It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:16 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A rule against malicious misquotation of board members?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:51 pm 
God

Is it inappropriate for this kind of silliness to go on here in this forum and on this board?

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=47348&start=21

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=47259&start=294

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=47259&start=294

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=47363&start=42

I am being continually harassed by a board member who is misquoting me and then making light of it. Is that something we want to see happen here? Does it move us in the direction of safe/productive discussion? I let this member have the last word on the four threads in question because it is a total waste of time to engage him further.

Is this acceptable behavior? If so, I think we have one more reason that folks are unwilling to participate on this board. If they can't safely say what they want to say without being harassed through misattribution/misquoting, I think there are some real problems.

But that's just me. Others? What say ye?

All four threads are pretty much blown up. Yes, I responded to the other board member. But what would you do if you were being misquoted and in essence, mocked? Isn't willful and malicious misquotation a form of lying?

Is this board going to protect their own...or protect everyone?

If we don't feel safe, can we have a civil discussion?

Regards,
MG

Post subject: Re: A rule against malicious misquotation of board members?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:18 pm 
God

MG, I’m fairly confident I’ve said this before, but let me take this opportunity to say it if I haven’t. At some point, the onus and flow of the discussion falls on you. No one comes to your defense simply because you have religiously shown you can’t maintain civil discourse through your style of posting. I’m not talking about language or even your belief in Mormonism. It’s your inability to understand when the discussion breaks down it’s almost exclusively your fault.

Until you can take ownership and recognize you are the source of your own problem here, no one will ever defend your position.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:03 pm 
The Outcast

Sanctorian wrote:
MG, I’m fairly confident I’ve said this before, but let me take this opportunity to say it if I haven’t. At some point, the onus and flow of the discussion falls on you. No one comes to your defense simply because you have religiously shown you can’t maintain civil discourse through your style of posting. I’m not talking about language or even your belief in Mormonism. It’s your inability to understand when the discussion breaks down it’s almost exclusively your fault.

Until you can take ownership and recognize you are the source of your own problem here, no one will ever defend your position.

Where's apostle Christofferson when MG needs him most?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:40 pm 
God

Dr. Shades has responded before to mentalgymnast's incessant trolling of grindael. Sadly, it's been almost a year and Dr. Shades' words still perfectly describe mentalgymnast's posting behavior :
Dr. Shades, 12/2016, re: mentalgymnast, wrote:
It's perfectly okay to disagree with someone, call him or her out on his or her words vs. deeds, present alternate viewpoints to information given, etc. Yet at a certain point, being a contrarian simply for the sake of being a contrarian, even when one is technically ON-topic, counts as "trolling." And trolling is a derailment, if not a "hostile" one by dictionary-definition.

This is what happened to Tobin. He was always on-topic, but his contrarian-ness became not so much to provide the LDS point of view (as he did at the beginning) as it was to distract and annoy the opening poster (in my reasoned opinion). That's why I had to place his posts on the queue. When he noticed this, he departed immediately.

Mentalgymnast's posts in grindael's most recent threads clearly suffered from "The Tobin Syndrome."
http://mormondiscussions.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=1018463#p1018463
[emphasis added]

We have such a fantastic opportunity here to observe a historian as he researches and develops his work, but mentalgymnast takes every opportunity to derail and disparage that. Maybe it's time to place mentalgymnast's posts on queue.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:01 pm 
God

Good point Lemmie. MG invited himself to this party. The problem is no one wants to dance with him and he’s upset. He seems to forget just because he got into the party doesn’t mean anyone cares he’s there. Ya, he’s that guy.

Guess what? When that guy leaves, the party gets better. I don’t think a single poster misses Tobin. Not sure anyone will miss MG either.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:57 pm 
Savior (mortal ministry)

Sanctorian wrote:
Good point Lemmie. MG invited himself to this party. The problem is no one wants to dance with him and he’s upset. He seems to forget just because he got into the party doesn’t mean anyone cares he’s there. Ya, he’s that guy.

Guess what? When that guy leaves, the party gets better. I don’t think a single poster misses Tobin. Not sure anyone will miss MG either.

