It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Backyard Professor: An Autopsy
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:17 pm 
God

A man who was once a stalwart and, actually, quite engaging LDS apologist, but who also became prey to some personality traits that led him, ultimately, out of the Church and into - nothingness - rants in obscurity.

Kerry Shirts (alias "Philo Sofee") is now a major fixture at what is probably, save for CARM and RFM, the most notorious, ugly, feverish, hostile, hateful, and visceral anti-Mormon message board in the NOM/exmo blogosphere, a place where he frequently disgorges rivers of militant secularist boilerplate in classic bombastic Madalyn Murry 'O Hareesqe style on his favorite subject: the absolute oracular powers of science to reveal all aspects of reality and pronounce upon the fundamental mysteries of existence with equally absolute precision and certainty, versus the mind-benumbed superstitions and troglodytic intellectual poverty of those he terms "faithists."

Here, he viciously attacks Daniel Peterson as a "faith whore," and it is not the first time he has launched vitriolic and mean-spirited attacks on LDS apologists who he feels are not worthy to unlatch his shoes.

This is, again, the "bitter fruits of apostasy," kicking against the pricks, flailing in impotent, self-immolating conceit against God and the saints, and turning science from a powerful but also severely limited tool and means of acquiring useful knowledge about the aspects of the universe science is perceptually equipped to perceive, into an idol before whom he prefers to prostate himself and perhaps, pass himself through in a self-inflicted human sacrifice to the god of his own runaway ego. We were friends and apologetic allies once.

Long ago.

- President Ezra Taft Benson

I am so old that I can remember when most of the people promoting race hate were white.

- Thomas Sowell

Post subject: Re: The Backyard Professor: An Autopsy
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:46 pm 
God

some unknown person wrote:
...out of the Church and into - nothingness...

That always cracks me up. First of all, "the" church. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

And only to certain Mormons would the actual, entire world and all of its fascinating variety be considered "nothingness." I don't know, Kish, for Mormons like that, I really think the word "cult" applies.

Who is this Droopsy, by the way?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:08 pm 
God

oh my droopy drops in out of the blue. Hope all is well with you.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:13 pm 
God

Why do tbm apologists always resort to ad hominem attacks? Doesn't it simply show the dearth of proof, evidence and rational thought on their side?

Droopy, your church believes in seer stones for heaven sake and you come here lecturing philo sofee? Where's the proof in the americas for Nephites and Lamanites? If you got it, maybe we could have you take over the debate with Prof. Jenkins that ended in embarrassing disaster? What about facsimile 3 as Shulem might ask? Your church is preaching nonsense.

You ought to look at what philo is saying maybe you could learn something?

"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:16 pm 
God

Boy do I want to take a crack at the OP. I'll opt for self restraint. :cool:

Stay close to the people who feel like sunlight ~ Arsu Shaikh

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:20 pm 
God

Ah Droopy, hope all is well with you. (sorry this is so vitriolic, but then, that is my nature after all). I do have to admit it however, I LOVE yer bombast & oratory! Dude, I mean you can really let er rip there fella. Most impressive!

"Scientism as a criticism most often is leveled by someone who wants to suggest dogmatic, unthinking devotion to science as a strawman criticism of someone deploying science against something they'd prefer to believe." - EAllusion

"The greatest strength of mind is to only eat one peanut." - Alan Watts

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:39 pm 
CTR A

Welcome home, Droopy! Good to have you back!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:00 pm 
God

Philo did you take Droopy's goat, again?

2 different threads same day 2 hours apart Yohoo Bat 12/1/2015

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:09 am 
God

There's milk strippings in the background somewhere, mark my word.

That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:31 am 
Founder & Visionary

Droopy wrote:
A man who was once a stalwart and, actually, quite engaging LDS apologist, but who also became prey to some personality traits that led him, ultimately, out of the Church and into - nothingness - rants in obscurity.

So, what did he say that was incorrect?

Please be specific.

