The Score So Far (Health & Fitness)

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related. No insults or personal attacks allowed. Rated G.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Re: The score so far (Health & Fitness)

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Doc's answer about going back to the gym!!!

Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

OmG. Stop everything!

I found my winter workout!!! Heck yeah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1kH0_ackfA
Chinese Proverb
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Jersey Girl wrote:Is anyone still on track? My weight is still at the 2 extra pounds I gained back and holding there. Still eating decently. I've been totally sidelined for a total of 3 weeks due to a medical emergency and treatment I had in the process. Hoping to get the green light in another 2 weeks after a doc appointment!

I've been swimming, gardening, working in some yoga and that's really about it for now.

I had to read back to see where I was at when I last reported in. So I was at 127 lbs, just diagnosed with a heart arrhythmia, put on meds and had gotten the green light to exercise.

Suffice it to say everything about my fitness goals went to hell and back again this summer. I don't think I went back to the gym except for swimming a couple of times. I can't recall now. My weight went up to 130 (I ate my feelings) I had another episode of the arrhythmia that I kicked out on my own. Yay me!

My weight is now at 127 again, still 2 extra pounds from the initial weight loss and I started exercising again. Just walking the drive way, only a half a mile, but it took a lot of courage to do that because previously I'd been too chicken to do it on account of the heart thing even though the doc said I was good to go. Knowing that your heart can unexpectedly go out of rhythm is a head trip. It took about 2 months I guess for me to finally get to the point where I said "This is bs I need to break free." And I did. :-)

So...back in action and I have to live with a new normal on account of one of the meds I was given that won't let my heart rate go over 100 but I figure the ability to raise my heart rate is good even though it's not as high as I would like, it's still good cardio. I'm happy that cardio (even though it seemed scary at first) is actually the best thing I can do for the condition I have. Makes me feel so much better and so much more in control.

I'm leaving on a trip soon, my running shoes are going. I'm headed into a situation where most people aren't exercising, so I'll have to break free once again. I'm also bringing some of my own non-perishable food. It'll be a little test but I'm good with it and I have a Vegan who will think it's cool.

Breaking free is awesome!
:-)
Chinese Proverb
_canpakes
_Emeritus

Post by _canpakes »

Jersey Girl wrote:My weight is now at 127 again, still 2 extra pounds from the initial weight loss and I started exercising again.

Congratulations! Keep going!

You're doing better than I am at the moment. I was pretty militant about my eating for the last few months and lost about 10 lbs (ideally I should lose another 5 assuming that I'm merely trying to get to a very low fat percentage) but have since rebelled and been on an eating binge of sorts lately. Now, back up another 5 pounds since that low point. But here's what's weird... gaining weight isn't 'enjoyable', or at least not the munching that leads to it. After all of those months of careful eating, porking out with a fat plate of goodies just doesn't feel physically satisfying. I'm hoping that I'm at the point where disgust from overeating keeps me permanently on the lower side of my usual weight range.

We'll see... the holidays are coming up...
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

canpakes wrote:
Jersey Girl wrote:My weight is now at 127 again, still 2 extra pounds from the initial weight loss and I started exercising again.

Congratulations! Keep going!

You're doing better than I am at the moment. I was pretty militant about my eating for the last few months and lost about 10 lbs (ideally I should lose another 5 assuming that I'm merely trying to get to a very low fat percentage) but have since rebelled and been on an eating binge of sorts lately. Now, back up another 5 pounds since that low point. But here's what's weird... gaining weight isn't 'enjoyable', or at least not the munching that leads to it. After all of those months of careful eating, porking out with a fat plate of goodies just doesn't feel physically satisfying. I'm hoping that I'm at the point where disgust from overeating keeps me permanently on the lower side of my usual weight range.

We'll see... the holidays are coming up...

You've done so well, canpakes! I bet you can move that 5 pounds if you are intentional about it. It's when I lose all intentionality that I mess up royally.

Disgusting yourself is a very useful tool! :lol: Watching your hard work go down the drain...ugh!

