Church Liability Insurance

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

I don't know how old silentkid's mother is, but a broken hip is a serious injury from which some people never recover. She could be in a wheelchair or bedridden for the rest of her life. If this accident was caused by negligence, then she is entitled to damages, including wages for the rest of her working years, especially if she is the sole support of her family.

The church has deep pockets. I see no reason to step back and live in pain and poverty for the rest of her life, when the church is able and should be anxious to pay their obligations. If it takes the press to apply pressure to the church in order to get them to see their obligation, then take it to the press. There is no excuse for this kind of stonewalling.

One more time: open the damn books! Pay someone to maintain the outside of the buildings.
_silentkid
_Emeritus

Post by _silentkid »

Thanks for the information, Rollo. I'll pass that on to my dad. From what he told me on the phone last night, after speaking with the stake president, the church has a way of dealing with these types of liability issues. My dad has been documenting everything and is willing to get a lawyer if necessary.

Gaz: My parents are not liberal (though they are both originally from California...sueing people must run in the blood) but they understand basic liability. I was going to say "Welcome to the nineties", but that phrase was overused and worn out in its time and welcome to the oughts doesn't sound quite right. Had this happened at Wal-Mart would you have the same problem with taking legal action?

Harmony: My mom is 59. The surgery went well. They ended up putting in three pins. She can move with a walker and may be up on crutches as soon as tomorrow. The main complication from this point on (besides pain and immobility) is possible necrosis of the ball joint. If that occurs, she will have to undergo a half hip replacement. There is about a year window in which this may happen.
_Yoda

Post by _Yoda »

My mom is 59. The surgery went well. They ended up putting in three pins. She can move with a walker and may be up on crutches as soon as tomorrow. The main complication from this point on (besides pain and immobility) is possible necrosis of the ball joint. If that occurs, she will have to undergo a half hip replacement. There is about a year window in which this may happen.

Yikes, Silentkid! I'm glad the surgery went well. It sounds like your Mom has a long road to recovery, though. Does she have some extended sick time or disability through her work that can help her out in the short run? I'll keep her in my prayers.
_silentkid
_Emeritus

Post by _silentkid »

She has some vacation and sick leave hours that she can use. We're also checking to see if she has some sort of short-term disability coverage. Thanks for your prayers.