It is currently Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:00 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 166 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: From ''transformed archaeology in Mexico''
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:59 pm 
God

Moderator Note: Derail from original thread. Moved to telestial for included personal attacks

I have a question wrote:
No. The specifics are for you to provide, as you made the statements that the Book of Abraham contains incorrect connections, the imaginations of man, and uninspired filler. I’m asking you to provide a specific example for each of the specific things you have claimed the Book of Abraham contains.

It’s a simple request. 3 examples, one for each of your statements, is all you need to provide.

mentalgymnast wrote:
I'm not going to take the time and/or effort to do that. I don't see that it would be a productive use of my time. To be blunt, it's not worth doing it simply because you're requesting it.
It wouldn’t be a productive use of your time to provide a single specific example to support each of the assertions you made about the Book of Abraham? I’m going to go ahead and make the assumption that, as per usual, you are trolling a thread and wasting every bodies time.

Quote:
I'm more than willing/interested, however, in having others pick out and/or show what they believe to be 'creative license' taken by the author(s) in the creation of the BofA narrative though.
So you do think it’s a productive use of everyone else’s time and/or effort to do something which you yourself can’t be arsed doing?

Quote:
I'm saying that a bit tongue in cheek, as you may guess. More than likely the response would be, "The whole d*** thing". :wink:

I've gotten into this thread about as much as I'm willing to take the time to do at this point anyway. There are some other things demanding my attention at this point.

Regards,
MG
Your cyclical, intellectually dishonest pattern is once again on display for all to see. So off you go, you’ve been exposed so run along, little Troll.

“A reliable way to make people believe in falsehoods is frequent repetition, because familiarity is not easily distinguished from truth. Authoritarian institutions and marketers have always known this fact.”
― Daniel Kahneman, Nobel Prize Winner, 'Thinking, Fast and Slow'

Last edited by I have a question on Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:04 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Post subject: Personal attack from ''transformed archaeology in Mexico''
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:17 pm 
God

mentalgymnast wrote:
Earlier when I quoted those magical druid dudes, it was with the intent to show that some folks, if not many, are often too restrictive/tunneled in their thinking and hesitant about being open to different ways and possibilities. Especially when 'worlds collide'.

Black and white thinking.

I've found that rather interesting and a bit disheartening as I've participated over time on this board.

Very PC in this neck of the woods.

Regards,
MG

Post subject: Re: transformed archaeology in Mexico—and ended up losing fa
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:05 pm 
God

I don't know what MG expects anyone to say in response to interpretative dance, druid magic, and an unquoted vague reference to some other guy's opinion that doesn't address magic and dancing.

It's just a bizarre midrash mishmash of whatever the ____ pops into his brain at the moment.

- Doc

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:25 pm 
God

mentalgymnast wrote:
I think it's rather obvious. I've either directly or indirectly alluded to what seems to be the fact that Joseph believed that he was translating the writings of Abraham that were contained on the papyrus. How that translation/translation occurred...the mechanics...are not fully known. As a result there is a lot of conjecture as to how the BofA came to be.

:rolleyes: philo covered that quite well a page or two ago.
philo sofee wrote:
And there is singular probabilistic evidence that the vast majority of those views are wrong. There is no reason to invoke them every time as if you cannot make up your mind, that is, unless evidence means nothing to you, in which case you have nothing to contribute to us, or anyone else viewing your ideas on this thread. It is not about having numerous theories and hence withholding assent. It is about the probability of where the evidence points, and doing the realistic, rational thing, and going where the evidence points. That is how reality works. It makes me think you have no reason to think or act in realistic ways.

A while back, someone mentioned you were trolling and you immediately posted a denial, stating "I don't have any intent to sow discord."

That struck me as quite telling, because that's not the most common description of a troll, and also because you were so quick to define and then deny that specific aspect. Like you were protesting just a little too much. The irony is you don't sow discord but you do open the door for a lot of factual overturning of LDS positions.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:48 pm 
God

Failing to be an apostate isn't in of itself trolling. I'm not sure what you expect of MG. He's not going to successfully defend the veracity of LDS Book of Abraham claims because the Book of Abraham is not a divinely revealed translation. The proof of him trolling here seems to reside in that he's not sufficiently clever at playing a bad hand. Meanwhile, he's repeatedly being taunted and mocked even when respectful because the mere fact that his arguments suck is aggravating and therefore proof that he's passive aggressively asking for it. Either his reasoning is worthy of your interaction or not.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:03 am 
God

EAllusion wrote:
Failing to be an apostate isn't in of itself trolling. I'm not sure what you expect of MG. He's not going to successfully defend the veracity of LDS Book of Abraham claims because the Book of Abraham is not a divinely revealed translation. The proof of him trolling here seems to reside in that he's not sufficiently clever at playing a bad hand. Meanwhile, he's repeatedly being taunted and mocked even when respectful because the mere fact that his arguments suck is aggravating and therefore proof that he's passive aggressively asking for it. Either his reasoning is worthy of your interaction or not.

