

person’s anger does not accomplish God’s righteousness!

Empty yourselves of all vulgarity and obvious evil, and receive meekly the Word imbedded in you that can save your lives.

Don’t deceive yourselves by merely hearing the Word, but do it!

For whoever hears the Word but doesn’t do what it says is like someone who views his face in a mirror,

looks at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like.

But if a person looks closely into the perfect Law, providing freedom, and continues, becoming not a forgetful hearer but a doer of the work it requires, then he will be blessed in what he does.

Anyone who thinks he is religiously observant but does not control his tongue is deceiving himself, and his observance does not count.

The religious observance that God the Father considers pure and faultless is this: to care for orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being contaminated by the world.

Young's Literal Translation (YLT)

1 James, of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ a servant, to the Twelve Tribes who are in the dispersion: Hail!

2 All joy count [it], my brethren, when ye may fall into temptations manifold;

3 knowing that the proof of your faith doth work endurance,

4 and let the endurance have a perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire -- in nothing lacking;

5 and if any of you do lack wisdom, let him ask from God, who is giving to all liberally, and not reproaching, and it shall be given to him;

6 and let him ask in faith, nothing doubting, for he who is doubting hath been like a wave of the sea, driven by wind and tossed,

7 for let not that man suppose that he shall receive anything from the Lord --

8 a two-souled man [is] unstable in all his ways.

9 And let the brother who is low rejoice in his exaltation,

10 and the rich in his becoming low, because as a flower of grass he shall pass away;

11 for the sun did rise with the burning heat, and did wither the grass, and the flower of it fell, and the grace of its appearance did perish, so also the rich in his way shall fade away!

12 Happy the man who doth endure temptation, because, becoming approved, he shall receive the crown of the life, which the Lord did promise to those loving Him.

13 Let no one say, being tempted -- `From God I am tempted,' for God is not tempted of evil, and Himself doth tempt no one,

14 and each one is tempted, by his own desires being led away and enticed,

15 afterward the desire having conceived, doth give birth to sin, and the sin having been perfected, doth bring forth death.

16 Be not led astray, my brethren beloved;

17 every good giving, and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the lights, with whom is no variation, or shadow of turning;

18 having counselled, He did beget us with a word of truth, for our being a certain first-fruit of His creatures.

19 So then, my brethren beloved, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to anger,

20 for the wrath of a man the righteousness of God doth not work;

21 wherefore having put aside all filthiness and superabundance of evil, in meekness be receiving the engrafted word, that is able to save your souls;

22 and become ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves,

23 because, if any one is a hearer of the word and not a doer, this one hath been like to a man viewing his natural face in a mirror,

24 for he did view himself, and hath gone away, and immediately he did forget of what kind he was;

25 and he who did look into the perfect law -- that of liberty, and did continue there, this one -- not a forgetful hearer becoming, but a doer of work -- this one shall be happy in his doing.

26 If any one doth think to be religious among you, not bridling his tongue, but deceiving his heart, of this one vain [is] the religion;

27 religion pure and undefiled with the God and Father is this, to look after orphans and widows in their tribulation -- unspotted to keep himself from the world.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Bible verse by verse
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:59 pm 
God

Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:49 am
Posts: 4197
James 1:1-27

From: James --- the servant of God and Lord Jesus the Messiah.

To: The 12 Tribes being dispersed:

Peace!

Regard as all joy, my brethren, when you face various types of temptations;

for you know that the testing of your trust produces perseverance.

But let perseverance complete its work; so that you may be complete and whole, lacking nothing.

Now if any of you lack understanding, let him ask God, who gives to all generously and without reproach; and it will be given to him.

But let him ask in trust, doubting nothing; for the doubter is like a wave in the sea being tossed and driven by the wind.

Actually, that person should not think that he will receive anything from the Lord,

because he is double-minded, unstable in everything he does.

Let a poor boy boast about his high position.

But let the rich brother boast about his humility; since, like a wildflower, he will pass away.

For just as the sun rises with it's heat and dries up the plant, so that its flower falls off and its beauty is destroyed, so too the rich person going about his business will wither away.

How blessed is the man who perseveres through temptation! For after he has passed the test, he will receive as his crown the Life which God has promised to those who love him.

No one being tempted should say, “God's tempting me.” For God cannot be tempted by evil, and God himself tempts no one.

Instead, each person is being tempted whenever he is being dragged off and enticed by the bait of his own desire.

Then, having conceived, the desire gives birth to sin; and when sin has fully matured, it gives birth to death.

