Editorial Review at FARMS: New information Comes to Light

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Ray A

Post by _Ray A »

By the way, I don't disagree that one needs to have a testimony to see evidences in the Book of Mormon. The question one needs to examine is whether those "spiritually perceived" evidences can really stand the test. Apparently, this formula doesn't work for Ray and Deanne Matheny (Mormons).

From another BYU News Net article (1999) http://www.rickross.com/reference/Mormon/mormon33.html :

Yet in 1993 Matheny's wife, Deanne G. Matheny, also a Mesoamerican anthropologist, echoed her husband's remarks in an essay entitled "Does the Shoe Fit? A Critique of the Limited Tehuantepec Geography." In taking Sorenson's elaborate apologetics to task, she wrote, "There are too many areas where one must either assume that evidence exists but has not yet been found or that something other than the words actually used [in the Book of Mormon] were intended . . . . Too much sidestepping of this sort can lead to the absurd."

In this same article, Dr. Clark is reported as saying:

"Look," Clark finally said, "I'm just trying to be a professional archaeologist. To me, the Book of Mormon has the feel of an ancient document, and any problems are problems of translation. I believe it did happen someplace. I just don't know where. But I, for one, can live with the uncertainty." [Emphasis added]
_beastie
_Emeritus

Post by _beastie »

You mean you were using the term "incestuous" in a figurative sense?

Imagine that!

Imagine that someone might use a term that, if taken in its more literal sense, would certainly be considered ... well ... vulgar, but which, if viewed in a figurative sense, should rightfully be interpreted in an entirely different light.

What a novel concept!

I was using "incestuous" to mean exactly what the dictionary says it means. You know, like the word "intercourse" can be the sexual act or conversation. It's not a figurative use of the word. It's the actual meaning of the word.

If I wanted to use sexual terms "figuratively", I would talk about how the FARMs apologists like to give each other blow jobs in their self-congratulatory work. Using incestuous in the sense I did is not vulgar, but the blow job phrase would be vulgar. I'm just illustrating the difference between using a word that has a clearly defined meaning and using sexually explicit figurative language.

You're a vulgar person, Will. Whether or not that is problematic is an individual decision, but there is no doubt you are vulgar.
We hate to seem like we don’t trust every nut with a story, but there’s evidence we can point to, and dance while shouting taunting phrases.

Penn & Teller

http://www.mormonmesoamerica.com
_William Schryver
_Emeritus

Post by _William Schryver »

beastie wrote:
You mean you were using the term "incestuous" in a figurative sense?

Imagine that!

Imagine that someone might use a term that, if taken in its more literal sense, would certainly be considered ... well ... vulgar, but which, if viewed in a figurative sense, should rightfully be interpreted in an entirely different light.

What a novel concept!

I was using "incestuous" to mean exactly what the dictionary says it means. You know, like the word "intercourse" can be the sexual act or conversation. It's not a figurative use of the word. It's the actual meaning of the word.

If I wanted to use sexual terms "figuratively", I would talk about how the FARMs apologists like to give each other blow jobs in their self-congratulatory work. Using incestuous in the sense I did is not vulgar, but the blow job phrase would be vulgar. I'm just illustrating the difference between using a word that has a clearly defined meaning and using sexually explicit figurative language.

You're a vulgar person, Will. Whether or not that is problematic is an individual decision, but there is no doubt you are vulgar.

Yes, yes, yes. So we've heard.

But as long as we're offering dictionary definitions of popularly-used terms here in the GSTP™, here are mine:

(from http://www.merriam-webster.com/ )

whore
3: a venal or unscrupulous person

slut
1: a slovenly woman

circle jerk
(See here: http://encyclopediadramatica.com/Circle_jerk )

Circle jerks (In Real Life)

In real life, a circle jerk is a sex act consisting of three or more 13 year old boys masturbating each other in a circle. A staple of Boy Scout Jamborees, and junior high Dungeons & Dragons sleep-overs, a circle jerk is not even a little bit gay. Nope, not at all.

Circle jerks (On the Internet)

Online, a circle jerk is a bizarre internet ritual which involves 13 year old boys gathering on BBS, AOL, and chat to banter with fervour about their particular fandom. When witnessing a circle jerk an outsider should not provoke the fanboys with dissident views as it is akin to instigating a shark feeding frenzy.

An example of a circle jerk can be seen in the comments section of any Linux articles submitted to Slashdot.

Circle Jerk (Urban Dictionary)
(See here: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... circlejerk )

1. circlejerk

To kneel in a circle with others and pleasure oneself.

Also refers to a pompous, self-congratulatory discussion where little to no progress is made.

