It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:14 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 386 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 19  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: The score so far (Health & Fitness)
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:53 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:54 am
Posts: 5553
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Ah, man. I wish I would've read your note. My wife got some kid and his wife who're living with his mom to watch the place. They were looking to move out and this will be a good babystep for them.

No worries. We actually have two little ones just entering their prime destructive years, and I would not set them loose on just anyone’s property without appropriate bonding against the damage they could wreak or a forgiving extended family relationship in the mix. :smile: And what your wife has planned sounds like a good starting setup for the young couple... especially if you’re going to keep the chickens around; they’ll need a ‘foster parent’ in your absence.

Although our own plans have us headed that way pretty shortly, we don’t have all of the logistics and schedule worked out just yet. We are still scoping out the real estate situation and working on getting the current house in order for the jump north.

Regarding the AT: I do remember reading somewhere about someone who had walked the Trail and had ‘care packages’ sent to arrive at predetermined points along the way. It seemed like a pretty sweet deal to keep well-stocked with some things that might not be available otherwise along the trail side towns. I’m sure that this is probably common; I’m ignorant of the strategy for making such a long and involved hike.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: The score so far (Health & Fitness)
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:41 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:02 am
Posts: 16744
canpakes wrote:
Although our own plans have us headed that way pretty shortly, we don’t have all of the logistics and schedule worked out just yet. We are still scoping out the real estate situation and working on getting the current house in order for the jump north.


The market here is super hot. It'd be to your advantage to have a realtor scouting stuff out for you right now. I used this guy:

https://www.zillow.com/profile/Daniel-Fox-Broker/

He kept us in mind when we gave up looking (nothing was really doing it for us), and gave us a call out of the blue basically stating that he found the perfect little place for us. Totally worked out.

canpakes wrote:
Regarding the AT: I do remember reading somewhere about someone who had walked the Trail and had ‘care packages’ sent to arrive at predetermined points along the way. It seemed like a pretty sweet deal to keep well-stocked with some things that might not be available otherwise along the trail side towns. I’m sure that this is probably common; I’m ignorant of the strategy for making such a long and involved hike.


Yeah, they're called bounce boxes. We're going to have a bunch ready, pre-paid, pre-addressed, and just have the kid put them in the mail for us. It's pretty cool. The post offices along the trail all know the drill, and just keep them tucked away for you when you show up. It's kind of fun, really.

https://skyaboveus.com/climbing-hiking/ ... cking-trip

- Doc


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: The score so far (Health & Fitness)
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:00 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:02 am
Posts: 16744
So, I was Making America Great Again today and I had a couple thoughts with regard to this thread and my upcoming Great Wilderness Fat Camp. Imma indulge a bit, so forgive me for thinking out loud, so to speak.

I think the reason why people are drawn to gyms, or hikes, or a regimen of fitness is because it provides a nice counterbalance to what we experience in this day and age* (I'll touch on that in a second). For me, the trail is a reset to see, hrm, color again in life. It's not that I'm depressed, but upon leaving the Army I was deeply affected by how different life is outside of a regimented routine, an identity that I embraced, and a purpose that felt on some level relevant to me. The thing is I went immediately from the Army right to the trail so I didn't get a sense of this malaise because I went from Purpose to Purpose, from routine to routine, from challenge to challenge. And believe you me the trail is hands down the most physically challenging thing I've done in my life outside of climbing Mt. Rainier as a teen.

However, once I moved to Utah I'm not going to lie and say it's been easy. It's been extraordinarily difficult to be retired. I've picked up a gig or two to pass the time, but it's very, very different doing something that neither gives me a sense of identity nor relevancy. I suppose you could say life has become easy and grey. I find no joy, meaning, or worthiness in anything. I feel contempt and disgust for the world around me, and I'm radically alienated from everyone around me. This isn't me feeling sorry for myself, because I absolutely don't. But I feel apart and disconnected because I just can't relate to others at this point in a way that feels meaningful.