Don’t delude yourselves, my dear brethren.

Every good act of giving and every perfect gift comes from above, descending from the Father who created the heavenly lights; with him there is neither variation nor darkness caused by turning.

Having decided, He gave birth to us through a Word that can be believed, so that we should be a kind of firstfruits of all that He created.

Therefore, my dear brethern, let every person be quick to listen but slow to speak --- slow to get angry.

person’s anger does not accomplish God’s righteousness!

Empty yourselves of all vulgarity and obvious evil, and receive meekly the Word imbedded in you that can save your lives.

Don’t deceive yourselves by merely hearing the Word, but do it!

For whoever hears the Word but doesn’t do what it says is like someone who views his face in a mirror,

looks at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like.

But if a person looks closely into the perfect Law, providing freedom, and continues, becoming not a forgetful hearer but a doer of the work it requires, then he will be blessed in what he does.

Anyone who thinks he is religiously observant but does not control his tongue is deceiving himself, and his observance does not count.

The religious observance that God the Father considers pure and faultless is this: to care for orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being contaminated by the world.

Young's Literal Translation (YLT)

1 James, of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ a servant, to the Twelve Tribes who are in the dispersion: Hail!

2 All joy count [it], my brethren, when ye may fall into temptations manifold;

3 knowing that the proof of your faith doth work endurance,

4 and let the endurance have a perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire -- in nothing lacking;

5 and if any of you do lack wisdom, let him ask from God, who is giving to all liberally, and not reproaching, and it shall be given to him;

6 and let him ask in faith, nothing doubting, for he who is doubting hath been like a wave of the sea, driven by wind and tossed,

7 for let not that man suppose that he shall receive anything from the Lord --

8 a two-souled man [is] unstable in all his ways.

9 And let the brother who is low rejoice in his exaltation,

10 and the rich in his becoming low, because as a flower of grass he shall pass away;

11 for the sun did rise with the burning heat, and did wither the grass, and the flower of it fell, and the grace of its appearance did perish, so also the rich in his way shall fade away!

12 Happy the man who doth endure temptation, because, becoming approved, he shall receive the crown of the life, which the Lord did promise to those loving Him.

13 Let no one say, being tempted -- `From God I am tempted,' for God is not tempted of evil, and Himself doth tempt no one,

14 and each one is tempted, by his own desires being led away and enticed,

15 afterward the desire having conceived, doth give birth to sin, and the sin having been perfected, doth bring forth death.

16 Be not led astray, my brethren beloved;

17 every good giving, and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the lights, with whom is no variation, or shadow of turning;

18 having counselled, He did beget us with a word of truth, for our being a certain first-fruit of His creatures.

19 So then, my brethren beloved, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to anger,

20 for the wrath of a man the righteousness of God doth not work;

21 wherefore having put aside all filthiness and superabundance of evil, in meekness be receiving the engrafted word, that is able to save your souls;

22 and become ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves,

23 because, if any one is a hearer of the word and not a doer, this one hath been like to a man viewing his natural face in a mirror,

24 for he did view himself, and hath gone away, and immediately he did forget of what kind he was;

25 and he who did look into the perfect law -- that of liberty, and did continue there, this one -- not a forgetful hearer becoming, but a doer of work -- this one shall be happy in his doing.

26 If any one doth think to be religious among you, not bridling his tongue, but deceiving his heart, of this one vain [is] the religion;

27 religion pure and undefiled with the God and Father is this, to look after orphans and widows in their tribulation -- unspotted to keep himself from the world.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Bible verse by verse
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:52 pm 
God

Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:49 am
Posts: 4197
James 2:1-26

James 2

Brethren, practice the faith of our Lord Jesus, the glorious Messiah, without showing favoritism.

Suppose a man comes into your sanctuary wearing gold rings and swell duds, and also a poor man comes in dressed in shabby clothes.

If you show more respect to the man wearing the fancy duds and say to him, “Have this special seat here,” while to the poor man you say, “You, stand over there,” or, “Sit down on the floor at my feet,”

then aren’t you fabricating cliques among yourselves, and haven’t you made yourselves into judges with evil intentions?

Now pay attention , my dear brethren, hasn’t God chosen the poor of the world to be rich in faith and to receive the Kingdom which He promised to those who love him?

But you despise the poor! Aren’t the rich the very ones who oppress you and drag you into court?

Aren’t they the ones who insult the good name of Him to whom you belong?

