Matthew Gong. Son of Apostle Gerrit W. Gong, and gay Mormon.

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_sunstoned
_Emeritus

Matthew Gong. Son of Apostle Gerrit W. Gong, and gay Mormon.

Post by _sunstoned »

Below is a link to a SLTrib article on Matthew Gong, son of Apostle Gerrit W. Gong, and gay Mormon. He reflects on his journey out of Mormonism, including a suicide attempt while at BYU. It is an interesting story.

https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2020/09 ... s-gay-son/
_moksha
_Emeritus

Re: Matthew Gong. Son of Apostle Gerrit W. Gong, and gay Mormon.

Post by _moksha »

The link does not want to work, so just google "Matthew Gong, son of Apostle Gerrit W. Gong".
Though Gong still claims aspects of Mormonism in his spirituality, he has added theistic Taoism, Zen Buddhism, and any parts of a religion “that seem resonant — civility, care, forgiveness, treating humans with dignity and compassion.”
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

I wonder if E. Gong subscribes to the Oaks school and has told his son that he isn't welcome to stay the night with his same sex lover? Apostles can't afford to give out the impression that they support the same sex lifestyle, at least according to Oaks. E. Gong's son probably isn't welcome with his same sex lover at parties where Oaks attends because Oaks probably, again, doesn't want the wrong impression given out to the world.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

I don't know how a parent, a father, could be part of a senior leadership team of an institution that made his son go through that.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Dr Exiled wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:19 am
I wonder if E. Gong subscribes to the Oaks school and has told his son that he isn't welcome to stay the night with his same sex lover? Apostles can't afford to give out the impression that they support the same sex lifestyle, at least according to Oaks. E. Gong's son probably isn't welcome with his same sex lover at parties where Oaks attends because Oaks probably, again, doesn't want the wrong impression given out to the world.
I doubt that Elder Gong subscribes to any of President Oaks' hateful ideas when it comes to his son.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

His is a very affecting story. I can't imagine what it was like to be Matthew. He is a heroic young man in his struggle. I don't see how the LDS Church sticks with its painful teachings of gender, which are so poorly supported in modern LDS scripture.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

moksha wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:58 am
Dr Exiled wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:19 am
I doubt that Elder Gong subscribes to any of President Oaks' hateful ideas when it comes to his son.
He does by association.
_Holy Ghost
_Emeritus

Post by _Holy Ghost »

moksha wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:58 am

I have a question wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:10 pm
He does by association.
Gerritt also sustains Dallin as a prophet, seer and revelator, and as a counselor in the First Presidency. That's a bit stronger than just 'by association.'
"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." Isaac Asimov