Jesus is a Mormon

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_rcrocket

Post by _rcrocket »

GIMR wrote:The questions I asked you with regards to the Bible are important, because in order to know the Bible you need to have more than a cursory understanding. Plenty of people memorize scriptures that they don't even know the true meaning of. Misinterpretation is a big problem. . . . The octegenarians in SLC ain't having tea with Christ. They are taking their perceptions on what the world should be, forging Jesus' signature, and making you poor people swallow it. And that's not fair.

But, are you convicted of your guilt and confess the Lord Jesus as the mediator between God and man? I mean, how literal do you take the scriptures?

If Mormonism ain't your bag, do you at least confess Christ?

P
_Enuma Elish
_Emeritus

Post by _Enuma Elish »

Another classic illustration of Misery's unique gift to send me to the floor rolling with laughter:

I know what Harmony was doing....I am glad she is saying this and making MEN think...Hopefully Harmony can accomplish this...She can hold her own...I would be so hurt if I was Jewish...I know too many Jewish people...and it justs hurts me to hear that.....

I share your pain because so many, many Jewish people are so very, very concerned with maintaining a connection with Jesus.
_Sam Harris
_Emeritus

Post by _Sam Harris »

Plutarch, yes. I do confess Christ. Like I told Jason, my reasons are very personal, and not really fit for a forum such as this. For me, it was a life/death matter. I am not here due to my own will or ingenuity, I am here because someone wants me here, the pattern of my days is such that I now see a purpose for being, for having endured all that I have, and it extends beyond me, possibly to the edification of those who have been where I have. I am not comfortable telling such a story in a forum where some people would most likely spit on it because I'm no longer LDS. I believe Christ to be the key to MY salvation, at this point I cannot tell another about theirs. I am not out to convert others by mere words. I live my life as best I know how, and those who know me know I believe in Christ. I let them ask me what I wish to.

My thoughts on the Bible do not appeal to the fundamentalist. And as I was going to tell Jason in the new thread, mere reading of scripture will lead to misinterpretation. True study is best. You need to know how the books got here, the reasons behind their writing, when they conjectured to have been written would help, and a knowledge of where the books as a whole are going helps as well.

Mormonism may not be my "thing", but that is only because of church hierarchy and where they have led the church. I don't like a middle man between me and God, and on some issues, I'd like to talk to someone who knows me, and a woman if I can. Some bishop who doesn't know me from Adam ain't really my cup of tea. Having to repent to a man what I cleared up with God (the whole "past sins" thing) I don't like either. Not to mention the troubles I encountered as a woman of color. Most Mormons are good trusting folk. Some of them are culturally ignorant, but I could not change that. People tried to get me to stay and be this great big activist, but the church is bigger than me, and if they're not listening to folks like Darron Smith, they ain't gonna hear me. That's one of the biggest reasons why I left, I couldn't change the situation, and why stay where you're not appreciated for the daughter of God that you are? Mormons as a people I have no problem with. If you want to become Mormon, do your homework, as you should with Mainstream Christianity (my church asks you do this before joining, it's called Membership 101, and in it you learn what we believe as a body, and are given the choice to align yourself with us or not...we don't pressure). I do my homework every day, it's my major.

I'm one of those funny liberals, you know, those heathen, sleep-with-everything types, who think God is smart enough to look into the hearts of men, rather than just their denomination.
Each one has to find his peace from within. And peace to be real must be unaffected by outside circumstances. -Ghandi