Anyway.

Thank god I hiked the trail when I did so I have a frame of reference for something that does, indeed, ground me back to my humanity and balances me out. Let me explain why I think everyone ought to set aside six months and hike the Pacific Crest, Continental, or Appalachian trails. Or kayak the Mississippi which is on my bucket list. You get the idea.

On the trail, everything's simple and difficult. Your life is pared down to the essentials. You don't carry anything you don't need, you eat food because it's fuel, and you wear the same clothes everyday. You do very little besides eat, sleep, and walk. And you walk up and down ____ ing mountains, in the rain, in the cold, in the heat, and man let me tell you something: it's ____ ing hard, it's tough, it requires strength, fortitude, and will. And it's exactly this combination of simple and difficult that produces a stunningly rich, rewarding, fulfilling existence. But then life happens and:

* In 'civilized' life, everything is easy and complex. You have a comfortable bed, AC, a furnace, running water, ready-to-eat food everywhere. BUT, also have to choose what clothes to wear, and you have to consider what those clothes mean. You have to consider what other people's clothes mean, you have relationships to navigate, social dynamics, you've gotta go to work. You do laundry even though your clothes aren't really dirty. You have to remember to Be and Act Normal, and you have to remember how to play all these stupid ____ ing social games that you know are pointless outside of maintaining ease and comfort. You have to shower everyday because you're not allowed to smell like your body, and you feel frustrated and confused at all the useless ____ around you. You can't find silence nor solitude anywhere, and there's always noise and people everywhere you go. And it's all so ____ ing easy, there's no challenge anywhere, nothing is hard, nothing is demanded of you, yet somehow it's all so ____ ing complicated..

There's a reason why some people refer to the gym as a temple, or a long stretch of trail as their church. We need to unplug, re-ground, and challenge ourselves to feel the simplicity of purpose. Move from 'here' to 'there'. Lift 'that' thing until you can't. Run yourself ragged on a machine or hike until exhaustion to wipe the slate clean of all our noise, comfort, excess, and messiness. Simple. Difficult. Maybe it's earning the right to be comfortable, something that, honestly, most of humanity had never experienced. Perhaps we're not psychologically prepared to live without the struggle. I don't know. But I know it calls to me. The trail. And I'll go and walk.

- Doc


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: The score so far (Health & Fitness)
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:53 am 
God
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:54 am
Posts: 5553
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
simple and difficult

vs.

complex and easy

Hmm. Interesting. Never thought of it quite this way, but it really sums up the differences between the two environments nicely.

ETA: on a solo hike once and pretty far from any easy access to civilization or cell signal, I came quite close to giving an ankle a knockout twist. At that moment, the simple yet difficult (as you put it) scenario of having to navigate several miles through some rocky terrain in desert heat with an impairment added a certain clarifying filter to my thought process. It's something that rarely happens in the midst of daily urban living.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: The score so far (Health & Fitness)
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:03 am 
God
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:02 am
Posts: 16744
canpakes wrote:
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
simple and difficult

vs.

complex and easy

Hmm. Interesting. Never thought of it quite this way, but it really sums up the differences between the two environments nicely.

ETA: on a solo hike once and pretty far from any easy access to civilization or cell signal, I came quite close to giving an ankle a knockout twist. At that moment, the simple yet difficult (as you put it) scenario of having to navigate several miles through some rocky terrain in desert heat with an impairment added a certain clarifying filter to my thought process. It's something that rarely happens in the midst of daily urban living.


Absolutely. That moment has etched itself into your character and is remembered, probably with pride, that you won the day. Whereas how many days of home life have faded into nothingness, a sort of strip of film where each cel just lends itself to the routine? Granted going to the gym or for a long walk is a routine itself, so I'm not totally sure what my point is outside of getting a mental and physical pickmeup.

