It is currently Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:54 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Donald Trump, I be coming fo' you
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 7:05 pm 
Apostle

Maxine Waters: ‘Donald Trump, I’m Coming For You’

Quote:
Saturday at a town hall in her home district in Los Angeles, Rep. Maxine Waters (D-CA), who has called for impeachment several times, told President Donald Trump she is coming for him.

Discussing President Trump firing FBI Director James Comey, Waters said,” He always went around the country talking about he was a good man, he had faith in him, that he was going to do a good job until he got too close to him. Donald Trump, I’m coming for you.”

Just cause you're president doesn't mean you get to pick who works in the executive branch of government. How else would we be able to feed CNN the necessary leaks?

This liberal would be about socializing … uh, umm. … Would be about, basically, taking over, and the government running all of your companies.

Post subject: Re: Donald Trump, I be coming fo' you
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 10:24 am 
God

The President isn't allowed to fire anyone in the Executive Branch he dislikes. Only some political appointees serve at the discretion of the President. The FBI director is one of those. No one is doubting Drumpf's ability to fire Comey. What is in dispute is the reasons behind it. Drumpf's alleged ties to Russia.
BTW Drumpf has admitted that he fired Comey for getting too close to Drumpf's Russian ties.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 11:07 am 
God

Is there a particular reason you changed the quote "Donald Trump, I’m coming for you," to "Donald Trump, I be coming fo' you" in the title?

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 1:17 pm 
God

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Is there a particular reason you changed the quote "Donald Trump, I’m coming for you," to "Donald Trump, I be coming fo' you" in the title?

Two one guesses.

Stay close to the people who feel like sunlight ~ Arsu Shaikh

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 1:32 pm 
Regional Representative

Jersey Girl wrote:
Doctor Steuss wrote:

Two one guesses.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 1:49 pm 
God

Xenophon wrote:
Jersey Girl wrote:

Two one guesses.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 12:48 pm 
God

Quote:
Just cause you're president doesn't mean you get to pick who works in the executive branch of government. How else would we be able to feed CNN the necessary leaks?

Leaks were considered cool by right-wing talk radio during the 2016 general election.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 3:46 am 
God

Great suggestion for future Trump strategy by Fox Advocacy Group:

https://www.facebook.com/OccupyDemocrats/videos/1546451105447938/

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 9:21 pm 
God

I know the really bad attempt at doing a mock black dialect comes from Ajax's racism, but I find it humorous that he's cool with making fun of how people talk given that he's from Louisiana by way of West Virginia. I know when people think of white people's dialects from those two locations, the first thing that pops into mind is how eloquent and learned they sound.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 1:48 pm 
Apostle

Quote:
I know when people think of white people's dialects from those two locations, the first thing that pops into mind is how eloquent and learned they sound.

Well all stereotypes exist for a reason but if you think anyone who speaks with a southern accent is unlearned than I suppose that warped reality that you impose upon your mind is to your own detriment.

Truth cuts its own way with reputations. You can't berate and bully your way to the reputation you want by dictating what you want people to think of you or even the race you belong to. Even when they're forbidden from stating the obvious people have this vexing ability to put 2 and 2 together.

This liberal would be about socializing … uh, umm. … Would be about, basically, taking over, and the government running all of your companies.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 3:00 pm 
God

Maxine Waters wrote:
Well all stereotypes exist for a reason but if you think anyone who speaks with a southern accent is unlearned than I suppose that warped reality that you impose upon your mind is to your own detriment.

No, I don't think anyone who speaks with a typical backwoods accent from WV or LA is a dumb yahoo just because their dialect is different from mine. But there are people who do, and their error in reasoning is the same as the one that leads you to think black dialects sound crude and ignorant. That's the irony here. The same errant thought process that underlies your bad attempt at racial mocking also applies to the subcultures you proudly count yourself among.

Black vernacular english, including the two variants you mock in your thread title, actually is closely related to creole and similar Southern dialects. You're basically making fun the culture you take so much pride in.

Your use of " Fo' " is what is known as non-rhotic behavior and is common in the South. That's when you drop the "r" at the end of a word after a vowel.

The use of "to be" to modify verbs to indicate verb tense also is common throughout the South even though we strongly associate it with blacks. In your case it's "I be coming.'" It's actually grammatically more complex to do this, but it has a negative reputation because it's historically associated with groups of people we associate with lack of education and poverty. There's nothing inherently wrong with it, though.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 4:15 pm 
Apostle

Quote:
But there are people who do, and their error in reasoning is the same as the one that leads you to think black dialects sound crude and ignorant.

