It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:06 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Kavanaugh & Joseph Smith
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:36 pm 
God

grindael wrote:
YOU are making it political. I'm focused on the allegations and responses. What should my title have been? And yes, some things never change.

You interpret it the way YOU want. That's ok, but you're wrong.

Can you explain to the casual observer how making a thread titled:

Kavanaugh & Joseph Smith

isn't inherently political, with a follow-on comment that Joseph Smith ran for President, also isn't political?

Can you point out how your opening post

grindael wrote:
I heard this and I was reminded of something Smith wrote,

Kavanaugh 2018:

Quote:
Dr. Ford's allegation dates back more than 36 years, to a party that she says occurred during our time in high school. I spent most of my time in high school focused on academics, sports, church, and service. But I was not perfect in those days, just as I am not perfect today. I drank beer with my friends, usually on weekends. Sometimes I had too many. In retrospect, I said and did things in high school that make me cringe now. But that's not why we are here today. What I've been accused of is far more serious than juvenile misbehavior. I never did anything remotely resembling what Dr. Ford describes.

Smith 1838:

Quote:
I frequently fell into many foolish errors, and displayed the weakness of youth, and the foibles of human nature; which, I am sorry to say, led me into divers temptations, offensive in the sight of God. In making this confession, no one need suppose me guilty of any great or malignant sins. A disposition to commit such was never in my nature. But I was guilty of levity, and sometimes associated with jovial company, etc., not consistent with that character which ought to be maintained by one who was called of God as I had been...

Some things never change...

... on a thread started by you isn't political in nature? You take two political persons, draw a parallel, and then claim it's not political?

What kind of thread is this then?

- Doc

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:46 pm 
Dragon

They are both men who had their moral characters questioned. YOU are making it strictly political. Does it have political ramifications? Sure. So does discussing the Council of Fifty, Smith's Presidential bid, etc. etc. But that was NOT MY FOCUS IN THE OP.

Riding on a speeding train;
trapped inside a revolving door;
Lost in the riddle of a quatrain;
Stuck in an elevator between floors.
One focal point in a random world
can change your direction:
One step where events converge
may alter your perception.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:51 pm 
Dragon

Are you peeved because I believe the women?

As I see it, Ford wanted her statement KEPT PRIVATE, and it was the Democrats who made it public in a desperate attempt to derail the nomination. This is OBVIOUS, and I think totally wrong.

This has now gone beyond Ford though. It is only smearing Kavanaugh if the allegations are false. People will be divided about that and perhaps time will tell if he is innocent.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:56 pm 
God

grindael wrote:
Are you peeved because I believe the women?

As I see it, Ford wanted her statement KEPT PRIVATE, and it was the Democrats who made it public in a desperate attempt to derail the nomination. This is OBVIOUS, and I think totally wrong.

This has now gone beyond Ford though. It is only smearing Kavanaugh if the allegations are false. People will be divided about that and perhaps time will tell if he is innocent.

No, I'm not peeved because you believe the women. Knock yourself out. I'm amused that a totally-not-political thread about Kavanaugh, with a shoehorned Joseph Smith angle, is allowed to exist on the Terrestrial forum.

One is able to get in all their opinions about Kavanaugh or Ford or whatever related to the case, in detail, and often throughout the thread as long as one claims it had something something to do with Joseph Smith.

Psychologically speaking, you putting Kavanaugh's name first in your header (which is totes not political, by the way) indicates your desire for and the focus of the thread.

- Doc

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:58 pm 
God

grindael wrote:
They are both men who had their moral characters questioned. YOU are making it strictly political. Does it have political ramifications? Sure. So does discussing the Council of Fifty, Smith's Presidential bid, etc. etc. But that was NOT MY FOCUS IN THE OP.

So, the kind of thread this is then is:

Men Who have had Their Moral Characters Questioned: A Case Study of Parallelism Found between Joseph Smith and Judge Brett Kavanaugh?

- Doc

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:01 pm 
Dragon

If you don't want the thread here, Doc, just ask Shades to move it. Jesus Christ. Just stop implying I'm a liar.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:08 pm 
God

grindael wrote:
If you don't want the thread here, Doc, just ask Shades to move it. Jesus Christ. Just stop implying I'm a liar.

Whoa there, Grindael. Ease off the indignation. I'm just trying to figure out how this isn't political:

grindael wrote:
I've sat in my share of bars and had not a one give me the time of day. You just go home and try again another day. You don't do a Cosby on them to get your way. That's what Kavanaugh is being accused of doing, and his own words show his contempt for women. This guy on the Supreme Court? Joseph Smith for President? I don't think so.

Are you going to attempt to draw any more parallels between Joseph Smith, a heavily documented polygamist, polyandrist, (probably) philanderer, and Kavanaugh, a confirmed Catholic and monogamist?

eta: I'd just like you to admit this was a political thread and you made a ham-handed attempt at parallelism to get away with it. That's all. You know. In the interest of being honest, which we often accuse Mormons of not being.