- Doc


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: The score so far (Health & Fitness)
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:47 am 
Savior (mortal ministry)

Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:17 am
Posts: 941
canpakes wrote:
Hmm. Interesting. Never thought of it quite this way, but it really sums up the differences between the two environments nicely.

ETA: on a solo hike once and pretty far from any easy access to civilization or cell signal, I came quite close to giving an ankle a knockout twist. At that moment, the simple yet difficult (as you put it) scenario of having to navigate several miles through some rocky terrain in desert heat with an impairment added a certain clarifying filter to my thought process. It's something that rarely happens in the midst of daily urban living.
In an urban setting, I face the same situation. I restrict my walking for exercise to around the building. At any time, if it is too much, I can return home quickly. I have calculated that once I work up to seven times around the building, I will be ready to walk to the library. Until then, I opt for safety. Because when I get overtired, my lower back muscles can spasm, pinching and damaging my sciatic nerve further.

_________________
Problems with auto-correct:
In Helaman 6:39, we see the Badmintons, so similar to Skousenite Mormons, taking over the government and abusing the rights of many.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: The score so far (Health & Fitness)
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:57 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:16 pm
Posts: 29210
Location: Off the Deep End
So, I'm in a complete inertia phase. Not doing anything. Think I gained 2 pounds back. Didn't weigh, it just feels like it.

:eek:

_________________
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb


Stay close to the people who feel like sunlight ~ Arsu Shaikh


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: The score so far (Health & Fitness)
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:53 am 
God
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:02 am
Posts: 16744
I woke up this morning. I rolled over to give my sweetness a nuzz and a huggle. She stirred a bit and whined out, "I don' wanna go to the gym this morning."

I laughed and said, "No worries." and got out of bed. I already had my shorts and sweatshirt on.

Within seconds she hops out of bed and starts our coffee. Ten minutes later we're headed out the door caffeinated and ready to go.

We were on the ellipticals and she related to me that the reason she got out of bed is because she's reading a book that outlines what the great quarterbacks of the NFL do, their routines, their discipline, etc...

We've gone from being completely out of shape to a baseline of one hour cardio in the gym. Today felt good. Can't wait to get on the trail.

Oh, and both my kids, who're in the Navy, have really gotten into the fitness thing. It's interesting how people emulate one another.

- Doc


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: The score so far (Health & Fitness)
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:41 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:16 pm
Posts: 29210
Location: Off the Deep End
Recipe from Damn Delicious: Quinoa Stuffed Peppers

https://damndelicious.net/2013/06/03/qu ... l-peppers/

I'm putting this in my face as I'm posting. It's very good! Peppers didn't finish cooking but that's only because I live at high altitude. Other than that...it'd damn delicious! :lol:

I did have quite a bit of leftover filling. Freezing it for a side dish at a later time. I also think you could sub fresh tomatoes for the canned. I used low sodium canned kernel corn.

(I've never tried a recipe from this website that didn't turn out to be great!)

_________________
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb


Stay close to the people who feel like sunlight ~ Arsu Shaikh


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: The score so far (Health & Fitness)
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 3:45 pm 
God

Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:25 pm
Posts: 7270
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
.... Let me explain why I think everyone ought to set aside six months and hike the Pacific Crest, Continental, or Appalachian trails. Or kayak the Mississippi which is on my bucket list. You get the idea.

On the trail, everything's simple and difficult. Your life is pared down to the essentials. You don't carry anything you don't need, you eat food because it's fuel, and you wear the same clothes everyday. You do very little besides eat, sleep, and walk. And you walk up and down ____ ing mountains, in the rain, in the cold, in the heat, and man let me tell you something: it's ____ ing hard, it's tough, it requires strength, fortitude, and will. And it's exactly this combination of simple and difficult that produces a stunningly rich, rewarding, fulfilling existence. But then life happens and:

