It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 217 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: The score so far (Health & Fitness)
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:55 pm 
God

Confession: For dinner yesterday I ate a baked potato with sour cream and steamed broccoli. I haven't had a baked potato like that in probably 2 YEARS. DAMN!!! It was SO FREAKING GOOD!!!

The other day I bought a pack of these:

Ate 3 of them with my lunch today. Didn't give a ____ either!!

:lol:

Stay close to the people who feel like sunlight ~ Arsu Shaikh

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:06 am 
God

Jersey Girl wrote:
The other day I bought a pack of these:

Ate 3 of them with my lunch today. Didn't give a ____ either!!

Now, see, those Pepperidge Farms bags are so adorably sized that I’ve always considered them to be single-serving packages. :biggrin:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:42 am 
God

They come in big boxes too. :wink: :biggrin:
SEE https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pepperidge-F ... es&veh=sem

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:46 am 
God

canpakes wrote:
Now, see, those Pepperidge Farms bags are so adorably sized that I’ve always considered them to be single-serving packages. :biggrin:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't have much of a sweet tooth, but I do like anything that screams "short bread cookie". These are addictive, but so far I'm standing my ground!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:46 am 
God

The CCC wrote:

The devil is alive and well at Walmart!

:twisted:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:03 pm 
God

The CCC wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:30 pm 
God

canpakes wrote:
The CCC wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject: Re: The score so far (Health
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:27 pm 
Area Authority

Last edited by Water Dog on Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:05 pm 
God

123. Get. OUT.

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:44 pm 
God

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
I see EAllusion's pathological need to be right outweighs (no pun intended) his need to be correct.

Here's what my wife and I purchased for $11.14 at a local Rancho Market:

This was an experiment done by the Nutrition class at the Salt Lake City Community College for those who thought like EAllusion, that eating well is beyond the reach of the impoverished.

Quote:
For the $10 Challenge I chose to go to the Rancho Market, which is a Latin market near me. Latin markets have some of the best produce selection for the best price. The items I was able to purchase were:

10lbs Idaho Potatoes
2lbs Carrots
1.45 Oranges
.42lb (1) Green Bell Pepper
.9lb (3) Roma Tomatoes
1lb Lentils
1lb Yellow Split Peas
2lbs Bananas
1lb Frozen Spinach
1lb Frozen Broccoli and Cauliflower Blend

For a total weight of 11.7 lbs.
Cost: $10.82 before tax, and $11.14 after tax

The fact of the matter is we have a food addiction problem in this country, and if you're really talking about not having enough money to meet our needs, the sheer amount of counseling and pharmacology you would require to treat food addiction would be astronomical. I think that's what EAllusion is getting at, that you can't lose weight because you're not really in control of your own faculties, or some such nonsense.

I dunno. Chalk it up to gut bacteria, daddy issues, or Big Fast Food waging psychological warfare on us since we were infants.

Then again I'm watching a Premier League soccer match and can't quite fathom why all those players aren't giant sacks of adipose tissue. Must be their gut bacteria or something...

- Doc

http://mormondiscussions.com/phpBB3/pos ... &p=1098889

Okay, so tell me how you made this. Tell me what one batch in the Instant Pot is...how much water added? Did you freeze the potatoes in the soup and do they reheat well?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:02 pm 
God

We have one of these:

http://www.instantpot.com (the one pictured on the far left)

https://instantpot.com/instantpot-cooking-time/

ctrl + f 'lentils' and it'll take you right to the settings.

You literally just dump your lentils into the pot (after washing them of course & don't forget the water), throw in your diced veggies, or bagged veggies, one bouillon cube, and season to taste of you're done cooking it.

We bought a stack of those black plastic meal container thingies:

https://www.google.com/search?q=black+p ... 80&bih=617

and basically filled each one up and threw them in the freezer. The soup itself is really good over a baked potato. OR you can just pressure cook your potatoes and add them to the soup to bulk it up. The meal is surprisingly filling and tasty.

Suuuuuuper cheap. Super easy. The ingredients can be acquired virtually anywhere. I don't know what the ____ is EAllusion's deal, but he's up in the night arguing his point.

- Doc

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:17 pm 
God

Thanks, I'm going to try that combination. I have soup recipes, including a lentil soup, but I get tired of it. I still haven't used the Instant Pot on my own yet. I might trade the bullion for a vegetable soup broth thing that I've switched to for other soups.

I'm interested in any recipes that contain lentils and beans. I'm not fond of split peas, but I'm wiling to give it a go in something other than ham/split pea soup which I basically despise.

So that is basically clean eating, something I strive for.

I appreciate you responding to the call to take this here. I didn't want to derail the other thing.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:07 pm 
God

I literally just bought a stack of 40 8" tortillas for $4. That's .10 cents a tortilla. My wife and I will make our own salsa for a few dollars and it makes something like a gallon. We will often take stuff that we make, like the lentil concoction above, put it in a tortilla with salsa and it makes a tasty meal for about a buck.

