Oaks - his Americentricism and his hypocrisy on racism

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Oaks - his Americentricism and his hypocrisy on racism

Post by _I have a question »

This was how he closed his General Conference talk supposedly for a worldwide audience...
Knowing that we are all children of God gives us a divine vision of the worth of all others and the will and ability to rise above prejudice and racism. As I have lived for many years in different places in this nation, the Lord has taught me that it is possible to obey and seek to improve our nation’s laws and also to love our adversaries and our enemies. While not easy, it is possible with the help of our Lord, Jesus Christ. He gave this command to love, and He promises His help as we seek to obey it. I testify that we are loved and will be helped by our Heavenly Father and His Son, Jesus Christ. In the name of Jesus Christ, amen.
https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/stu ... s?lang=eng

His whole talk is littered with Americentricism.
One reason the recent protests in the United States were shocking to so many was that the hostilities and illegalities felt among different ethnicities in other nations should not be felt in the United States. This country should be better in eliminating racism not only against Black Americans, who were most visible in the recent protests, but also against Latinos, Asians, and other groups. This nation’s history of racism is not a happy one, and we must do better.
What about “this Church’s history of racism”? Should Oaks not have addressed that during a sermon as a leader of the Church? He studiously avoided drawing attention to his own institutions failings and focussed instead on what he thought others should be doing.
“And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?”

This passage is still in the keystone scripture for the Church of the guy who just told his congregation that the USA must do better on matters of racism...
21 And he had caused the cursing to come upon them, yea, even a sore cursing, because of their iniquity. For behold, they had hardened their hearts against him, that they had become like unto a flint; wherefore, as they were white, and exceedingly fair and delightsome, that they might not be enticing unto my people the Lord God did cause a skin of blackness to come upon them.
https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/stu ... 5?lang=eng

The hypocrisy is staggering.

(Number of Black speakers at Conference October 2020 - 0)