Weighed at 126 this morning. Omg...there is hope. :lol:

One good thing about this arrhythmia thing is that over eating is legit a trigger. So...if I don't want that to happen to me, I need to eat smaller portions. Win:Win.

I'm hopeful I can do this!
Chinese Proverb
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Now hear this!! I must've been at the rock bottom of the 126 when I weighed in on the 16th. I weighed in this morning at...drum roll...

125!!!!!

Yeah I killed off that one last pound so back to the 10 pound total loss!!!!!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Chinese Proverb
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Chinese Proverb
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Okay here's the deal. Just came off a trip, gained back just one pound, at 126 so I'm good with that.

I've been poking around online about heart healthy diets and about blew myself away when I realized how close I am to the Mediterranean Diet so I'm going all the way with it. I need to increase fish and servings of fruits and vegetables, and I'm pretty much there. It's got everything I like and a couple of things I haven't even thought of like using extra virgin olive oil as a dipping sauce for whole grain breads. I'd mainly cut out bread because I've become tired of it, but dipped in olive oil? Didn't even cross my mind even though I've had it and loved it in restaurants.

From Mayo Clinic:

Putting it all together

The Mediterranean diet is a delicious and healthy way to eat. Many people who switch to this style of eating say they'll never eat any other way. Here are some specific steps to get you started:

Eat your veggies and fruits — and switch to whole grains. An abundance and variety of plant foods should make up the majority of your meals. Strive for seven to 10 servings a day of veggies and fruits. Switch to whole-grain bread and cereal, and begin to eat more whole-gain rice and pasta products.

Go nuts. Keep almonds, cashews, pistachios and walnuts on hand for a quick snack. Choose natural peanut butter, rather than the kind with hydrogenated fat added. Try tahini (blended sesame seeds) as a dip or spread for bread.

Pass on the butter. Try olive or canola oil as a healthy replacement for butter or margarine. Use it in cooking. Dip bread in flavored olive oil or lightly spread it on whole-grain bread for a tasty alternative to butter. Or try tahini as a dip or spread.

Spice it up. Herbs and spices make food tasty and are also rich in health-promoting substances. Season your meals with herbs and spices rather than salt.

Go fish. Eat fish once or twice a week. Fresh or water-packed tuna, salmon, trout, mackerel and herring are healthy choices. Grilled fish tastes good and requires little cleanup. Avoid fried fish, unless it's sauteed in a small amount of canola oil.

Rein in the red meat. Substitute fish and poultry for red meat. When eaten, make sure it's lean and keep portions small (about the size of a deck of cards). Also avoid sausage, bacon and other high-fat meats.

Choose low-fat dairy. Limit higher fat dairy products such as whole or 2 percent milk, cheese and ice cream. Switch to skim milk, fat-free yogurt and low-fat cheese.

Raise a glass to healthy eating. If it's OK with your doctor, have a glass of wine at dinner. If you don't drink alcohol, you don't need to start. Drinking purple grape juice may be an alternative to wine.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-life ... 47801?pg=2

Dang, I love this whole thing and the above gives simple guidelines. I pretty much eat clean, I've already switched to canola and olive oil. I eat nuts every day, I eat legumes, love Quinoa don't eat it enough, love beans instead of meat, I eat basically everything it offers only I need to increase portions and it cuts out nearly everything I dislike these days. Like ditch the red meat except for maybe twice a month if I want it and I hardly ever do. So yeah, this is totally do-able for me.

I also spent time with a raw Vegan on my trip and loved everything she ate including the raw Vegan restaurant we visited so that's great inspiration! I'm excited!

Hope everyone is still hanging in there with their health and fitness goals! Holidays are right around the corner so good luck, people!

:-)
Chinese Proverb
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

What herbs should I put in the olive oil for dipping? Anyone know? Basil?
Chinese Proverb
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

First Attempt at a transition to Mediterranean (I realized I've done this before) Diet.

Bag of Caesar Salad (dressing, grated parmesan, bread crumbs and seasoning inside bag)

I donated the bread crumbs and seasoning to a family member. ;-)

Unleashed the salad, put in the cheese, dressing, added red beans, sunflower seeds and tomatoes.

Loved. It.

It's a start!
Chinese Proverb