I was referring to his own definition of what trolling is: the sowing of discord.

And if you think "he's repeatedly being taunted and mocked even when respectful" you're missing the point. Which, of course, is exactly the intent of someone who uses passive aggressive strategies.

On another note, are you saying he's too dumb to be a troll? :lol: I think that constitutes a personal attack, EAllusion, or at least as much as the post by ihaq that got moved could be considered a personal attack. Can I report you to yourself, and have you move your own derailment to the personal attack thread? :cool:

Last edited by Lemmie on Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Personal attacks from ''transformed archaeology in Mexic
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:23 am 
God

I have a question wrote:
No. The specifics are for you to provide, as you made the statements that the Book of Abraham contains incorrect connections, the imaginations of man, and uninspired filler. I’m asking you to provide a specific example for each of the specific things you have claimed the Book of Abraham contains.

It’s a simple request. 3 examples, one for each of your statements, is all you need to provide.

mentalgymnast wrote:
I'm not going to take the time and/or effort to do that. I don't see that it would be a productive use of my time. To be blunt, it's not worth doing it simply because you're requesting it.
It wouldn’t be a productive use of your time to provide a single specific example to support each of the assertions you made about the Book of Abraham? I’m going to go ahead and make the assumption that, as per usual, you are trolling a thread and wasting every bodies time.

Quote:
I'm more than willing/interested, however, in having others pick out and/or show what they believe to be 'creative license' taken by the author(s) in the creation of the BofA narrative though.
So you do think it’s a productive use of everyone else’s time and/or effort to do something which you yourself can’t be arsed doing?

Quote:
I'm saying that a bit tongue in cheek, as you may guess. More than likely the response would be, "The whole d*** thing". :wink:

I've gotten into this thread about as much as I'm willing to take the time to do at this point anyway. There are some other things demanding my attention at this point.

Regards,
MG
Your cyclical, intellectually dishonest pattern is once again on display for all to see. So off you go, you’ve been exposed so run along, little Troll.

ihaq's post is a personal attack? :rolleyes: Funny, it just reads like a factual description.
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Yep. Even a simple dotard could see what's happening and once said:

Quote:
It's such a funny thing to read this thread and get a sense of deja vu with MG about four times a year going on what? 10 years now?

I've shifted my opinion of his posting from apologist (which he insisted he wasn't), to attention whore (which is indisputable), to troll (which is sadly the last vestige of Mopologetics these days).

It's just simply impossible to keep reintroducing the same arguments, every year, year up on year, and not be a troll. Every argument has been addressed to the point of intellectual exhaustion. Every possible angle these guys have used to keep the flame alive, so to speak, has been addressed to the point of exhaustion. At the end of the day Mormonism has to be impossibly contradictory, unpredictable, unreliable, and absurd. That's it. It's just a con that predated upon people's gullibility until, really, the Internet was born. Now? It can't avoid the near instantaneous resourcing, opinions, discussion, documentation, and truth sourcing by literally millions of people.

- Doc

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:47 am 
God

Personally, I don't think MG is being a troll in this thread. He made a weak attempt to defend the indefensible. At least he has the guts to try to interact and discuss the topics in an open forum unlike the cowards at in MD&D.

"Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn’t participate enthusiastically." - Robert Kirby

Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer. -- Henry Lawson

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:39 am 
God

Where my posts go?

- Doc

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:45 am 
God

This place is freaking unbelievable.

MG trolls for years and receives no censure whatsoever, but others posts get bounced almost immediately when they point out his pattern. He is a protected species, or a Shades sock puppet.

“A reliable way to make people believe in falsehoods is frequent repetition, because familiarity is not easily distinguished from truth. Authoritarian institutions and marketers have always known this fact.”

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:47 am 
God

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Where my posts go?

- Doc

They’ve been bounced to protect Shades’ little pet poster.

Last edited by I have a question on Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:52 am 
God

Dr. Shades wrote:
mentalgymnast wrote:
On this board it is a given that his views/approach is going to rule the day and that many will take what he has to say as 'gospel truth'.

Are/is his views/approach the ones/one that the evidence most closely favors?

mentalgymnast wrote:
OK, Shades, you're playing/mimicking and/or hamming it up with me here/there/everywhere. Right/affirmative/truly?

Regards/well wishes,
MG

You’re right MG.
This is a personal attack on your posting style.

Shades, I thought you moved personal attacks?
Are you above the law or does someone need to report your post to you?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:18 am 
God

I have a question wrote:
This place is freaking unbelievable.

MG trolls for years and receives no censure whatsoever, but others posts get bounced almost immediately when they point out his pattern. He is a protected species, or a Shades sock puppet.