* In 'civilized' life, everything is easy and complex. You have a comfortable bed, AC, a furnace, running water, ready-to-eat food everywhere. BUT, also have to choose what clothes to wear, and you have to consider what those clothes mean. You have to consider what other people's clothes mean, you have relationships to navigate, social dynamics, you've gotta go to work. You do laundry even though your clothes aren't really dirty. You have to remember to Be and Act Normal, and you have to remember how to play all these stupid ____ ing social games that you know are pointless outside of maintaining ease and comfort. You have to shower everyday because you're not allowed to smell like your body, and you feel frustrated and confused at all the useless ____ around you. You can't find silence nor solitude anywhere, and there's always noise and people everywhere you go. And it's all so ____ ing easy, there's no challenge anywhere, nothing is hard, nothing is demanded of you, yet somehow it's all so ____ ing complicated..

There's a reason why some people refer to the gym as a temple, or a long stretch of trail as their church. We need to unplug, re-ground, and challenge ourselves to feel the simplicity of purpose. Move from 'here' to 'there'. Lift 'that' thing until you can't. Run yourself ragged on a machine or hike until exhaustion to wipe the slate clean of all our noise, comfort, excess, and messiness. Simple. Difficult. Maybe it's earning the right to be comfortable, something that, honestly, most of humanity had never experienced. Perhaps we're not psychologically prepared to live without the struggle. I don't know. But I know it calls to me. The trail. And I'll go and walk.

- Doc

This post inspired me more than you could possibly know, Doc, thank you.

So, if I have been counting correctly, are you at T minus 5 days for your 4-month Appalachian Trail Adventure?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: The score so far (Health & Fitness)
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 5:14 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:02 am
Posts: 16744
Thanks, Lemmie. I just talked to my brother in-law, who by all metrics is successful, and should be happy. And yet, he confided in me that he wants to die, that he hopes he contracts an incurable sickness so he has an out.

It broke my heart soul to listen to this man, this great man who has crafted a life, with children and wife and a dog and guinea pigs and a garden, where they live in a beautiful and desired neighborhood, where he has built a successful and ethical business, who by all rights is living the American Dream, and he wishes for death.

We had a nice conversation about life, what it means to live meaningfully, and to develop a fundamental appreciation for being alive. He has a standing invite to join me next year when I bike the Great Divide Mountain Bike Trail. I hope he does. For him.

So, yeah! We fly out on the 8th and will start our hike on our 8th wedding anniversary. I can't think of a better way to live than getting in shape on the AT.

- Doc


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: The score so far (Health & Fitness)
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 6:54 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:16 pm
Posts: 29210
Location: Off the Deep End
Cam I have to tell you something, and then give you something. When I read your new comments here (I read the previous when you posted them) my thoughts went directly to something I discovered when I was in high school. I was flipping through posters in a store in Jersey when I found a quote that was printed like a labyrinth. I loved it so much that I bought it, took it home and framed it. I didn't know at the time that it was a reflection of a verse in Ecclesiastes and I didn't know that my new discovery would lead to an author whose writing proved to be relevant to me and continue to resonate with me my whole life. It still does.

I hope you know me well enough to know that this isn't preaching. It's sharing a philosophy with you that seems relevant to your upcoming trip and the comments you made about yourself and now your brother in-law. If it's not, then all I did was fail. Haven't died from that yet. ;-)

Here's the quote from the poster. My wish for your trip!

Quote:
Remember thy Creator in the days of thy youth. Rise free from care before the dawn, and seek adventures. Let the noon find thee by other lakes, and the night overtake thee everywhere at home.

So moving forward with Ecclesiastes and then more from Walden by Henry David Thoreau (the top quote there)...these seem to fit with what you've been thinking about and discussing in your above. If you've never read the Thoreau quotes in context, I hope one day that you will.

Here's Ecclesiastes:

Quote:
12 Remember now thy Creator in the days of thy youth, while the evil days come not, nor the years draw nigh, when thou shalt say, I have no pleasure in them;

Here comes Thoreau...

Quote:
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.

