The Score So Far (Health & Fitness)

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related. No insults or personal attacks allowed. Rated G.
_canpakes
_Emeritus

Re: The score so far (Health & Fitness)

Post by _canpakes »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:Ah, man. I wish I would've read your note. My wife got some kid and his wife who're living with his mom to watch the place. They were looking to move out and this will be a good babystep for them.

No worries. We actually have two little ones just entering their prime destructive years, and I would not set them loose on just anyone’s property without appropriate bonding against the damage they could wreak or a forgiving extended family relationship in the mix. :smile: And what your wife has planned sounds like a good starting setup for the young couple... especially if you’re going to keep the chickens around; they’ll need a ‘foster parent’ in your absence.

Although our own plans have us headed that way pretty shortly, we don’t have all of the logistics and schedule worked out just yet. We are still scoping out the real estate situation and working on getting the current house in order for the jump north.

Regarding the AT: I do remember reading somewhere about someone who had walked the Trail and had ‘care packages’ sent to arrive at predetermined points along the way. It seemed like a pretty sweet deal to keep well-stocked with some things that might not be available otherwise along the trail side towns. I’m sure that this is probably common; I’m ignorant of the strategy for making such a long and involved hike.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

canpakes wrote:Although our own plans have us headed that way pretty shortly, we don’t have all of the logistics and schedule worked out just yet. We are still scoping out the real estate situation and working on getting the current house in order for the jump north.

The market here is super hot. It'd be to your advantage to have a realtor scouting stuff out for you right now. I used this guy:

https://www.zillow.com/profile/Daniel-Fox-Broker/

He kept us in mind when we gave up looking (nothing was really doing it for us), and gave us a call out of the blue basically stating that he found the perfect little place for us. Totally worked out.

canpakes wrote:Regarding the AT: I do remember reading somewhere about someone who had walked the Trail and had ‘care packages’ sent to arrive at predetermined points along the way. It seemed like a pretty sweet deal to keep well-stocked with some things that might not be available otherwise along the trail side towns. I’m sure that this is probably common; I’m ignorant of the strategy for making such a long and involved hike.

Yeah, they're called bounce boxes. We're going to have a bunch ready, pre-paid, pre-addressed, and just have the kid put them in the mail for us. It's pretty cool. The post offices along the trail all know the drill, and just keep them tucked away for you when you show up. It's kind of fun, really.

https://skyaboveus.com/climbing-hiking/ ... cking-trip

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

So, I was Making America Great Again today and I had a couple thoughts with regard to this thread and my upcoming Great Wilderness Fat Camp. Imma indulge a bit, so forgive me for thinking out loud, so to speak.

I think the reason why people are drawn to gyms, or hikes, or a regimen of fitness is because it provides a nice counterbalance to what we experience in this day and age* (I'll touch on that in a second). For me, the trail is a reset to see, hrm, color again in life. It's not that I'm depressed, but upon leaving the Army I was deeply affected by how different life is outside of a regimented routine, an identity that I embraced, and a purpose that felt on some level relevant to me. The thing is I went immediately from the Army right to the trail so I didn't get a sense of this malaise because I went from Purpose to Purpose, from routine to routine, from challenge to challenge. And believe you me the trail is hands down the most physically challenging thing I've done in my life outside of climbing Mt. Rainier as a teen.

However, once I moved to Utah I'm not going to lie and say it's been easy. It's been extraordinarily difficult to be retired. I've picked up a gig or two to pass the time, but it's very, very different doing something that neither gives me a sense of identity nor relevancy. I suppose you could say life has become easy and grey. I find no joy, meaning, or worthiness in anything. I feel contempt and disgust for the world around me, and I'm radically alienated from everyone around me. This isn't me feeling sorry for myself, because I absolutely don't. But I feel apart and disconnected because I just can't relate to others at this point in a way that feels meaningful.

Anyway.