1. "I just walked in on a circlejerk yesterday; it was terrible!"
2. "Did you catch that board meeting? Man, what a circlejerk!"

I hope you and your incestuous, whorish, slutish, circle-jerking clan have a wonderful weekend.
... every man walketh in his own way, and after the image of his own god, whose image is in the likeness of the world, and whose substance is that of an idol ...
_NorthboundZax
_Emeritus

Post by _NorthboundZax »

William Schryver wrote:I hope you and your incestuous, whorish, slutish, circle-jerking clan have a wonderful weekend.

Will is, hands down, one of the most arrogant, self-loving, and certainly the most vulgar, LDS apologist I've seen badger the Interwebs. Which is to say, if Schryver truly embodies the Restored Gospel, I want absolutely nothing to do with it.

- Celestial Kingdom Salmon, MDB, 06/04/2008

Why even bother with the sig line?
_TrashcanMan79
_Emeritus

Post by _TrashcanMan79 »

William Schryver wrote:I hope you and your incestuous, whorish, slutish, circle-jerking clan have a wonderful weekend.
LOL

You said "whorish" and it totally reminded me of that scene in Anchorman when Ron and Veronica are insulting each other at the news desk while the credits and music roll:

Ron: You are a real hooker, and I'm gonna slap you in public.

Veronica: You have way too much pubic hair.

Ron: Actually, that's a point of pride. I'm very proud of my mane of pubic hair, so thank you.

Veronica: You have man boobs.

Ron: You've got a dirty, whorish mouth. I'm gonna punch you in the ovary. A straight shot.

Veronica: Ooh, ow.

Ron: Right to the baby-maker.

Veronica: Ah, jazz flute is for little fairy boys.

Ron: Okay, you know what? That's uncalled for. I can't work with this woman. It's terrible.

Classic!
_William Schryver
_Emeritus

NorthboundZax wrote:

Will is, hands down, one of the most arrogant, self-loving, and certainly the most vulgar, LDS apologist I've seen badger the Interwebs. Which is to say, if Schryver truly embodies the Restored Gospel, I want absolutely nothing to do with it.

- Celestial Kingdom Salmon, MDB, 06/04/2008

Why even bother with the sig line?

Did you even read my post?

What a sheep you are. Join the revels in the CJS immediately. You definitely belong.
... every man walketh in his own way, and after the image of his own god, whose image is in the likeness of the world, and whose substance is that of an idol ...
_William Schryver
_Emeritus

TrashcanMan79 wrote:
LOL

You said "whorish" and it totally reminded me of that scene in Anchorman when Ron and Veronica are insulting each other at the news desk while the credits and music roll:

Ron: You are a real hooker, and I'm gonna slap you in public.

Veronica: You have way too much pubic hair.

Ron: Actually, that's a point of pride. I'm very proud of my mane of pubic hair, so thank you.

Veronica: You have man boobs.

Ron: You've got a dirty, whorish mouth. I'm gonna punch you in the ovary. A straight shot.

Veronica: Ooh, ow.

Ron: Right to the baby-maker.

Veronica: Ah, jazz flute is for little fairy boys.

Ron: Okay, you know what? That's uncalled for. I can't work with this woman. It's terrible.

Classic!

If I laughed -- I mean, really laughed -- at that, does it mean I'm ... vulgar?

In any case, I fully embrace my "vulgarity" in the most literal sense of the word:

vulgar

of or relating to the common people
_Chap
_Emeritus

Post by _Chap »

This teaching came to you by courtesy of the Restored Melchizedek Priesthood, which Brother Schryver holds.

Let us receive these messages prayerfully, remembering the conclusion of the June Home Teaching message:

Safety in Counsel

By President Henry B. Eyring

We are blessed to live in a time when the priesthood keys are on the earth. We are blessed to know where to look and how to listen for the voice that will fulfill the promise of the Lord that He will gather us to safety. I pray that we will have humble hearts, that we will listen, that we will pray, and that we will wait for the deliverance of the Lord that is sure to come as we are faithful.

In listening to Brother Schryver, we can be sure that we hear Heavenly Father's voice.

Amen.
_Doctor Steuss
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Steuss »

Chap wrote:[...]
In listening to Brother Schryver, we can be sure that we hear Heavenly Father's voice.

Amen.

I "heart" the Old Testament.
"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead." ~Charles Bukowski
_beastie
_Emeritus

Post by _beastie »

I hope you and your incestuous, whorish, slutish, circle-jerking clan have a wonderful weekend.

Dear Lord,

Save me from your believers.

Sincerely,
Beastie
We hate to seem like we don’t trust every nut with a story, but there’s evidence we can point to, and dance while shouting taunting phrases.

Penn & Teller

http://www.mormonmesoamerica.com