- Doc

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:48 pm 
God

Lindsay said it all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKSRUK-l7dM

This is an abject line in the sand moment. Prior to this circus perhaps you could have opposed Kavanaugh on reasonable grounds, reasonable disagreements. That's fine. But no longer. The side you stand on is a testament to your true inner character. Scum.

Comparing him to Joseph Smith? ROFL. Who are you people? I really feel sorry for you all, if this is what Mormonism did to you. Sad, destroyed souls. And honestly, I'm ashamed of myself for getting sucked in by the discussions and personalities around here. Seeing you for who you are, I'm not impressed. Appealing to the gallery and being overly cynical and hard on folks like MG. Not that he doesn't deserve some of it, or that he doesn't bring it on himself, but wow, you people are just vile.

Enjoy what you've unleashed.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:34 pm 
Seedy Academician

Water Dog wrote:
Lindsay said it all.

This is an abject line in the sand moment. Prior to this circus perhaps you could have opposed Kavanaugh on reasonable grounds, reasonable disagreements. That's fine. But no longer. The side you stand on is a testament to your true inner character. Scum.

Comparing him to Joseph Smith? ROFL. Who are you people? I really feel sorry for you all, if this is what Mormonism did to you. Sad, destroyed souls. And honestly, I'm ashamed of myself for getting sucked in by the discussions and personalities around here. Seeing you for who you are, I'm not impressed. Appealing to the gallery and being overly cynical and hard on folks like MG. Not that he doesn't deserve some of it, or that he doesn't bring it on himself, but wow, you people are just vile.

Look in the mirror. Your rage, insults, belittling attitude. Pot meet kettle. Pretty hilarious that you are taken in by the desperate emotional appeals of these sad, washed up pols.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:54 pm 
God

Water Dog wrote:
Sigh. Enjoy your circle jerk, Kish.

Is there anyone left who still seriously doubts Water Dog is Will Schryver?

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:26 pm 
God

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Water Dog wrote:

You know. I actually thought he was for the first bit, but no way. Water Dog is his own man. He's clearly not WS.

- Doc

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:41 pm 
Seedy Academician

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Water Dog wrote:

Who really cares who this character is?

He’s told me all I need to know about him through his unhinged political rants and partisan blindness. His president is an illiterate cult leader for losers and crypto-Nazis, but that won’t stop him from calling everyone else crazy for not supporting Trump.

Good God. I pray I am never that screwed up in the head.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:03 pm 
God

I don't like this thread. I think it's a stretch to lump Joe and Kavanaugh together and make any comparisons. I also don't like the idea that Mormons are so stupid to blindly turn an eye to Kavanaugh simply because of what they believe about Joe Smith. I think it's poor form and I'm usually up for starting some good controversy. Here's why:

Joe f uqed lots of women including underaged girls. Joe was a criminal of the worst kind that took advantage of people, especially women and girls. Joe was a predator and derserves all the nastiness thrown his way.

Kavanaugh has been accused of some serious things. We should take those allegations seriously. The difference being there doesn't seem to be the same pattern of misdeed that Joe had. If the allegations against Kavanaugh are true, he doesn't appear to have built a life of misdeed and criminal behavior like Joe did.

I listened to most of the hearing today. Here's my takeaway; Ford is believable and a good witness. I believe her story as her truth. However, I also believe Kavanaugh's version of the story and here's why.

If this party went down the way Ford described in the summer of 82, it would be reasonable to believe Kavanaugh was not impacted the way Ford was. Because of that and the time that has passed, Kavanaugh could simply not remember this event.

If you don't believe that, go back to your high school reunion and have your friends start sharing memories of you. You'll be surprised at what they remember about you that you can't. In fact, your friends will likely remember things about you that you are embarrassed you did and yet, you'll have no recollection of the events.

Does that mean those things didn't happen? Maybe. Or it could be you don't remember those events because they didn't have the same impact on you as they did your friends.

Ford and Kavanaugh are both telling the truth IMO. I feel extremely bad for Ford. She was victimized and now has the entire World criticizing her. That's a horrible spot to be in. Kavanaugh is also being victimized for something which, as best I can tell, he doesn't recall. That's also a horrible thing. But I'm not willing to crucify Kavanaugh and lump him in with Joe Smith. I'm embarrassed as exmo for this thread.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:07 pm 
Seedy Academician

It’s great that you’ve taken a thoughtful glance under the one street lamp the Republicans left on for you.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:20 pm 
Seedy Academician

What I am disappointed in is how credulous some people are in this situation. They evidently buy into this choir boy act on the eve of this guy’s big shot at Supreme Court, when his own words at the time put the lie to the whole act and two of his closest friends are notorious scumbags who revel in using and disrespecting women.

Yeah, well, trust the calculated opening statement in which he raged crazily at Democrats with a conspiracy theory about Clinton revenge. Talk about a ridiculous distraction! Oh, but trust him. He’s angry. He cried.

