The Score So Far (Health & Fitness)

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related. No insults or personal attacks allowed. Rated G.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Re: The score so far (Health & Fitness)

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Jersey Girl,

You should post updates.

And yeah, I've been to the GC. I wanted to do a rim to rim hike, but that may be down the road because I could give two "F"s less about hiking right now.

Lem,

I have been to the PD! I have some really beautiful sunrise pics, but they're on a hard from an old laptop packed away in storage. If you have any pics you'd like to share I'd be really interested in seeing them.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_honorentheos
_Emeritus

Post by _honorentheos »

Mount Rushmore was a disappointment to me when I visited in '97 but it was also under renovation so we couldn't hike the trail up to it or above it. I've been told that makes a difference.

Devil's Tower was on the other end of the spectrum for me which we visited during the same trip, and I found it fascinating. But I attribute part of that to it's striking appearance after hours of driving seeing nothing but mile after mile of Wyoming scrub and antelopes. I don't recall what the drive back from South Dakota towards Utah was like.
The world is always full of the sound of waves..but who knows the heart of the sea, a hundred feet down? Who knows it's depth?
~ Eiji Yoshikawa
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Well, I'm looking fwd to the treasure room tour of Rushmore...

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

I dunno if I'll be posting at all during the time I'm away. I'll think about it.

Wanna see mine and NL's family castle?

http://rowallancastle.com/hire-scottish-castle/

*Website says it's a 20 minute drive. MapQuest says 45. Who knows.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Oh crap. The world isn't kind today. Even the patients on the support groups are at each other's throats and if you think people on this board get horsey with each other, lemme tell ya sick people get mean af. Two weeks ago one group invited me to join the mod team >>>> :lol:

So...escaping to the UK in my head. Health & Fitness thread, mental health has got to be worth something here, right?

We're visiting London, Glasgow, Paisley and Edinburgh.

I'm doing all the travel plans. I cannot express how long it took for me to wrap my head around logistics. I have to go out to the East Coast and pray that my flight isn't delayed by some act of hurricane god or Newark International Airport, then leave out of Newark International Airport a few days later and on to London first stop. Studied airfares in various combinations, transportation between countries (we almost added Ireland and then dropped it due to time constraints), then return to the states. Studied the trip leaving/arriving/returning from and to various locations and settled on London first.

Visited Expedia and airline websites until I realized that if you mess with Expedia using different starting points and destinations, you get different airlines--you never get them all because many airline companies aren't contracted with Expedia. Then you go to the websites. I booked through Expedia because I was able to get nonstop and the rates were basically the same as the websites.

Hotels are another thing altogether. I booked directly with the hotel websites which means I was constantly using a pounds to dollars calculator to estimate the cost. Somewhere around 2 a.m. I would typically forget what monetary system I was using on whatever website, throw up my hands, go to bed only to do the same thing the next go round. :evil:

What I've learned so far...

1. Like I said, if you're going to use Expedia--mess with it in different combinations. On my last attempt, I struck gold with 3 different non-stops--few and far between when I started. Do the trip one way, then reverse the trip and see what you come up with.

2. Scotland hotels are dirt cheap compared to London. There's a cool interactive map of London hotels you can move around to different areas and it'll come up with the list of hotels by whatever order you choose...lowest to highest, highest to lowest. Daily rate, rate of the entire booking and so on. The range of accommodations is startling. Anything from luxury hotels, to hostels, to well basically a closet size room where you share bathroom facilities. I chose the same hotel chain for each area.

3. Hotel chain websites are weird in the UK. They have 4 different combinations of booking types to choose from. Never saw anything like it. Free cancellation within 24 hours plus wifi, breakfast (I call it benefits now), Free cancellation within 24 hours plus nothing. Non-refundable plus benefits, and non-refundable plus nothing. Crazy.

4. Transportation between countries...train, air, bus. Air was cheaper and faster.

5. Ground transportation within countries...trains, buses, state cabs, independent cabs, Uber and Hop on Hop off tour double decker buses. We'll be using state owned cabs, Uber, trains and our feet most of the time. Taking a train between Glasgow and Edinburgh, faster and not much higher than the bus.

I want to acknowledge that I had tons of help and guidance from two MDBers who, in addition to my own research, gave me practical advice and answered my questions until they probably got sick of hearing from me. But they're good folks so they stuck with me. You can tell who they are. They're the ones I'm not smarting off at on the board. :lol:

Other things on the hit list:

How to get money (ATM)
Use our cell phone (Get short term International plan)
UK medical services (Emergency services are free to visitors)
Health insurance coverage (I'm covered)
Trip insurance (Getting it to cover the tickets in case we pull out within 48 hours of departure)

Currently sorting through details of the actual visit now. Spent last night organizing 900 Pins into manageable categories. Now attempting to "bundle" sights together in convenient locations.

If it weren't for my MDB friends and Pinterest I'd be nothing!

:biggrin:
Chinese Proverb
_Quasimodo
_Emeritus

Post by _Quasimodo »

Jersey Girl wrote:

We're visiting London, Glasgow, Paisley and Edinburgh.

I'm doing all the travel plans. I cannot express how long it took for me to wrap my head around logistics. I have to go out to the East Coast and pray that my flight isn't delayed by some act of hurricane god or Newark International Airport, then leave out of Newark International Airport a few days later and on to London first stop. Studied airfares in various combinations, transportation between countries (we almost added Ireland and then dropped it due to time constraints), then return to the states. Studied the trip leaving/arriving/returning from and to various locations and settled on London first.

It sounds like you have done a wonderful job of sorting all this out! You will have a wonderful time!

Please post photos when it's convenient. Remember that pubs are the best places to eat and if you need advice, ask a Bobby.
This, or any other post that I have made or will make in the future, is strictly my own opinion and consequently of little or no value.

"Faith is believing something you know ain't true" Twain.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Quasimodo wrote:
It sounds like you have done a wonderful job of sorting all this out! You will have a wonderful time!

It took me months to sort things out. I am slow to wrap my head around something new but once I've got it, I've got it. I have this trip nailed down and am so looking forward to it!

Please post photos when it's convenient.

I don't know if I can or will. Maybe I can work something out. ;-)

Remember that pubs are the best places to eat and if you need advice, ask a Bobby.

If you need a Pub, ask a Bobby.
If you don't know where you are, ask a Bobby.
If you don't know how to get there, ask a Bobby.
If your heart flips out, ask a Bobby.

Bobbys know everything and they go in pairs.
:wink:
Chinese Proverb
_Quasimodo
_Emeritus

Post by _Quasimodo »

Jersey Girl wrote:If you need a Pub, ask a Bobby.

And, you will find them on just about every corner in a city.

ETA: An interesting, but useless fact: Bobbies are called that because Sir Robert Peel (Prime Minister) created the world's first police department. Most people call them Bobbies. Criminals tend to call them Peelers or Coppers because the used to have copper buttons on their uniforms. That's why we still call them Cops in this country.
Last edited by Guest on Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
This, or any other post that I have made or will make in the future, is strictly my own opinion and consequently of little or no value.

_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Quasimodo wrote:
Jersey Girl wrote:If you need a Pub, ask a Bobby.

And, you will find them on just about every corner in a city.

So I hear!

:-)
Chinese Proverb
_Quasimodo
_Emeritus

Post by _Quasimodo »

Jersey Girl wrote:
So I hear!

:-)

Of course, if you are in Scotland, you may need a translator.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEYKiRXVJRU

:biggrin: