Update on fired BYU prof., Jeffrey Nielsen ...

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Rollo Tomasi
_Emeritus

Update on fired BYU prof., Jeffrey Nielsen ...

Post by _Rollo Tomasi »

See link below for article in today's Trib about Jeffrey Nielsen, the BYU prof. who was fired last year after writing a "letter to the editor" criticizing the LDS Church's stand on gay marriage, among other things. Sounds like he's doing well. I admire him for his courage and wish him all the best.

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_4969940?source=rv
"Moving beyond apologist persuasion, LDS polemicists furiously (and often fraudulently) attack any non-traditional view of Mormonism. They don't mince words -- they mince the truth."

-- Mike Quinn, writing of the FARMSboys, in "Early Mormonism and the Magic World View," p. x (Rev. ed. 1998)
_Yoda

Post by _Yoda »

Ironically, I'm sure that Professor Neilson is getting paid better working for UVSC and Westminster.

BYU's salaries tend to be on the low end. It probably worked out to be a better deal for him financially in the long run.
_Who Knows
_Emeritus

Post by _Who Knows »

liz3564 wrote:Ironically, I'm sure that Professor Neilson is getting paid better working for UVSC and Westminster.

BYU's salaries tend to be on the low end. It probably worked out to be a better deal for him financially in the long run.

Especially if he decides to give himself a 10% raise. ;)
WK: "Joseph Smith asserted that the Book of Mormon peoples were the original inhabitants of the americas"
Will Schryver: "No, he didn’t." 3/19/08
Still waiting for Will to back this up...
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Thank you for posting this Rollo. I have been concern for Jeffery Nielsen since his firing. I am so glad he is doing well. This reaffirms my thinking that the LDS folks on the local level can be much more kind than many on the net. It must he a liberating experience for Nielsen to teach in environments were he is able to voice his opinion.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_MormonMendacity
_Emeritus

Re: Update on fired BYU prof., Jeffrey Nielsen ...

Post by _MormonMendacity »

Rollo Tomasi wrote:See link below for article in today's Trib about Jeffrey Nielsen, the BYU prof. who was fired last year after writing a "letter to the editor" criticizing the LDS Church's stand on gay marriage, among other things. Sounds like he's doing well. I admire him for his courage and wish him all the best.

Thanks. I loved his editorial and thanks for posting the link.

Some had called in letters to the editor for additional BYU profs to back him publicly. Does anyone know if anything came of that?
"Suppose we've chosen the wrong god. Every time we go to church we're just making him madder and madder" --Homer Simpson's version of Pascal's Wager
Religion began when the first scoundrel met the first fool.
Religion is ignorance reduced to a system.
_OUT OF MY MISERY
_Emeritus

Post by _OUT OF MY MISERY »

Thanks Rollo

That is mighty interesting and also to bad....another case of Shut Up and Sing...

now this is a Mormon i will defend....seems to me he deserves it....

Sadly though once again you are not allowed to be an intellectual when it comes to certain issues within church controlled organizations....
When I wake up I will be hungry....but this feels so good right now aaahhhhhh........
_Roger Morrison
_Emeritus

Re: Update on fired BYU prof., Jeffrey Nielsen ...

Post by _Roger Morrison »

Rollo Tomasi wrote:See link below for article in today's Trib about Jeffrey Nielsen, the BYU prof. who was fired last year after writing a "letter to the editor" criticizing the LDS Church's stand on gay marriage, among other things. Sounds like he's doing well. I admire him for his courage and wish him all the best.

Thanks Rollo, an ironic confirmation of the LDS hymn, "...do what's right you have no need to fear..."

What is even more encouraging than his Gay-rights stand, is Jeff's new political activism. His grass-roots, basement discussions are much needed to correct the misconceptions and misappropriations of Democracy. Very similar to my early morning reading about Solon's 594BC efforts in Athens to level the balance of power between the farmers and the aristocracy then and there.

Gotta be done here and now! Like it says: "...as well might man stretch forth his puny arm to stop the Missouri river than to hinder God from pouring down knowledge..." It's being received as always, by the nonconforming and courageous!! "Praise "God"!" Roger