You know who else was great at working people’s emotions like that while lying up a storm?

Three guesses.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:26 pm 
God

That all might he true Kish, but the evidence doesn't support it. I lean left nowawadays and would much rather a liberal judge be nominated but I can't in good conscience take this event to crucify Kavanaugh. Find me something better and I may agree with you.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:38 pm 
Seedy Academician

Sanctorian wrote:
That all might he true Kish, but the evidence doesn't support it. I lean left nowawadays and would much rather a liberal judge be nominated but I can't in good conscience take this event to crucify Kavanaugh. Find me something better and I may agree with you.

How about the fact that he pretty clearly lied about obtaining illegal emails about political opponents? Or lied about not knowing his pal Judge Kozinski harassed women? What exactly do you need to know that has not been told you already?

You act as though this were a trial and you needed to know beyond a reasonable doubt whether this guy committed a crime. Well, sorry, it’s not a trial. It is a political hearing about hiring a lifetime appointee for the highest court in the Republic. He has shown you he will lie to Congress. He has amply demonstrated his hyper-partisan attitude and hatred of Democrats. That should be enough.

You have been convinced by the Republicans that we are in a different game than the one we are in.

When you hire for an extremely sensitive position, you don’t ask whether he really meant it when he wrote about anal sex with girls in his yearbook, or argue about whether the Fs in FFFFFourth mean something as demeaning as all that. You move on to the next applicant.

Nothing entitles this person to this job. No one is taking anything from him. No one conspired against him. His own words and associates told us enough.

But of course he will be rammed through, and notice how happy that paragon of human decency Trump is with K’s performance. Another fine indicator of how people are being played.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:55 pm 
God

I think I made it clear I'm only talking about this thread. I also stated I would rather a different nominee. Joe Smith and Kavanaugh are simply not equal comparisons to each other. This Ford event and the statements used in this thread are not worthy of the comparison.

I hope he doesn't get nominated. It sets our country back 50 years. I'm just taking today's events for what they are. The evidence does not support either side.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:00 pm 
Savior (resurrected)

Location: "Don't believe everything you hear on the radio." Charles Foster Kane
Water Dog wrote:
Lindsay said it all.

Your writing reminds me of my ex-husband's. I swear...... every message I've received from him in the last five years reads just about like this. Boy oh boy.... does he ever believe I've unleashed some horrible things I should enjoy. And he feels really really sorry for me because I'm so misguided. I know this because he tells me..... over and over and over again. He is definitely not impressed.

By our own Mary (with maybe some input from me when I can help). Thank you Mary!

Thread about the lawsuit

Thread about Mary's chronological document

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:09 pm 
Seedy Academician

Sanctorian wrote:
I think I made it clear I'm only talking about this thread. I also stated I would rather a different nominee. Joe Smith and Kavanaugh are simply not equal comparisons to each other. This Ford event and the statements used in this thread are not worthy of the comparison.

I hope he doesn't get nominated. It sets our country back 50 years. I'm just taking today's events for what they are. The evidence does not support either side.

Well, I am inclined to trust grindael’s and my historical judgments and familiarity with the evidence over yours. No offense.

In any case, no one has said the two are identical. Any attempt to push it to that in order to question grindael’s judgment is a straw man

Today’s events showed an academic woman who did a remarkable job at telling her story in a rational and informed way and a political operative playing for the sad sack of an illegitimate president who nominated him. Again, if you know the game, you don’t need more information. This was never primarily about events 36 years ago (Republicans made sure of that). It was about how the nominee comports himself now. His serial deceit and partisan pandering were despicable and corrosive, and yet his stream of crazy rants and pious posturing seems to have succeeded at distracting a lot of people, and, more importantly, pleasing Trump.

When you are in the midst of a con, it is crucial to know what to look for. Don’t ask whether there were Nephites. It’s only a distraction. Ask how things are in the here and now. Think carefully about how people are behaving, how they show who they are, and reveal what they are after. Kavanaugh gave a great performance, but it was obviously just that. He was out to keep Trump’s faith in him as a fighter and someone who thinks like him, talks like him, lashes out like him.

Joseph Smith’s instrumentalization of women to forward his objectives is, in the end, not all that different from the games boys play when they use girls in a display of dominance. If you show what a big man you are by writing about “boofing” in the yearbook, pushing yourself on a half-conscious girl at a party, or by marrying everyone’s wives and daughters, you’re after pretty much the same base, primate objectives.

When you’re caught or defied, you don’t act penitent so much as get furious with the person who gets in your way.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:31 pm 
God

Or you produced a detailed calendar of your activities, a journal as it were, that corroborates your whereabouts. Like Joseph Smith did. Except Joseph Smith's journal damns him while Kavanaugh's journal legitimizes his claims of innocence

But those are just mere details.

We should depend on our feelings to assess reality.

- Doc

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next