If you truly attain the goal of Kingdom Law, in conformity with the passage that says, “Love your neighbor as yourself,” you're fine.

But if you show favoritism, your actions constitute sin, since you are convicted under the Law as transgressors.

For a person who keeps the Law, yet stumbles at one point, has become guilty of breaking them all.

For the One who said, “Don’t commit adultery,” also said, “Don’t murder.” Now, if you don’t commit adultery but do murder, you have transgressed the Law.

Keep speaking and acting like people who will be judged by a Law which gives freedom.

For judgment will be without mercy toward one who never displays mercy; but mercy wins out over judgment.

What good is it, my brethren, if someone claims to have faith but doesn't do anything? Is such “faith” able to save him?

Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and nourishment,

and someone says to him, “Peace! Keep warm and eat to your heart's content!” without giving him anything, what good does it do?

So, faith by itself, unaccompanied by actions, is empty.

But someone will say that you have faith and I have actions. Show me this faith of yours without the actions, and I will show you my faith in action!

You believe that “God is one”? Good for you! The demons believe it too — the thought makes them fearfully shudder!

But, silly boy, do you want to be shown that such “faith” apart from actions is empty?

Wasn’t Abraham out ancestor declared righteous because of actions when he offered up his son Isaac on the altar?

You see that his faith participated with his behavior; by the actions the faith was completed;

and the passage of the was fulfilled which says, “Abraham had faith in God, and it was credited to his account as righteousness.” He was even called God’s friend.

You see that a person is declared righteous because of actions and simply because of faith alone.

And in the same way, wasn’t Rahab the prostitute also declared righteous because of actions when she welcomed the messengers and then sent them out by a different route?

Indeed, just as the body without a spirit is a corpse, so too faith without any actions is comatose.

Young's Literal Translation (YLT)

1 My brethren, hold not, in respect of persons, the faith of the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ,

2 for if there may come into your synagogue a man with gold ring, in gay raiment, and there may come in also a poor man in vile raiment,

3 and ye may look upon him bearing the gay raiment, and may say to him, `Thou -- sit thou here well,' and to the poor man may say, `Thou -- stand thou there, or, Sit thou here under my footstool,' --

4 ye did not judge fully in yourselves, and did become ill-reasoning judges.

5 Hearken, my brethren beloved, did not God choose the poor of this world, rich in faith, and heirs of the reign that He promised to those loving Him?

6 and ye did dishonour the poor one; do not the rich oppress you and themselves draw you to judgment-seats;

7 do they not themselves speak evil of the good name that was called upon you?

8 If, indeed, royal law ye complete, according to the Writing, `Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself,' -- ye do well;

9 and if ye accept persons, sin ye do work, being convicted by the law as transgressors;

10 for whoever the whole law shall keep, and shall stumble in one [point], he hath become guilty of all;

11 for He who is saying, `Thou mayest not commit adultery,' said also, `Thou mayest do no murder;' and if thou shalt not commit adultery, and shalt commit murder, thou hast become a transgressor of law;

12 so speak ye and so do, as about by a law of liberty to be judged,

13 for the judgment without kindness [is] to him not having done kindness, and exult doth kindness over judgment.

14 What [is] the profit, my brethren, if faith, any one may speak of having, and works he may not have? is that faith able to save him?

15 and if a brother or sister may be naked, and may be destitute of the daily food,

16 and any one of you may say to them, `Depart ye in peace, be warmed, and be filled,' and may not give to them the things needful for the body, what [is] the profit?

17 so also the faith, if it may not have works, is dead by itself.

18 But say may some one, Thou hast faith, and I have works, shew me thy faith out of thy works, and I will shew thee out of my works my faith:

19 thou -- thou dost believe that God is one; thou dost well, and the demons believe, and they shudder!

20 And dost thou wish to know, O vain man, that the faith apart from the works is dead?

21 Abraham our father -- was not he declared righteous out of works, having brought up Isaac his son upon the altar?

22 dost thou see that the faith was working with his works, and out of the works the faith was perfected?

23 and fulfilled was the Writing that is saying, `And Abraham did believe God, and it was reckoned to him -- to righteousness;' and, `Friend of God' he was called.

24 Ye see, then, that out of works is man declared righteous, and not out of faith only;

25 and in like manner also Rahab the harlot -- was she not out of works declared righteous, having received the messengers, and by another way having sent forth?

26 for as the body apart from the spirit is dead, so also the faith apart from the works is dead.