--Fence Sitter, 01-25-2018

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:22 am 
God

Lemmie wrote:

Droopy was the foremost spokesman for the LDS Church and the Alt-Right movement for several years on this forum. He stayed after the others fled. Eventually, he returned to the Great and Specious board and a managerial position with Koch Brother's Internet Trolling Emporium.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:41 am 
God

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:31 am 
God

moksha wrote:
Lemmie wrote:

Droopy was the foremost spokesman for the LDS Church and the Alt-Right movement for several years on this forum. He stayed after the others fled. Eventually, he returned to the Great and Specious board and a managerial position with Koch Brother's Internet Trolling Emporium.

Thank you, moksha. I can always count on you for the most entertaining presentation of the, uh... facts! :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:40 am 
God

Ah Droopy is back. Yeah.

"Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn’t participate enthusiastically." - Robert Kirby

Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer. -- Henry Lawson

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:41 am 
God

Lemmie wrote:
I don't know, Kish, for Mormons like that, I really think the word "cult" applies.

Right. That is what I've been saying.

"Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn’t participate enthusiastically." - Robert Kirby

Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer. -- Henry Lawson

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:23 am 
God

Keep up the good work, Philo!

--Galileo Galilei

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:09 am 
1st Counselor

Droopy wrote:

Not to make a fuss about this in order to continue someone's tirade about another (we have that enough around here), but I am interested enough to point out that the vagueness of suggesting that personality traits were the force that led someone out of the Church is a very Mormon and perhaps religious thing to assume. It feels like something that must be done in order to preserve some amount of safe space for a believer to maintain. The equating of apologetic allies, or allies at all, to not being friends or not being able to be friends to me is the saddest part of this whole mess. Friends become enemies pretty easily I suppose, when we're prone to see life in such a binary, fearful way. It's too bad, because in all my travels I've found that people who lose faith, if you will, who object to former beliefs, remain the same individual. One who has grown, perhaps, or moved on, but still a person worth loving.

In truth I find Philo's objections to Dan's blog posts a little over the top, even if in some cases he's made a good point.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:37 am 
God

nice post stem.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:06 am 
God

Dr. Shades wrote:
Droopy wrote:

So, what did he say that was incorrect?

Please be specific.

You know, if you think about it this thread does not belong in the terrestrial. It should be booted down to the telestial board. It's a vicious attack on Kerry Shirts and the board itself, those who participate herein.

Is there anyone here who really thinks that Droopy's vicious attack belongs in terrestrial? I don't see how.

Shades, wake up!

"Say what you like. The figure which Joseph Smith identifies as the 'slave' is not an image of Anubis, nor is it functioning as Anubis in the image that is displayed."

Nightlion confessed:

"I do admit Joseph Smith faked the facsimile translation. . . Facsimiles. . . lies"

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:11 am 
God

Philo Sofee wrote:
Ah Droopy, hope all is well with you. (sorry this is so vitriolic, but then, that is my nature after all). I do have to admit it however, I LOVE yer bombast & oratory! Dude, I mean you can really let er rip there fella. Most impressive!

What you see are the results of a broken man who has allowed the cult to turn him into raving maniac who is distraught with the fact that his freak Jesus has failed to come back and murder the wicked apostates.

I dare Jesus to come back! I double dare him!!

Come get me, Jesus -- you freak!

:lol:

"Say what you like. The figure which Joseph Smith identifies as the 'slave' is not an image of Anubis, nor is it functioning as Anubis in the image that is displayed."

Nightlion confessed:

"I do admit Joseph Smith faked the facsimile translation. . . Facsimiles. . . lies"

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:14 am 
God

Stem wrote:
Droopy wrote:

....In truth I find Philo's objections to Dan's blog posts a little over the top, even if in some cases he's made a good point.

I find it quite ironic that this comment on Philo's posting was made on a thread where the OP is about as over the top as one can get.

What is the point? Philo is expressing his opinion, and you're acknowledging he has made good points. His intensity is part of his personality. You suggest that some may be "prone to see life in such a binary, fearful way"; may I suggest that people feeling they have to dial back on their personalities, in order to be proper in their posting behavior and avoid being 'over the top' is just another variation on that.

Last edited by Lemmie on Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.