Quote:
All men want, not something to do with, but something to do, or rather something to be.

Quote:
I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.

Okay I won't over do it. I'm so happy for you, so jealous of you, and I hope that your trip sees you and your Mrs. achieving your personal goals. I hope that you return having discovered something new whatever it might be. Something that renews your spirit and refreshes the soul, a new idea, something that inspires. I hope you'll share when you return.

Happy trails and "Let the noon find thee by other lakes, and the night overtake thee everywhere at home."

Jersey
:-)

_________________
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb


Stay close to the people who feel like sunlight ~ Arsu Shaikh


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: The score so far (Health & Fitness)
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 7:57 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:02 am
Posts: 16744
That's a very special and intuitive post you made, Jersey Girl. You nailed both my pathos and ethos. It's also very heart tendery that you shared Walden with us. It's the book I read right before I left for my mission trying to wrap my mind why I would travel to Peru as a 19-year-old for two years, and it was one of the formative books that oriented my entire philosophy regarding life. Where before I was unsure, tentative, and scared about going to Peru into who knew what, I ended up embracing it as an adventure and authentic living. It has served me well over the years.

As an aside his fascination and love for trees has also stayed with me throughout my life. I've planted dozens and dozens trees wherever I've gone, to include 19 on my property here in Salt Lake City. When I'm hiking they seem to demand my attention, and it's not rare where I, like Thoreau, want to climb up into the trees when the wind is blowing and swish and swash among the branches.

- Doc


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: The score so far (Health & Fitness)
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 8:44 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:16 pm
Posts: 29210
Location: Off the Deep End
Then I guess I didn't fail. :-)

I hope your trip is the hardest, sweatiest, most inspiring, grounding, centering, and glorious best thing you ever did.

Until the next best thing comes along!

;-)

_________________
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb


Stay close to the people who feel like sunlight ~ Arsu Shaikh


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: The score so far (Health & Fitness)
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 9:59 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:16 pm
Posts: 29210
Location: Off the Deep End
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appalachian_Trail

What part of the trail are you and Mrs. Cam doing? Or are you doing the whole thing?

_________________
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb


Stay close to the people who feel like sunlight ~ Arsu Shaikh


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: The score so far (Health & Fitness)
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 8:12 am 
God
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:02 am
Posts: 16744
We're picking up where we left off in 2015 at Harpers Ferry. The plan is to make it to Katahdin (~1200 miles), and then possibly SOBO the Shenandoah (we canoed that, or what they call 'blue blazing'). My wife just finished her Associates and will be taking the Fall semester off so we can do this, which is nice.

- Doc


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: The score so far (Health & Fitness)
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 10:51 am 
God
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:16 pm
Posts: 29210
Location: Off the Deep End
I'm so incredibly jealous and yet excited for you both. Isn't it wonderful to have the freedom that you have now? We have that same kind of freedom but service related disabilities get in the way of some things. So...I'll be off to the UK with my sis in late summer/early fall. It's a little "heritage" trip. Going to where our G-G'ma came from. See the family castle--actually Night Lion's family castle, too. We're really related. No joke.

I looked at the trail map. You'll be going through Jersey. I joke a lot about Newark here on the board, but there are parts of Jersey that are damn beautiful and you guys are going through there. Delaware Water Gap up through High Point? I don't think you'll be disappointed, the woods are impressive up there--or at least I think so.

Carpe Diem Dr. and Mrs. Cam!

_________________
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb


Stay close to the people who feel like sunlight ~ Arsu Shaikh


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: The score so far (Health & Fitness)
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 9:35 am 
God
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:02 am
Posts: 16744
Taking a rest day in Waynesboro. Some quick thoughts on this thing I'm doing:

- Three years later I've found that aging has gifted me the ability to calm the ____ down about logging miles. My first time around in 2015 my wife and I didn't take a rest day until 30 days in and it caused major issues for me about a month later. We're averaging 10-12 miles a day versus 15-20 right out of the gate. It's a big difference for our feet, knees, and connective tissues. Still, though. It's tough!