Thank god I hiked the trail when I did so I have a frame of reference for something that does, indeed, ground me back to my humanity and balances me out. Let me explain why I think everyone ought to set aside six months and hike the Pacific Crest, Continental, or Appalachian trails. Or kayak the Mississippi which is on my bucket list. You get the idea.

On the trail, everything's simple and difficult. Your life is pared down to the essentials. You don't carry anything you don't need, you eat food because it's fuel, and you wear the same clothes everyday. You do very little besides eat, sleep, and walk. And you walk up and down “F” ing mountains, in the rain, in the cold, in the heat, and man let me tell you something: it's “F” ing hard, it's tough, it requires strength, fortitude, and will. And it's exactly this combination of simple and difficult that produces a stunningly rich, rewarding, fulfilling existence. But then life happens and:

* In 'civilized' life, everything is easy and complex. You have a comfortable bed, AC, a furnace, running water, ready-to-eat food everywhere. BUT, also have to choose what clothes to wear, and you have to consider what those clothes mean. You have to consider what other people's clothes mean, you have relationships to navigate, social dynamics, you've gotta go to work. You do laundry even though your clothes aren't really dirty. You have to remember to Be and Act Normal, and you have to remember how to play all these stupid “F” ing social games that you know are pointless outside of maintaining ease and comfort. You have to shower everyday because you're not allowed to smell like your body, and you feel frustrated and confused at all the useless BS around you. You can't find silence nor solitude anywhere, and there's always noise and people everywhere you go. And it's all so “F” ing easy, there's no challenge anywhere, nothing is hard, nothing is demanded of you, yet somehow it's all so “F” ing complicated..

There's a reason why some people refer to the gym as a temple, or a long stretch of trail as their church. We need to unplug, re-ground, and challenge ourselves to feel the simplicity of purpose. Move from 'here' to 'there'. Lift 'that' thing until you can't. Run yourself ragged on a machine or hike until exhaustion to wipe the slate clean of all our noise, comfort, excess, and messiness. Simple. Difficult. Maybe it's earning the right to be comfortable, something that, honestly, most of humanity had never experienced. Perhaps we're not psychologically prepared to live without the struggle. I don't know. But I know it calls to me. The trail. And I'll go and walk.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_canpakes
_Emeritus

Post by _canpakes »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:simple and difficult

vs.

complex and easy

Hmm. Interesting. Never thought of it quite this way, but it really sums up the differences between the two environments nicely.

ETA: on a solo hike once and pretty far from any easy access to civilization or cell signal, I came quite close to giving an ankle a knockout twist. At that moment, the simple yet difficult (as you put it) scenario of having to navigate several miles through some rocky terrain in desert heat with an impairment added a certain clarifying filter to my thought process. It's something that rarely happens in the midst of daily urban living.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

canpakes wrote:
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:simple and difficult

vs.

complex and easy

Hmm. Interesting. Never thought of it quite this way, but it really sums up the differences between the two environments nicely.

ETA: on a solo hike once and pretty far from any easy access to civilization or cell signal, I came quite close to giving an ankle a knockout twist. At that moment, the simple yet difficult (as you put it) scenario of having to navigate several miles through some rocky terrain in desert heat with an impairment added a certain clarifying filter to my thought process. It's something that rarely happens in the midst of daily urban living.

Absolutely. That moment has etched itself into your character and is remembered, probably with pride, that you won the day. Whereas how many days of home life have faded into nothingness, a sort of strip of film where each cel just lends itself to the routine? Granted going to the gym or for a long walk is a routine itself, so I'm not totally sure what my point is outside of getting a mental and physical pickmeup.

- Doc

_Always Changing
_Emeritus

Post by _Always Changing »

canpakes wrote:Hmm. Interesting. Never thought of it quite this way, but it really sums up the differences between the two environments nicely.