Last edited by LittleNipper on Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Bible verse by verse
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:16 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:19 pm
Posts: 8883
Location: Multiverse
And so which James wrote this, Nipper? Why should it be considered scriptural? There is little consensus on its authorship and it raises some serious theological issues.

_________________
"It is worth repeating--with drum roll, please: "without evidence what you say is worthless". That is the vast chasm at play here on MormonDiscussions in almost all substantive disagreement." — SockPuppet


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Bible verse by verse
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:20 am 
God

Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:49 am
Posts: 4197
Maksutov wrote:
And so which James wrote this, Nipper? Why should it be considered scriptural? There is little consensus on its authorship and it raises some serious theological issues.

Jesus had several brothers. So he is NOT James, the brother of John, and he is NOT James, the son of ALphaeus.

In fact, James, (the son of Mary and Joseph and, therefore, the half brother of Jesus), was originally a skeptic and did not believe that Jesus was God until AFTER Jesus' death and resurrection. But, then he accepted that Jesus was really God and he became a "believer," a Christian. Therefore, the James (mentioned by Paul in Galatians 1:19) is, indeed, the Lord's brother. But, he did not become an apostle until AFTER Jesus' death, burial, and resurrection from the dead.

James, the brother of Jesus, not only became a "believer" in Jesus, but he also became the "pastor" of the Church in Jerusalem and was an important and highly respected "leader" among Christians (Believers) at that time. And absolutely, while serving as Pastor and "leader" of the Church, one of the many things that James, the brother of Jesus, did was to write the New Testament Book (Letter) of James, the book which bow bears his name.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Bible verse by verse
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:27 am 
God

Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:49 am
Posts: 4197
James 3:1-18

Not many of you should become teachers, brethren, because such will receive more severe judgment.

For we all make mistakes. if someone does not stumble in what he says, he is a mature man who can bridle his whole body.

In placing a bit into a horse’s mouth to make it obey us, we also control its entire body.

And imagine a ship — although it is huge and is driven by strong winds, yet the pilot can steer it wherever he wants by a small rudder.

So too the tongue is a tiny part of the body, yet it boasts a lot. See how a tiny flame sets an entire forest ablaze!

Yes, the tongue is a fire, a world of wickedness. The tongue is so placed in our body that it defiles every part of it, setting ablaze the whole of our life; and it is set on fire by hell itself.

For people control and continue to tame all kinds of animals, birds, reptiles and sea creatures;

but the tongue no one can tame — it is an unstable and evil thing, full of death-dealing poison!

With it we bless God, the Father; and with it we curse people, who were created in God's likeness.

Out of the same mouth come blessing and cursing! Brethren, it's not correct for things to be like this.

A spring doesn’t send both fresh and stagnant water from the same opening, does it?

Can a fig tree yield olives, my brethren? or a grapevine, figs? Neither does salt water produce fresh.

Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him illustrate it by righteous living, by actions done in the humility that grows out of wisdom.

But if you hold in your hearts bitter jealousy and selfish ambition, don’t boast and attack truth with deception!

Such logic is not the kind that comes down from above; quite the contrary, it is materialistic, unspiritual, demonic.

For where there are jealousy and selfish ambition, there will be disharmony and all sorts of terrible behavior.

But the wisdom from above is, first of all, pure, then peaceful, kind, open to rationalization, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality and hypocrisy.

And peacemakers who distribute seed in peace raise a harvest of righteousness.


Young's Literal Translation (YLT)

1 Many teachers become not, my brethren, having known that greater judgment we shall receive,

2 for we all make many stumbles; if any one in word doth not stumble, this one [is] a perfect man, able to bridle also the whole body;

3 lo, the bits we put into the mouths of the horses for their obeying us, and their whole body we turn about;

4 lo, also the ships, being so great, and by fierce winds being driven, are led about by a very small helm, whithersoever the impulse of the helmsman doth counsel,

5 so also the tongue is a little member, and doth boast greatly; lo, a little fire how much wood it doth kindle!

6 and the tongue [is] a fire, the world of the unrighteousness, so the tongue is set in our members, which is spotting our whole body, and is setting on fire the course of nature, and is set on fire by the gehenna.

7 For every nature, both of beasts and of fowls, both of creeping things and things of the sea, is subdued, and hath been subdued, by the human nature,

8 and the tongue no one of men is able to subdue, [it is] an unruly evil, full of deadly poison,

9 with it we do bless the God and Father, and with it we do curse the men made according to the similitude of God;

10 out of the same mouth doth come forth blessing and cursing; it doth not need, my brethren, these things so to happen;

11 doth the fountain out of the same opening pour forth the sweet and the bitter?