- Anyone who believes losing weight isn't directly tied to burning more calories than you take in is crazy. I've ran a deficit of nearly 2,000 calories a day and in five days I can feel my belt loosen up a bit, and my t-shirt hang just a bit better. Walking ~60 miles in 5 days is a great start to getting back to where I want to be.

- I'm reminded of how important just moving around a lot is for our mental and emotional health. For anyone out there struggling with anxiety, depression, or something related I hope you supplement your medication and therapy with exercise and physical activity. While I can't speak to mental health issues on a personal level I can tell you my self-talk and thinking has taken on a positive aspect, and from what I've read a lot of people who navigate mental health issues really benefit from movement. It's hard, moving around, but it pays off at night when you go to bed happy.

- Holy ____ there's a lot of morbidly obese people in Waynesboro. 25 years ago doctors were warning us about an oncoming obesity epidemic. It's ____ ing here. I don't know how this gets solved, but I'm seeing too many waddling buttcracks and waist-level teats around here. This is going to get an OOM more expensive pretty soon to treat.

- Maryland was beautiful. We hitched a ride into Boonesboro and a local gave us a tour of the Antietam cemetary and battlefield. I'm humbled by some of the kindnesses shown us by locals over the last five days. Salt of the earth, and I'll pay their goodness forward IRL. Not on the Internet, though. Imma continue to be a dick on the Internet. :D

- Doc


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: The score so far (Health & Fitness)
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 11:33 am 
God
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:16 pm
Posts: 29210
Location: Off the Deep End
Holy cats! I'm so happy that you posted about the trip!

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Taking a rest day in Waynesboro. Some quick thoughts on this thing I'm doing:

- Three years later I've found that aging has gifted me the ability to calm the ____ down about logging miles. My first time around in 2015 my wife and I didn't take a rest day until 30 days in and it caused major issues for me about a month later. We're averaging 10-12 miles a day versus 15-20 right out of the gate. It's a big difference for our feet, knees, and connective tissues. Still, though. It's tough!


I think aging forces you to learn to be reasonable, be more present, and enjoy the experience. I know this has been true for me. It doesn't have to be a race. Why make the journey if you don't take time to appreciate it? Plus if you guys are taking breaks, you are ensuring that you'll meet your goal for Maine over the long run. I mean, long hike. ;-)
Quote:
- Anyone who believes losing weight isn't directly tied to burning more calories than you take in is crazy. I've ran a deficit of nearly 2,000 calories a day and in five days I can feel my belt loosen up a bit, and my t-shirt hang just a bit better. Walking ~60 miles in 5 days is a great start to getting back to where I want to be.


60 miles in 5 days...AHmazing! I can't even imagine it!

Quote:
- I'm reminded of how important just moving around a lot is for our mental and emotional health. For anyone out there struggling with anxiety, depression, or something related I hope you supplement your medication and therapy with exercise and physical activity. While I can't speak to mental health issues on a personal level I can tell you my self-talk and thinking has taken on a positive aspect, and from what I've read a lot of people who navigate mental health issues really benefit from movement. It's hard, moving around, but it pays off at night when you go to bed happy.


There are two reasons that I envy what you guys are doing. One is all the beautiful natural places you'll pass through, the woods and all. The other is exactly what you said about improved mental health and self talk. I've come to realize that since last June when my heart flipped out, that my inner dialogue has started to change and I am pushing back at it. It's not a huge mess of negative, but I recognize that it's changed somewhat. I push back at it by challenging myself--so kind of like what you guys are doing.

Being outdoors, stripping "living" down to the basics, and relying on your body as your primary means of autonomy, is like Miracle Gro for personal growth, self confidence, and a sense of self satisfaction.
Quote:
- Holy ____ there's a lot of morbidly obese people in Waynesboro. 25 years ago doctors were warning us about an oncoming obesity epidemic. It's ____ ing here. I don't know how this gets solved, but I'm seeing too many waddling buttcracks and waist-level teats around here. This is going to get an OOM more expensive pretty soon to treat.