What I find ironic is the responsibility was upon us from the first time we went to school to not give people a reason to think we were uneducated or not eloquent. I didn't really have a natural southern accent growing up, but my parents and grandparents certainly did. Imagine interviewing at a northern medical school with that twang. I learned to speak both because it was my responsibility to do what I could to get the outcome I wanted. They say I have a southern accent now. My patients feel more comfortable with it and wouldn't want me to change for anyone.

Contrast that with the black culture where they seek to put the responsibility on everyone else, employers, collegiate recruiters, etc. not to misjudge someone's ethics or intelligence based upon their ghetto talk, ubonix, and vulgar curse words.

And while a southern girls voice is the most beautiful sound I've heard, I've come to love the voice of DJT as did the many thousands of people at his rallies in Baton Rouge and New Orleans. You could hear the excitement in the people knowing that finally we had someone who could stand up to Washington, the tyrannical liberal elite, restore law and order, and put Americans first again and not just promise it, but win. And that's all he does is win.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 4:23 pm 
God

I am from southern Wisconsin. My native dialect is what is usually called the Inland Northern American dialect. It extends from the mid-Atlantic states through the more heavily populated parts of the midwest around the Great Lakes.

This dialect happens to be close to what Americans generally think of standard American English or, if you will, the proper way to speak. It's a result of historical happenstance, but it's the way you'll find an anchor speaking on the nightly news regardless of where they come from.

While it's not as nice as having an upper crust accent from the UK, the dialect is still instinctively considered the proper way to speak by such a large % of the population that using it has inherent advantages. Compared to someone who speaks with a distinct Appalachian English sound, i.e. "Hillbilly", I'm more likely to come across as smart, educated, and/or serious due to widespread bias in my favor. This comes in handy from everything from job interviews to getting to have my opinions taking seriously when I speak up.

Of course, the person from West Virginia can easily learn to speak like me, and chances are his schooling if not family taught them standard English well enough that he can adopt that dialect when the situation warrants it. So if he wants to be a news anchor, he can tone down his accent, which is another way of saying modify his accent so it sounds more like mine. Nonetheless, that person has to keep two ways of speaking in his head at the same time, whereas this is my native tongue.

I didn't do anything for this. I was born into it. You can say I'm born into privilege compared to my West Virginian friend. This doesn't mean I have more inherent privileges than he does in general. Maybe I was born poor and he were born rich. That would matter a lot more than how we speak. But I've got this one thing, at least.

This exact same situation holds true for me versus native speakers of the black vernacular. And this is an example of what is meant when academics refer to "white privilege." In this case, the privilege extends over disadvantaged white cultures as well. I thought I'd mention it because you are the sort of person who thinks the notion is nonsense, because woe to the white man.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 4:32 pm 
God

Maxine Waters wrote:

What I find ironic is the responsibility was upon us from the first time we went to school to not give people a reason to think we were uneducated or not eloquent.

I don't know if that counts as irony, but yes, that is unfair. That's the point I'm making. There's nothing inherently "dumb" about speaking with that accent over any other, but people's biases lead them in subtle and sometimes not-so-subtle ways to act differently. I'm saying this is wrong both your case and in the case of black vernacular. That you'd use a mocking black dialect, albeit poorly, does not reflect well on you and comes across as lacking self-awareness.

Quote:
And that's all he does is win.
This dear leader stuff is so unbecoming. You sound as ridiculous as a North Korean press release about Kim Jong Un.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 4:51 pm 
God

EAllusion,

I find your comments regarding speech simply fascinating. Do you believe that we speak what we hear? That's been my experience over the years.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 5:09 pm 
God

I'm reading the wiki link on peculiarities to Appalachian English. You call a bedspread a counterpane? A groundhog is a whistle pig? A paper bag is a poke?

What in God's name is going on?

(P.S. This is the first time I've learned what "pig in a poke" actually refers to. Apparently "poke" derives from French for sack. I'm guessing counterpane has a French origin too, but you're on your own with whistle pig.)

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 5:10 pm 
God

Jersey Girl wrote:
EAllusion,

I find your comments regarding speech simply fascinating. Do you believe that we speak what we hear? That's been my experience over the years.

I'm not sure what you mean. People pick up language by listening to it during their formative years.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 5:18 pm 
God

EAllusion wrote:
Jersey Girl wrote:
EAllusion,

I'm not sure what you mean. People pick up language by listening to it during their formative years.

Sorry, I meant accents. Not language development itself.