You're not kidding. Mentalgymnast's comments below, one example out of dozens, written a couple of months ago back when he was disrupting the board, were allowed....
mentalgymnast wrote:
In many ways, this place has indeed become a cesspool lacking in the expression of free thought and opinion. When you have people like Paul Osborn, DocCam, grindael, lemmie, and the like who actually disdain Mormonism to the extent that they will vilify and make every effort to discredit the believers...even using lying tactics and incomplete or out of context comments to create false narratives, strawmen, etc.

So mentalgymnast can call groups of people liars and the board a cesspool with impunity, but ihaq's post is a personal attack???? Come on mods. At least be consistent, and maybe learn a little about the sneaky damage a passive aggressive troll can do. Mentalgymnast has been laying low lately, but you didn't solve a problem you just avoided dealing with it.
Quote:
A troller is a [board] user who constructs the pseudo-identity of sincerely wishing to be part of the group in question, including professing, or conveying ostensibly sincere intentions, but whose real intention is to cause disruption and/or to trigger or exacerbate conflict for its own sake.

--- TROLLING IN ONLINE DISCUSSIONS: FROM PROVOCATION TO COMMUNITY-BUILDING

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:38 am 
God

I don't think discussing someone's trolling behavior is bad enough to warrant moving the post to the Telestial forum. It's relevant to the tactics Mopologists are using to muddy up a discussion, and it's been proven over and over again MG does this. And it needs to be pointed out for the record.

In the spirit of cooperation and forbearance I've decided not post a clear and unambiguous example of a personal attack toward the mods so they can understand the difference between topical conversation and derailing.

- Doc

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:47 am 
God

cwald wrote:
Personally, I don't think MG is being a troll in this thread. He made a weak attempt to defend the indefensible. At least he has the guts to try to interact and discuss the topics in an open forum unlike the cowards at in MD&D.
On the other hand, a poster could have a different intention...
Quote:
A troller is a [board] user who constructs the pseudo-identity of sincerely wishing to be part of the group in question, including professing, or conveying ostensibly sincere intentions, but whose real intention is to cause disruption and/or to trigger or exacerbate conflict for its own sake.

--- TROLLING IN ONLINE DISCUSSIONS: FROM PROVOCATION TO COMMUNITY-BUILDING

Doc Cam wrote:
I don't think discussing someone's trolling behavior is bad enough to warrant moving the post to the Telestial forum. It's relevant to the tactics Mopologists are using to muddy up a discussion, and it's been proven over and over again MG does this. And it needs to be pointed out for the record.

Agreed.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:03 am 
God

I have a question wrote:
Mentalgymnast
Quote:
Basically I see the BofA as a midrash. Inserted into the text are eternal truths. Joseph obviously made connections that weren't there. He had to meet publication deadlines, and my guess is that at times he provided uninspired filler. The canonized BofA includes the imaginations of man along with inspired doctrinal truths that came through the overall process.

Regards,
MG

IHAQ
Quote:
MG, please can you provide us with what you believe are specific examples from the Book Of Abraham that demonstrate your stated ‘nuances’ of:
A. Joseph making an incorrect connection?
B. Joseph inserting the imaginations of man?
And
C. Uninspired filler?

Mentalgymnast
Quote:
I think the specifics are left up to you to determine.

IHAQ
Quote:

Mentalgymnast
Quote:
I'm not going to take the time and/or effort to do that. I don't see that it would be a productive use of my time.

After a bump or two...

Mentalgymnast
Quote:
If I get around to it...I'd have to spend some time and study going through chapters in the BofA...I may come back and answer your questions.

Lemmie
Quote:
So are you saying you made those statements about what was in the Book of Abraham without knowing whether you could support them?

Mentalgymnast
Quote:
Would you be so kind as to make a list of those exact "statements about what was in the Book of Abraham" for us?

Using my words preferably.

Certainly.

You said:
Quote:
Basically I see the BofA as a midrash. Inserted into the text are eternal truths. Joseph obviously made connections that weren't there. He had to meet publication deadlines, and my guess is that at times he provided uninspired filler. The canonized BofA includes the imaginations of man along with inspired doctrinal truths that came through the overall process.

Regards,
MG

Which takes us all the way back round to....
IHAQ
Quote:
MG, please can you provide us with what you believe are specific examples from the Book Of Abraham that demonstrate your stated ‘nuances’ of:
A. Joseph making an incorrect connection?
B. Joseph inserting the imaginations of man?
And
C. Uninspired filler?