12 is a fig-tree able, my brethren, olives to make? or a vine figs? so no fountain salt and sweet water [is able] to make.

13 Who [is] wise and intelligent among you? let him shew out of the good behaviour his works in meekness of wisdom,

14 and if bitter zeal ye have, and rivalry in your heart, glory not, nor lie against the truth;

15 this wisdom is not descending from above, but earthly, physical, demon-like,

16 for where zeal and rivalry [are], there is insurrection and every evil matter;

17 and the wisdom from above, first, indeed, is pure, then peaceable, gentle, easily entreated, full of kindness and good fruits, uncontentious, and unhypocritical: --

18 and the fruit of the righteousness in peace is sown to those making peace.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Bible verse by verse
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:26 am 
God
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:19 pm
Posts: 8883
Location: Multiverse
LittleNipper wrote:
Maksutov wrote:
And so which James wrote this, Nipper? Why should it be considered scriptural? There is little consensus on its authorship and it raises some serious theological issues.

Jesus had several brothers. So he is NOT James, the brother of John, and he is NOT James, the son of ALphaeus.

In fact, James, (the son of Mary and Joseph and, therefore, the half brother of Jesus), was originally a skeptic and did not believe that Jesus was God until AFTER Jesus' death and resurrection. But, then he accepted that Jesus was really God and he became a "believer," a Christian. Therefore, the James (mentioned by Paul in Galatians 1:19) is, indeed, the Lord's brother. But, he did not become an apostle until AFTER Jesus' death, burial, and resurrection from the dead.

James, the brother of Jesus, not only became a "believer" in Jesus, but he also became the "pastor" of the Church in Jerusalem and was an important and highly respected "leader" among Christians (Believers) at that time. And absolutely, while serving as Pastor and "leader" of the Church, one of the many things that James, the brother of Jesus, did was to write the New Testament Book (Letter) of James, the book which bow bears his name.


I imagine the brothers of Jesus were like the brothers of Joseph Smith. They knew he wasn't all that he claimed to be but went along with his shtick as long as it benefited them. That also explains why James finally "came to believe" in Jesus. He wanted to be part of a community where he would be one of the elect. No mystery or divinity there. :wink:

_________________
"It is worth repeating--with drum roll, please: "without evidence what you say is worthless". That is the vast chasm at play here on MormonDiscussions in almost all substantive disagreement." — SockPuppet


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Bible verse by verse
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:23 pm 
Area Authority
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:49 pm
Posts: 604
LittleNipper wrote:
...
In fact, James, (the son of Mary and Joseph and, therefore, the half brother of Jesus)
...

joseph was an old widower - at that time, when he married mary -, with adult children; among them james...

so the "half brother" issued by joseph's previous wife

_________________
Choyo Chagas is Chairman of the Big Four, the ruler of the planet from "The Bull's Hour" ( Russian: Час Быка), a social science fiction novel written by Soviet author and paleontologist Ivan Yefremov in 1968.
Six months after its publication Soviet authorities banned the book and attempted to remove it from libraries and bookshops.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Bible verse by verse
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:23 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:29 pm
Posts: 3361
Choyo Chagas wrote:
LittleNipper wrote:
...
In fact, James, (the son of Mary and Joseph and, therefore, the half brother of Jesus)
...

joseph was an old widower - at that time, when he married mary -, with adult children; among them james...

so the "half brother" issued by joseph's previous wife


You believe that late tale? (constructed to fulfill the theological assumptions of later centuries)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Bible verse by verse
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:25 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:29 pm
Posts: 3361
Maksutov wrote:
And so which James wrote this, Nipper? Why should it be considered scriptural? There is little consensus on its authorship and it raises some serious theological issues.


wouldn't raising questions be a good reason to consider it scripture?