Healthy. Easy. Tasty. Frugal.

It's totally doable.

eta: Wait. My bad. I forgot 99% of the population lives in food deserts with only Kwik-e-marts and McD's within a 100 mile radius.

- Doc

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:10 pm 
God

No Doc. The rest of the world is less virtuous than you. That's why they don't make their own gallon jugs of salsa.

Your soup needs some seasoning development. Maybe saute some onions and garlic first? Add a little thyme and a couple bay leaves? Finish it with a little red wine vinegar for brightness or some soy sauce for savory depth? Those are cheap ingredients you can buy in bulk and use for many different applications. I don't know. It seems bland. Like, really bland.

Your frozen veggies probably are also cooked to all hell. Not much you can do about them being frozen, but I'd probably cook them separately and add them at the end so they don't get overdone while the pressure cooker is breaking down the tougher veggies.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:15 pm 
God

Gentlemen could you please stop taking shots at each other on this thread? This thread was intended to be a support and encouragement thread. Post your good ideas here. That's why I started it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:20 pm 
God

I would stop, but EAllusion's pathological need to, I dunno, be fantastically wrong and petty at the same is, as Mr. Peterson would put it, psychologically fascinating.

My food may be bland, granted it isn't a $10 Chipotle wrapped heart attack, but that's beside the point. It's cheap. It's healthy. It's attainable. All of which undermines EAllusion's assertion that eating healthy for less is virtually impossible for *reasons*.

:rolleyes:

- Doc

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:50 pm 
God

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
I would stop, but EAllusion's pathological need to, I dunno, be fantastically wrong and petty at the same is, as Mr. Peterson would put it, psychologically fascinating.

Screw. him. I've maintained this thread for over a year now. It's going right back on topic.

Quote:
My food may be bland, granted it isn't a $10 Chipotle wrapped heart attack, but that's beside the point. It's cheap. It's healthy. It's attainable. All of which undermines EAllusion's assertion that eating healthy for less is virtually impossible for *reasons*.

- Doc

There's not a darn thing wrong with the recipe. I have an old vegetarian cook book (Vegetarian Epicure) that has an incredible vegetable stock recipe (it actually has more than one) that can be used as the base for multiple soups and it can actually stand on it's own. I would up the tomato content because I'm some kind of tomato freak. No one knows why. I eat tomatoes in some form almost every single day. It's nothing I plan to do, it's just what I choose on any given day.

The point is, that it's a healthy and simple recipe and that's what I'm always after. I try to eat clean every day but don't go by the past 2 weeks because I've eaten restaurant food quite a few times here lately. I add almost no seasoning at all to soups except for garlic and basil, it depends. I haven't added salt to anything in decades except for the baking I do and a vaporizer. :lol:

I'm down to 123 now and haven't killed myself doing it either. My clothes fit so well, I feel great!

I'm going to look back over this thread and see if I want to post any other soup recipes of my own. Thanks for explaining how to do that. I know I'll end up trying to replicate that in the Instant Pot, Crock Pot or just on the stove.

I'm interested in the split peas only because I never cook with them, so why not give that a go.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:53 am 
God

Jersey Girl wrote:
I'm down to 123 now and haven't killed myself doing it either. My clothes fit so well, I feel great!

Emphasis mine, of course. I'm very pleased for you Jersey Girl. Not trying to get too much into the HAES nonsense, the numbers on the scale are way less important than that last part. If you're feeling better and able to enjoy life, that is what really matters.

I know earlier you were working a lot to add in the exercise, is that still going well for you?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:29 am 
God

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:

- Doc

My advice on your soup was actually serious. I offered some dirt cheap ways to enhance it. You can buy a supply of dried bay leaves at Costco for about 6 bucks that will last you until the end of time. You are making a big deal about how it is possible to eat very tasty food for very cheap, which I agree with if you know what you are doing, but maybe need a little boost on the flavor side of that aspiration?

You continue to misrepresent what I said for reasons that only you know.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:34 am 
God

Jersey Girl,

If you don't have a pressure cooker I strongly recommend getting one. We just made a large batch of hummus in under an hour, and for ~$5, which translates to ~$30 had we bought it from Costco. We put the excess in the freezer, and bam... Hummus fo' dayz. We use hummus instead of mayo and salad dressing as a spread. Delish...

- Doc

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:41 pm 
God

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Jersey Girl,

If you don't have a pressure cooker I strongly recommend getting one. We just made a large batch of hummus in under an hour, and for ~$5, which translates to ~$30 had we bought it from Costco. We put the excess in the freezer, and bam... Hummus fo' dayz. We use hummus instead of mayo and salad dressing as a spread. Delish...

- Doc

You might not recall (since this thread is over a year old) that I got an Instant Pot last year for C'mas. JB Is the only one who uses it. I love hummus, but have never made my own. I'll see about doing that, too. I intend to concentrate on good food/good cooking this winter. If you have a link to the instructions for pressure cooker hummus, I'm interested.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 217 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next