In an urban setting, I face the same situation. I restrict my walking for exercise to around the building. At any time, if it is too much, I can return home quickly. I have calculated that once I work up to seven times around the building, I will be ready to walk to the library. Until then, I opt for safety. Because when I get overtired, my lower back muscles can spasm, pinching and damaging my sciatic nerve further.
Problems with auto-correct:
In Helaman 6:39, we see the Badmintons, so similar to Skousenite Mormons, taking over the government and abusing the rights of many.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

So, I'm in a complete inertia phase. Not doing anything. Think I gained 2 pounds back. Didn't weigh, it just feels like it.

:eek:
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

I woke up this morning. I rolled over to give my sweetness a nuzz and a huggle. She stirred a bit and whined out, "I don' wanna go to the gym this morning."

I laughed and said, "No worries." and got out of bed. I already had my shorts and sweatshirt on.

Within seconds she hops out of bed and starts our coffee. Ten minutes later we're headed out the door caffeinated and ready to go.

We were on the ellipticals and she related to me that the reason she got out of bed is because she's reading a book that outlines what the great quarterbacks of the NFL do, their routines, their discipline, etc...

We've gone from being completely out of shape to a baseline of one hour cardio in the gym. Today felt good. Can't wait to get on the trail.

Oh, and both my kids, who're in the Navy, have really gotten into the fitness thing. It's interesting how people emulate one another.

- Doc

_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Recipe from Damn Delicious: Quinoa Stuffed Peppers

https://damndelicious.net/2013/06/03/qu ... l-peppers/

I'm putting this in my face as I'm posting. It's very good! Peppers didn't finish cooking but that's only because I live at high altitude. Other than that...it'd damn delicious! :lol:

I did have quite a bit of leftover filling. Freezing it for a side dish at a later time. I also think you could sub fresh tomatoes for the canned. I used low sodium canned kernel corn.

(I've never tried a recipe from this website that didn't turn out to be great!)
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:.... Let me explain why I think everyone ought to set aside six months and hike the Pacific Crest, Continental, or Appalachian trails. Or kayak the Mississippi which is on my bucket list. You get the idea.

On the trail, everything's simple and difficult. Your life is pared down to the essentials. You don't carry anything you don't need, you eat food because it's fuel, and you wear the same clothes everyday. You do very little besides eat, sleep, and walk. And you walk up and down “F” ing mountains, in the rain, in the cold, in the heat, and man let me tell you something: it's “F” ing hard, it's tough, it requires strength, fortitude, and will. And it's exactly this combination of simple and difficult that produces a stunningly rich, rewarding, fulfilling existence. But then life happens and:

* In 'civilized' life, everything is easy and complex. You have a comfortable bed, AC, a furnace, running water, ready-to-eat food everywhere. BUT, also have to choose what clothes to wear, and you have to consider what those clothes mean. You have to consider what other people's clothes mean, you have relationships to navigate, social dynamics, you've gotta go to work. You do laundry even though your clothes aren't really dirty. You have to remember to Be and Act Normal, and you have to remember how to play all these stupid “F” ing social games that you know are pointless outside of maintaining ease and comfort. You have to shower everyday because you're not allowed to smell like your body, and you feel frustrated and confused at all the useless BS around you. You can't find silence nor solitude anywhere, and there's always noise and people everywhere you go. And it's all so “F” ing easy, there's no challenge anywhere, nothing is hard, nothing is demanded of you, yet somehow it's all so “F” ing complicated..

There's a reason why some people refer to the gym as a temple, or a long stretch of trail as their church. We need to unplug, re-ground, and challenge ourselves to feel the simplicity of purpose. Move from 'here' to 'there'. Lift 'that' thing until you can't. Run yourself ragged on a machine or hike until exhaustion to wipe the slate clean of all our noise, comfort, excess, and messiness. Simple. Difficult. Maybe it's earning the right to be comfortable, something that, honestly, most of humanity had never experienced. Perhaps we're not psychologically prepared to live without the struggle. I don't know. But I know it calls to me. The trail. And I'll go and walk.

- Doc

This post inspired me more than you could possibly know, Doc, thank you.

So, if I have been counting correctly, are you at T minus 5 days for your 4-month Appalachian Trail Adventure?