Better reason than would be provided by knowing which James is the author I think.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Bible verse by verse
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:01 am 
Area Authority
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:49 pm
Posts: 604
huckelberry wrote:
You believe that late tale? (constructed to fulfill the theological assumptions of later centuries)

i believe nothing about any religions/messiahs/prophets/scriptures

especially prophecies... (augury would be a better word)

in the crowd of believers i believe - play as if... - every word, as i don't like religious war

last week i took part ten days in a health centre

neither my wife nor i am adventist (they are...)
i've cooperated, didn't oppose

you know, the ellen white bunch ("hysteria, epilepsy, catalepsy, and ecstasy")

_________________
Choyo Chagas is Chairman of the Big Four, the ruler of the planet from "The Bull's Hour" ( Russian: Час Быка), a social science fiction novel written by Soviet author and paleontologist Ivan Yefremov in 1968.
Six months after its publication Soviet authorities banned the book and attempted to remove it from libraries and bookshops.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Bible verse by verse
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:11 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:19 pm
Posts: 8883
Location: Multiverse
huckelberry wrote:
Maksutov wrote:
And so which James wrote this, Nipper? Why should it be considered scriptural? There is little consensus on its authorship and it raises some serious theological issues.


wouldn't raising questions be a good reason to consider it scripture?

Better reason than would be provided by knowing which James is the author I think.


Various apocrypha include all sorts of unusual, even incongruous teachings, accounts and elements that you don't find in the Bible we've come to know. That didn't help them to be included in the canon but may have precluded it. I think it's a matter of what you're accustomed to. :wink:

For me the issues raised by James have to do with the perpetual virginity of Mary, the nature of the Godhead, the reliability of the Gospel accounts, the implications of the de-emphasis of Jesus' family among the followers of Paul, etc.--issues that indicate political considerations and pragmatic influences upon the development, or accounts of development, of the early church. This is to be expected of a human enterprise and complies with the dynamics of other new religious movements we've seen throughout history.

_________________
"It is worth repeating--with drum roll, please: "without evidence what you say is worthless". That is the vast chasm at play here on MormonDiscussions in almost all substantive disagreement." — SockPuppet


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Bible verse by verse
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:39 am 
God

Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:49 am
Posts: 4197
Choyo Chagas wrote:
LittleNipper wrote:
...
In fact, James, (the son of Mary and Joseph and, therefore, the half brother of Jesus)
...

joseph was an old widower - at that time, when he married mary -, with adult children; among them james...

so the "half brother" issued by joseph's previous wife
No, Joseph was a young carpenter who had likely been betrothed to Mary from childhood,as was often a Jewish custom at that time. He was even informed in a dream by the angel Gabriel not to have sex with Mary until after the birth of Jesus. Some Roman Catholics wish to create of Mary the Immaculata and a perpetual virgin --- neither of which is biblical.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Bible verse by verse
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:53 am 
God

Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:49 am
Posts: 4197
James 4:1-17

What is causing all the quarrels and fighting among you? Isn’t it your desires battling inside you?

You want things and don’t have them. You murder, you are jealous, and you still can’t achieve them. So you fight and quarrel. The reason you don’t have is that you don’t pray!

Or you pray and don’t receive, because you pray with wrong motives, that are selfish.

You unfaithful wives! Don’t you realize that loving the world is hating God? Whoever chooses to be the world’s friend makes himself God’s enemy!

Or do you imagine the Scripture speaks for nothing when it reveals that there is a spirit in us which longs to envy?

But the grace He gives is greater, which is why it says, “God opposes the arrogant, but to the humble He provides grace.”

So, submit to God.additionally. take a stand against the Adversary, and he will run away from you.

Come close to God, and he will come close to you. Wash your hands, sinners; and purify your hearts, you double-minded people!

Wail, mourn, cry! Let your laughter be turned into mourning and your joy into gloom!

Humble yourselves before the Lord, and He will boost you up.

Brethern, stop speaking against each other! Whoever speaks against a fellow believer or judges a believer is speaking against the Law and judging it. And if you judge the Law, you are not a doer of what Law reveals, but its judge.

There is but one Giver of Law; He is also the Judge, with the power to deliver and to destroy. Who do you think you are, judging your fellow human believer?

Hear me, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we will go here or there, stay there a year trading and make money”!

You don’t even know if you will live to see tomorrow! For all you are is a mist that appears for a very short time and then vanishes.

Instead, you should say, “If Lord wishes it to happen, we will live” to do this or that.

But as it is, in your selfish arrogance you boast. All such boasting is evil.

So then, anyone who understands the right thing to do and fails to do it is committing sin.

Young's Literal Translation (YLT)

1 Whence [are] wars and fightings among you? not thence -- out of your passions, that are as soldiers in your members?

2 ye desire, and ye have not; ye murder, and are zealous, and are not able to attain; ye fight and war, and ye have not, because of your not asking;

3 ye ask, and ye receive not, because evilly ye ask, that in your pleasures ye may spend [it].

4 Adulterers and adulteresses! have ye not known that friendship of the world is enmity with God? whoever, then, may counsel to be a friend of the world, an enemy of God he is set.

5 Do ye think that emptily the Writing saith, `To envy earnestly desireth the spirit that did dwell in us,'

6 and greater grace he doth give, wherefore he saith, `God against proud ones doth set Himself up, and to lowly ones He doth give grace?'

7 be subject, then, to God; stand up against the devil, and he will flee from you;

8 draw nigh to God, and He will draw nigh to you; cleanse hands, ye sinners! and purify hearts, ye two-souled!

9 be exceeding afflicted, and mourn, and weep, let your laughter to mourning be turned, and the joy to heaviness;

10 be made low before the Lord, and He shall exalt you.

11 Speak not one against another, brethren; he who is speaking against a brother, and is judging his brother, doth speak against law, and doth judge law, and if law thou dost judge, thou art not a doer of law but a judge;

12 one is the lawgiver, who is able to save and to destroy; thou -- who art thou that dost judge the other?

13 Go, now, ye who are saying, `To-day and to-morrow we will go on to such a city, and will pass there one year, and traffic, and make gain;'

14 who do not know the thing of the morrow; for what is your life? for it is a vapour that is appearing for a little, and then is vanishing;

15 instead of your saying, `If the Lord may will, we shall live, and do this or that;'

16 and now ye glory in your pride; all such glorying is evil;

17 to him, then, knowing to do good, and not doing, sin it is to him.


Last edited by LittleNipper on Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Bible verse by verse
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:17 am 
God

Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:49 am
Posts: 4197
J


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Bible verse by verse
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:04 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:29 pm
Posts: 3361
LittleNipper wrote:
Choyo Chagas wrote:
joseph was an old widower - at that time, when he married mary -, with adult children; among them james...

so the "half brother" issued by joseph's previous wife
No, Joseph was a young carpenter who had likely been betrothed to Mary from childhood,as was often a Jewish custom at that time. He was even informed in a dream by the angel Gabriel not to have sex with Mary until after the birth of Jesus. Some Roman Catholics wish to create of Mary the Immaculata and a perpetual virgin --- neither of which is biblical.


Nipper, the view you present here seems entirely reasonable to me. I do not know of any contradictory evidence. However I do notice that the Bible and first century writings do not provide us with information about James life and death and do not explain who his mother was. We have nothing about what happened to Joseph, what happened to Mary or the general story and fate of Jesus's family.

I think those lost stories are what is puzzling Maksutov. I could on the other hand be asking him just what question is puzzling him. That the Bible and church were put together by humans is beyond question.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Bible verse by verse
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:07 pm 
Area Authority
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:49 pm
Posts: 604
Choyo Chagas wrote:
joseph was an old widower - at that time, when he married mary -, with adult children; among them james...
LittleNipper wrote:
No, Joseph was a young carpenter who had likely been ...
huckelberry wrote:
...
However I do notice that the Bible and first century writings do not provide us with information about James life and death and do not explain who his mother was. We have nothing about what happened to Joseph, what happened to Mary or the general story and fate of Jesus's family.

at this point my words are against littlenipper's ones
and the bible remains silent about


huckelberry wrote:
I think those lost stories are what is puzzling Maksutov. I could on the other hand be asking him just what question is puzzling him.
maksutov :question:

_________________
Choyo Chagas is Chairman of the Big Four, the ruler of the planet from "The Bull's Hour" ( Russian: Час Быка), a social science fiction novel written by Soviet author and paleontologist Ivan Yefremov in 1968.
Six months after its publication Soviet authorities banned the book and attempted to remove it from libraries and bookshops.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Bible verse by verse
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:16 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:29 pm
Posts: 3361
Choyo, whether you or Nipper have the more accurate picture about James and his family I really do not know. Sorry to be of no help.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Bible verse by verse
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:27 am 
God

Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:49 am
Posts: 4197
We do know that Mary was placed in the care of John at the cross. The Bible inevitably concerns Christ and HIS plan of SALVATION! I believe that one day believers may be introduced to Mary and Joseph and the believer will be able to ask all sorts of things... At least for a season.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Bible verse by verse
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:33 am 
God

Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:49 am
Posts: 4197
James 5:1-20

What follows is a word for the rich: cry and mourn over the hardships coming at you!

Your riches have been lost, and your clothes are moth eaten;

your gold and silver have corroded, and their corrosion will be evidence against you and will consume your flesh like fire! This is the testimony --- and see you have been storing up wealth!