I miss Tobin, if only to point out his orneriness. I'd miss MG too. I like the fact that a few TBM's still share their thoughts here. I know it can get a little rough, but nobody has been burned at the stake yet. It would be a good example to show some tolerance.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:00 pm 
God

Sanctorian wrote:
MG invited himself to this party.

True, that.

Sanctorian wrote:
The problem is no one wants to dance with him and he’s upset.

Not upset as much as disappointed in where this board has gone. It has indeed become somewhat of a cesspool and echo chamber for disgruntled folks. A lot of negativity. But then, maybe that's what a majority of people thrive on around here. So be it.

Sanctorian wrote:
He seems to forget just because he got into the party doesn’t mean anyone cares he’s there. Ya, he’s that guy.

That may well be for the majority of active posters on this board. I'll grant you that.

Sanctorian wrote:
Guess what? When that guy leaves, the party gets better.

And that may well be also. For those that are dancing.

Sanctorian wrote:
I don’t think a single poster misses Tobin.

I thought he was an interesting guy. Much more so than a majority of the posters that regularly shout into this echo chamber. He had a different voice among the cacophony of 'sameness' and the predictable voices prevalent here.

Sanctorian wrote:
Not sure anyone will miss MG either.

That may well be true also.

Thanks for you input, Sanctorian.

Regards,
MG

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:02 pm 
God

Sanctorian wrote:
No one comes to your defense simply because you have religiously shown you can’t maintain civil discourse through your style of posting.

I don't think that's actually the reason. But I'm not going to be the one to burst your bubble/belief. I appreciate the fact that you feel this way.

Regards,
MG

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:04 pm 
God

I do my very best to keep the MentalPretzel on my mental ignore.

2 different threads same day 2 hours apart Yohoo Bat 12/1/2015

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:06 pm 
God

Sanctorian wrote:
[You have an] inability to understand when the discussion breaks down it’s almost exclusively your fault.

Go to the four separate links/threads in the OP and show where this is the case. I think you will be hard pressed to prove your assertion.

Sanctorian wrote:

Again, I realize that it is important to you and your agenda here on this board to promote this narrative. Others will be sure to support you I'm sure. That's what this board has come to.

It's an echo chamber of disgruntled critics with closed/dogmatic minds. In my opinion anyway. Any supporters? :lol:

Regards,
MG

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:09 pm 
God

Tator wrote:
I do my very best to keep the MentalPretzel on my mental ignore.

I'm totally cool with that. I have not ever had a conversation with you that sticks as having been memorable in any kind of productive way. There are some folks that I've been able to learn things from. You, unfortunately, are not one of them.

You are basically a pain in the butt.

Wow, I'm not really helping my cause by saying that to you am I? :wink:

Regards,
MG

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:12 pm 
God

Lemmie wrote:
We have such a fantastic opportunity here to observe a historian as he researches and develops his work, but mentalgymnast takes every opportunity to derail and disparage that. Maybe it's time to place mentalgymnast's posts on queue.

I agree with you. grindael is an excellent resource. I have said that a number of times.

I would invite you also to go to the four linked threads in the OP and show that I have purposefully derailed the thread(s).

Why should my posts be put on que? In which one of the four threads mentioned would that be a justifiable consequence for the way in which I participated and/or behaved myself?

Regards,
MG

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:14 pm 
God

mentalgymnast wrote:
Sanctorian wrote:

Again, I realize that it is important to you and your agenda here on this board to promote this narrative. Others will be sure to support you I'm sure. That's what this board has come to.

It's an echo chamber of disgruntled critics with closed/dogmatic minds. In my opinion anyway. Any supporters? :lol:

Regards,
MG

What exactly is my agenda?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:14 pm 
God

sock puppet wrote:
Sanctorian wrote:

Where's apostle Christofferson when MG needs him most?

Thanks for your input, sock puppet.

So far, so good.

I guess...

It looks like what we've seen and observed in the four threads I've linked to seems to be acceptable and even supported by those that have responded thus far.

Regards,
MG

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:19 pm 
God

Sanctorian wrote:

I think I know what it's not.

Support, friendship, acceptance, understanding, mercy, patience etc., towards those that are not of your own faith.

Again, I've asked for your input in regards to the four threads I've linked to. Care to respond? Oh yeah, you really don't care...

Regards,
MG

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:23 pm 
Holy Ghost

I did see how Grindael was misquoting MG, & thought it was childish - even more than the usual mutual name-calling. It could get confusing to people who are not regulars on this forum, so yeah, I’d agree to have it as a rule to not misquote people.

While we’re at it, I suggest extra likes to those who do not engage in logical fallacy... & for those who go above & beyond - allowing those who display emotional intelligence to be first in line for the kissing booth. :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:29 pm 
God

deacon blues wrote:
Sanctorian wrote:

I miss Tobin, if only to point out his orneriness. I'd miss MG too. I like the fact that a few TBM's still share their thoughts here. I know it can get a little rough, but nobody has been burned at the stake yet. It would be a good example to show some tolerance.

Thanks for your input, deacon.

I agree with you. Tolerance for those of another faith that may not be the same as the predominant faith on this board would be very helpful.

There is a lack of tolerance, yes.

Granted, folks are always wary of the 'other'. Sometimes to the point of making stuff up to build a wall.

See my sigline link. This pretty much encapsulates much of what I have experienced/seen here in the last while.

Fortunately, now and then, there have been posters that I've been able to carry on a civil conversation with. That's what has driven me to stick around up to this point. Those conversations are actually kind of fun. :smile:

I think at least two or more of the threads I linked to in my OP could have gone that direction. But I was falsely accused and basically run off. And that's no fun at all.

I don't know that I'd describe myself as strictly TBM, but I won't quibble with what you said in your post. I assume you were lumping me in with those folks. I know I'm not TBM.

And I think I've known myself long enough to know. :smile:

Regards,'
MG

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:30 pm 
God

mentalgymnast wrote:
Sanctorian wrote:

I think I know what it's not.

Support, friendship, acceptance, understanding, mercy, patience etc., towards those that are not of your own faith.

Again, I've asked for your input in regards to the four threads I've linked to. Care to respond? Oh yeah, you really don't care...

Regards,
MG

I see. So this board, in your opinion, should be a support forum for LDS faithful.

In response to the four threads in question, it’s not how I would have responded to you, but the end result is always the same.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:34 pm 
God

Amore wrote:
I did see how Grindael was misquoting MG, & thought it was childish - even more than the usual mutual name-calling. It could get confusing to people who are not regulars on this forum...

As I said, I think it's actually embarrassing to this board to see this kind of silliness.

I think that misquoting on purpose for the purpose mocking another poster is, well, just plain wrong. And it's a form of lying, to boot.

That's what's weird. This doesn't seem to bother anybody...well, you're the first one. :smile:

Regards,
MG

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:40 pm 
God

Sanctorian wrote:
I see.

No you don't.

Sanctorian wrote:
So this board, in your opinion, should be a support forum for LDS faithful.

What I said above. Proof? You just gave it.

You don't 'get it'. In no way do I think this board should be primarily a "support forum for the LDS faithful".

Good gosh.

Sanctorian wrote:
In response to the four threads in question, it’s not how I would have responded to you...

OK.

Sanctorian wrote:
...but the end result is always the same.

And that's my concern.

Regards,
MG

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:06 pm 
God

Sanctorian wrote:

MentalGymnast wrote:
It has indeed become somewhat of a cesspool and echo chamber for disgruntled folks.

MG wrote:
It's an echo chamber of disgruntled critics with closed/dogmatic minds.

MG wrote:
I'm totally cool with that. I have not ever had a conversation with you that sticks as having been memorable in any kind of productive way. There are some folks that I've been able to learn things from. You, unfortunately, are not one of them.

You are basically a pain in the butt.

MG wrote:
Care to respond? Oh yeah, you really don't care...

MG wrote:
Granted, folks are always wary of the 'other'. Sometimes to the point of making stuff up to build a wall.

So you've taken the liberty to broad stroke this board as a "cesspool of disgruntled closed minded lying individuals" and wonder why no one wants to engage you with "love, friendship, kindness, support, understanding, mercy, patience".

sanctorian wrote: