The bishop, and new years eve

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Mephitus
_Emeritus

The bishop, and new years eve

Post by _Mephitus »

I think this will make an amusing post/story.

About a month ago, i finaly remembered to send in my "resignation letter" to finalize my exit from Mormonism. On New Years Eve, about 9:00pm, the bishop and stake president of the ward i aparently live in came un-announced to my door. Which to me, just smacked of Mormonism and the COMPLETE lack of respect or politeness they could have shown by actualy attempting to schedule a time to meet.

I was not feeling at my peak, and so i had been sleeping when they came otherwise i would have been more coherent. But they claimed that before they could send my letter BACk to member records (mind you i sent it directly to records first as per www.mormonnomore.com) they needed to send in a reasoning for my resignation and to talk with me that i understood the "consiquences" of my decision.

I wish i had been more "on my game" or i would have made a better argument, but the one i put forth made a reaction that was satisfying enough. I told them that the church was not what it claimed and that it had a history of lying to members about its history. I used the same style of wording and argument from www.thechurchisnottrue.com podcast about Joseph Smith lying about his polygamy to members and non-members alike before the "prophecy".

Most of you by now could guess what they attempted to do. that's right, they attempted to discredit my sources and the way in which i was interpreting them. So citing a few VERY credible sources that fell very neatly within what members are told they should read. They got an expression on their faces to what i could say was "white in the face" and then quickly excused themselves, wishing me a happy new year.

Makes me laugh every time i remember.
One nice thing is, ze game of love is never called on account of darkness - Pepe Le Pew
_harmony
_Emeritus

Re: The bishop, and new years eve

Post by _harmony »

that's right, they attempted to discredit my sources and the way in which i was interpreting them. So citing a few VERY credible sources that fell very neatly within what members are told they should read. They got an expression on their faces to what i could say was "white in the face" and then quickly excused themselves, wishing me a happy new year.

Makes me laugh every time i remember.

Now that is very odd. These two men who you did not know told you they needed to talk to you about your reason for leaving (which is none of their business in the first place, and that they'd visit without making an appointment ahead of time is very rude to boot). When you gave them your reason, they tried to debate you? Seems to me like they should have simply written down your reason in the space provided and skipped right to the next part, which it sounds like they never got around to at all, the making sure you understand what removing your name means. They then could have skipped straight to wishing you a happy new year. That they tried to debate or dissuade you makes no sense. Convincing you of an error on your part was not their task.

How odd. Or maybe I should say, how typical.