Now hear this! The wages you have fraudulently withheld from the workers who mowed your fields are a testimony against you, and the outcries of those who harvested have reached the ears of the Lord of His Sabbath day.

You have led a life of luxury and self-indulgence now on earth — in a time of slaughter, you have gone on eating to your heart’s content.

You have condemned and murdered the innocent; they could not stop you.

So, brethren, patiently wait before the Lord returns. See how the farmer waits for the precious “fruit of the earth” — he is patient over it until it receives the fall and spring rains.

You also, be patient; keep up your courage; for the Lord’s return grows closer.

Don’t grumble against one another, brothers, so that you won’t come under condemnation. Observe! the Judge is standing by the door!

As an example of suffering mistreatment and being patient, brethren, take the prophets who spoke in the name of the Lord.

Look, we regard those who persevered as blessed. You have heard of the perseverance of Job, and you know what the purpose of the Lord was, that the Lord is very compassionate and merciful.

A to top it off, brethren, stop swearing oaths — not “By heaven,” not “By the earth,” and not by any other formula; rather, let your “Yes” be simply “Yes” and your “No” simply “No,” so that you won’t fall under condemnation.

Is someone among you in trouble? He should pray. Is someone feeling good? He should sing songs of praise.

Is someone among you ill? He should call for the elders of the congregation. They will pray over him and rub olive oil on him in the name of the Lord.

The prayer offered with trust will heal the one who is ill — the Lord will restore his health; and if he has committed sins, he will be forgiven.

So, openly acknowledge your sins to one another, and pray for each other, so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and works.

Elijah was only a human being like us; yet he prayed fervently that it wouldn't rain, and no rain fell on the Land for 3 years and 6 months.

Then he prayed again, and sky let lose, and the Land produced its crops.

My brethren, if one of you strays from the truth, and someone brings him back,

you should realize that whoever diverts a sinner from his wandering path will save him from death and cover many sins.

Young's Literal Translation (YLT)

1 Go, now, ye rich! weep, howling over your miseries that are coming upon [you];

2 your riches have rotted, and your garments have become moth-eaten;

3 your gold and silver have rotted, and the rust of them for a testimony shall be to you, and shall eat your flesh as fire. Ye made treasure in the last days!

4 lo, the reward of the workmen, of those who in-gathered your fields, which hath been fraudulently kept back by you -- doth cry out, and the exclamations of those who did reap into the ears of the Lord of Sabaoth have entered;

5 ye did live in luxury upon the earth, and were wanton; ye did nourish your hearts, as in a day of slaughter;

6 ye did condemn -- ye did murder the righteous one, he doth not resist you.

7 Be patient, then, brethren, till the presence of the Lord; lo, the husbandman doth expect the precious fruit of the earth, being patient for it, till he may receive rain -- early and latter;

8 be patient, ye also; establish your hearts, because the presence of the Lord hath drawn nigh;

9 murmur not against one another, brethren, that ye may not be condemned; lo, the Judge before the door hath stood.

10 An example take ye of the suffering of evil, my brethren, and of the patience, the prophets who did speak in the name of the Lord;

11 lo, we call happy those who are enduring; the endurance of Job ye heard of, and the end of the Lord ye have seen, that very compassionate is the Lord, and pitying.

12 And before all things, my brethren, do not swear, neither by the heaven, neither by the earth, neither by any other oath, and let your Yes be Yes, and the No, No; that under judgment ye may not fall.

13 Doth any one suffer evil among you? let him pray; is any of good cheer? let him sing psalms;

14 is any infirm among you? let him call for the elders of the assembly, and let them pray over him, having anointed him with oil, in the name of the Lord,

15 and the prayer of the faith shall save the distressed one, and the Lord shall raise him up, and if sins he may have committed, they shall be forgiven to him.

16 Be confessing to one another the trespasses, and be praying for one another, that ye may be healed; very strong is a working supplication of a righteous man;

17 Elijah was a man like affected as we, and with prayer he did pray -- not to rain, and it did not rain upon the land three years and six months;

18 and again he did pray, and the heaven did give rain, and the land did bring forth her fruit.

19 Brethren, if any among you may go astray from the truth, and any one may turn him back,

20 let him know that he who did turn back a sinner from the straying of his way shall save a soul from death, and shall cover a multitude of sins.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4705 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 221, 222, 223, 224, 225  Next

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Revival Theme By Brandon Designs By B.Design-Studio © 2007-2008 Brandon
Revival Theme Based off SubLite By Echo © 2007-2008 Echo
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group