This^ is an example of how I believe mentalgymnast attempts to disrupt and derail threads and bog them down in cyclical posting.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:31 am 
God

Lemmie wrote:
On another note, are you saying he's too dumb to be a troll? :lol: I think that constitutes a personal attack, EAllusion, or at least as much as the post by ihaq that got moved could be considered a personal attack. Can I report you to yourself, and have you move your own derailment to the personal attack thread? :cool:

The brightest person in the world isn't going to make a good case for the LDS view of the Book of Abraham because the LDS view of the Book of Abraham is obviously wrong. I'm arguing that if insisting on bad arguments in defense of the Book of Abraham makes one a troll, then the position is being LDS on this board is in of itself trolling. I'm giving the benefit of the doubt that the complaint is that he isn't sufficiently good at masking bad argumentation in good rhetoric.

You know what? The same is true of theism in general. Every single attempt at theistic justification sucks and if bad arguments aggravate you, then it's nothing but aggravation all the way down. The only question is how clever those bad efforts are. Should we just declare anyone who dares not to be atheist on this board a troll? Some discussion board.

Trolling ordinarily refers to to being deliberately provocative to get a rise out of others. I don't think MG is trying to do that in this thread. He's just sincerely wrong. Moreover, he's repeatedly being taunted by people in the process.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:39 am 
God

deleted in an effort to be less assy

Last edited by Doctor CamNC4Me on Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:02 am 
God

cwald wrote:

I very much agree.

"Friends don't let friends be Mormon." Sock Puppet, MormonDiscussions.com.

Music is my drug of choice.

"And that is precisely why none of us apologize for holding it to the celestial standard it pretends that it possesses." Kerry, MormonDiscussions.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:47 am 
God

EAllusion wrote:
I'm giving the benefit of the doubt that the complaint is that he isn't sufficiently good at masking bad argumentation in good rhetoric.
:rolleyes: Yes, he always gets the benefit of the doubt.
Quote:
Trolling ordinarily refers to to being deliberately provocative to get a rise out of others. I don't think MG is trying to do that in this thread. He's just sincerely wrong. Moreover, he's repeatedly being taunted by people in the process.

:rolleyes: Yes, he always gets the benefit of the doubt. The people who give up in utter frustration and openly express that frustration do NOT get the benefit of the doubt, like ihaq's post you moved and titled "a personal attack."

EAllusion, 3 months ago, wrote:
Rule #4 does speak directly to what he [MG] is doing with some frequency.

:rolleyes: And yet, he gets the benefit of the doubt.
EAllusion, same post, wrote:
But what MG was doing was just entering thread after thread and immediately going into a totally unrelated topic to inflame and attack. If "no derailing" means anything, it's got to include that.
:rolleyes: And STILL, he got the benefit of the doubt back then, and STILL, he gets the benefit of the doubt now.

He enters threads to be disruptive. This round he's being a little more careful, but as ihaq clearly demonstrated above, it's a cycle intended to disrupt. Granted, it is the most difficult type of trolling to moderate, all my research shows that very clearly. You yourself have admitted that the mods here aren't able to follow every part of every thread, and mentalgymnast counts on that. That's why he re-states his "innocence" in post after post, even if what he restates as his intention has no relation at all to his actual posting strategy.

Dr. Shades wrote:
Everyone, please remember that mentalgymnast has NOT necessarily been forgiven, nor has he been given a free pass. He's actually walking eggshells atop very thin ice. If he makes ONE more post that suffers from the Tobin Syndrome--i.e., an on-topic post meant only to annoy, harass, or shut down free speech--then he'll be on the moderator queue immediately.
Was that just to lull the masses? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Of course, I would never point out that playing stupid is an extremely common passive-aggressive technique, and a good one to use in a new round of thread disruption. I mean, who would ever think of that as a strategy? Granted, a troll would do that just for the fun of causing a disruption, but surely seeing someone do that dozens and dozens of times deserves the benefit of a mod doubting that they are doing what they do.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:58 am 
God

I have been able to engage MG in a polite fashion even though we have disagreed on our stances. Just because he disagrees with the bulk of us on this thread does not mean that he is trolling. It means that he disagrees. He has not been rude to others or tried to be disruptive. Just because he is not knowledgeable about the subject matter does not make him a troll. How can anyone determine what he really knows and what he doesn't?

Frankly, all of these accusations toward MG are more of a distraction from the topic than simply refusing to engage him or putting him on ignore.

I have chosen to engage him. Others may choose differently.

Just because he can't defend his position to my satisfaction, or to Quasimoto's satisfaction who is the thread starter, does not mean that he is trolling.

Actually, Shulem has engaged him multiple times and has never accused him of being a troll. I would strongly consider that. He is the chief Egyptologist here, after all. :wink:

I would allow Quasi the opportunity to weigh in on this since he was the official thread starter here.

"Friends don't let friends be Mormon." Sock Puppet, MormonDiscussions.com.

Music is my drug of choice.

"And that is precisely why none of us apologize for holding it to the celestial standard it pretends that it possesses." Kerry, MormonDiscussions.com

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 166 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next