At the end of a very long and hot day at Universal/Orlando last December, we were waiting in a long line of hot/sweaty people waiting for hotel buses to pick us up. When I looked back over the line of people I noticed how horribly obese so many of them were. One morbidly obese man and his morbidly obese wife, were stuffing donuts in their faces while standing in line!

Think too many Americans are anesthetizing themselves with food. It's the one legal and socially l acceptable drug you can get in every single state, easily accessible--it's everywhere!

Quote:
- Maryland was beautiful. We hitched a ride into Boonesboro and a local gave us a tour of the Antietam cemetary and battlefield. I'm humbled by some of the kindnesses shown us by locals over the last five days.


I can picture the simplicity of this experience in my mind. Stopping along the way just to see something new and a stranger lending a hand by giving you a friendly ride. Folks back East aren't all jerks. ;-)

Quote:
Salt of the earth, and I'll pay their goodness forward IRL. Not on the Internet, though. Imma continue to be a dick on the Internet. :D

- Doc


Well that's the best part of you being here! :lol:

I'm a little concerned that when you guys return back home, you'll search for that cabin in the woods and go compeletly off grid.

Nah, I bet you'll take your lessons learned and transfer them into your life with the backyard chickens.

Please, please, if you have time, will you tell me your impressions of what you see in Jersey? It's not going to be the Newark or Shore that I write about. You know, there's a highway I take up North Jersey that runs through an urban area and if you follow it, you run out of that area and suddenly realize that everything about the landscape has changed to rocky cliffs and woods. That's like where you are headed.

And the sight of the Delaware River while driving the winding road alongside it is one of my favorite sights on earth.

Enjoy every mile you make together!

_________________
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb


Stay close to the people who feel like sunlight ~ Arsu Shaikh


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: The score so far (Health & Fitness)
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 11:36 am 
God
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:16 pm
Posts: 29210
Location: Off the Deep End
Questions when and if you have time to answer.

Are you overnighting in the shelters or are you tenting, or both?

How are you getting food? Are you cooking or doing dry food packs? Are there water pumps along the way? Near the shelters or what?

As the days turn more hot and humid, will you switch to night hiking?

_________________
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb


Stay close to the people who feel like sunlight ~ Arsu Shaikh


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: The score so far (Health & Fitness)
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 3:26 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:02 am
Posts: 16744
Jersey Girl wrote:
Questions when and if you have time to answer.

Are you overnighting in the shelters or are you tenting, or both?

Both. Kind of. In some cases you have to be in a shelter, but they're terrible for rest. Noisy. Hard. Mice. People. Tenting is where it's at.

How are you getting food? Are you cooking or doing dry food packs? Are there water pumps along the way? Near the shelters or what?

We just re-supply every 4 or 5 days. The AT is awesome because the trail either runs through a town or it's a short ride away. Water is usually retrieved from a creek or spring and you filter it out for cooking and drinking.You typically want to pack dry food since it's lighter. The difference 7 lbs on your back is huge especially hiking over rocks or going up a steep ascent.

As the days turn more hot and humid, will you switch to night hiking?

I can't imagine night hiking on this trail. I bit it my 2nd day out, we're talking full face plant on a jaggedly rocky path while descending. I'm very, very, very fortunate I didn't break something, but I was bloodied up pretty good. I'm just now getting over my soreness and impaired range of motion. You can take 20,000-40,000 steps every day on this trail and any given step, no joke, is a potential twisted ankle or fall.


- Doc


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 386 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 19  Next

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Revival Theme By Brandon Designs By B.Design-Studio © 2007-2008 Brandon
Revival Theme Based off SubLite By Echo © 2007-2008 Echo
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group