Hanna Seariac?????s Blog Offline

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Re: Hanna Seariac’s Blog Offline

Post by _Kishkumen »

Gadianton wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:25 pm
Her platform, at least during moments of reconsideration, is to stand for traditional values but not in a way that disparages anybody. Right there, it's already a contradiction, but I think the bigger problem is that there is no market force that aligns with what she envisions, to the extent that such a vision is viable. The moment she worries, publicly and loudly, about subversive liberalization at BYU, there is pretty much one and only one group ready to get behind that in a re-tweet frenzy.
Ordinarily conservative students at a public university are worried that their conservative views will be held against them. I am sympathetic to those concerns. Honestly, I don't like professors advocating for their personal political views in class, even if the class has to do directly with contemporary politics. The power dynamic of the classroom is such that those who do not see eye to eye with a professor in their politics will feel disadvantaged and self-conscious. To the extent that this does happen at BYU, I think that is unfortunate.

My memory of BYU is the opposite of Hanna's. I recall some professors sharing their extreme right-wing views. I do not so much recall professors advocating left-wing politics. Ralph Hancock, my American Heritage professor, was obviously a conservative, but even he was not so skewed that it made life unbearable. Of course, I was a conservative at the time, so perhaps I was just more comfortable with that. Never did I hear a professor advocate fringe leftist politics or openly criticize the LDS Church.

Here's the thing, though. I can't imagine how bad it would have had to be to motivate me to become some kind of activist against secular, critical, or liberal messages in the classroom. The most liberal thing I encountered at BYU was criticism of Honor Code personal statements and complaints about editing the Rodin exhibit at the art museum. The "liberal" professors were, in my view, very reasonable and rational, and yet they were treated pretty poorly by university administrators in response to their well reasoned views. And remember, I was a Republican at the time.

I am not saying that things have not become more antagonistic between liberal professors and the LDS Church. I think the Church kind of walked right into that one by deciding to get involved in the culture wars. Any student who sides with the Church and university administration against the faculty I view to be kind of a snitch and a collaborator. That is because it is so obvious that the institutional position is pretty far to the other end of the political spectrum, and any professor sharing a contrary view is already taking a huge risk in doing so, and, lacking tenure, is placing themselves in peril. A student snitch is more of a bully, and I don't care if their snitching is of a very general, impersonal kind. They are calling on Church leaders to insert themselves into campus life.

So what kind of "courage" does it take for the Hannas of the world to do this? None. There is no real courage. She is leveraging her sympathy with the institution and its power against its vulnerable internal critics in a way that is entirely in keeping with the traditions of Mopologetics, which championed the views and interests of the Brethren against fellow members and sought the marginalization and discipline of these critics.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

Fence Sitter wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:27 pm
It would be interesting to get Midgely's opinion about the witch hunt Seariac is creating.

No irony there at all.
Since she is on the right side, it's not a witch hunt, it is missionary work... it's spreading the Gospel of love, and truth, and joy, and fulfillment, and eternal family, and prophets, and good things for all, and defense of the faith. This is all good from Midgley's point of view.
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Post by _Gadianton »

"So what kind of "courage" does it take for the Hannas of the world to do this? None. There is no real courage. She is leveraging her sympathy with the institution and its power against its vulnerable internal critics in a way that is entirely in keeping with the traditions of Mopologetics"

she wrote:

"My honest, clear intentions with the petition is that I have observed that many feel as though their University experience has led them to believe that the Church is not true because of their experiences, not with liberal professors, not with "unorthodox" professors, not with learning that Moses did not write Genesis, not with BYU's curriculum that includes evolution as directed by the Q15, not with any of that, but with instances where they felt like the Church was cast down and the doctrine of the Church was contradicted."

What on earth does that mean?

Some random professor "contradicts" the Brethren, and oh crap, a life reared in the faith, four years of seminary and two on a mission are out the window?
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Once people realize that Hanna speaking both parseltongue and being pledged to Slithern House was too much of a coincidence, they will wish she had remained with her embrace of the Alt-Right. Professor Gee is feeding her misleading and slanderous information, eh?

Has Hanna and her partner abandoned their doctrinal purge of moderate and liberal BYU professors? That reeked of Spanish Inquisition/Ernest Wilkinson mentality. Can't imagine any but the most entrenched apologists wanting to get mired in that manure.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

she wrote:

"My honest, clear intentions with the petition is that I have observed that many feel as though their University experience has led them to believe that the Church is not true because of their experiences, not with liberal professors, not with "unorthodox" professors, not with learning that Moses did not write Genesis, not with BYU's curriculum that includes evolution as directed by the Q15, not with any of that, but with instances where they felt like the Church was cast down and the doctrine of the Church was contradicted."

What on earth does that mean?
That’s clumsy sophistry on her part. If her intentions were “clearly” to call out “instances” in which the Church was allegedly criticized, then my current signature would not exist. She came to understand that many people did not see those intentions she claims now; instead they perceived her to be a student raising the signal flag to call authorities down on professors. Instances? Please. All of these instances just happen to involve professors saying challenging or critical things? And where is the evidence?

No, it is pretty clearly a case of student intimidation of professors. It’s very sad. Especially since conservative students on the campuses of secular universities marvel at their perception that professors are quaking in their boots at SJW student snitches accusing them of saying the wrong thing. Truth is, those professors are anxious about being perceived as having said something offensive.

So Hanna and her squad want to simulate that professorial anxiety in the other direction? “Hey! Why should we be left out? Our professors need a taste of this medicine too! Let’s all turn informant and have our liberal profs quaking in their boots! Why should SJWs have all the fun?”

More evidence of the crazy world the campus has become. Honestly, we Cassius faculty and staff have really dodged the bullet here. An oasis in a mad, mad world.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Aristotle Smith
_Emeritus

Post by _Aristotle Smith »

It wasn't the most thorough editing job. The "About Me" reads:
I am Hanna Seariac and welcome to my blog: Bible and Brigham Based.
Don't feel bad Hannah. Joseph Smith also forgot that King Benjamin had died, but then had him alive later in Mosiah. He also got bored removing the modalism from the Book of Mormon and kind of gave up on that. And he couldn't quite remember what happened just prior to King Benjamin so he just put in filler we call Enos, Jarom, Omni, and the Words of Mormon. Editing is hard.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Aristotle Smith wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:25 pm
Don't feel bad Hannah. Joseph Smith also forgot that King Benjamin had died, but then had him alive later in Mosiah. He also got bored removing the modalism from the Book of Mormon and kind of gave up on that. And he couldn't quite remember what happened just prior to King Benjamin so he just put in filler we call Enos, Jarom, Omni, and the Words of Mormon. Editing is hard.
Well, studying Greek, Hebrew, Latin, Coptic, and Mayan is a demanding set of tasks.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

If nothing else, those so-called "unorthodox and liberal professors" will now experience fear and loathing when they hear the words FAIRMormon. They have been put on high alert by the true successors to the apostate Maxwell Institute: conform to apologetic principles or be tried by the high court of FAIRMormon.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

moksha wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:37 am
If nothing else, those so-called "unorthodox and liberal professors" will now experience fear and loathing when they hear the words FAIRMormon. They have been put on high alert by the true successors to the apostate Maxwell Institute: conform to apologetic principles or be tried by the high court of FAIRMormon.
FAIRMormon has a couple of advantages that FARMS lost— plausible independence from the leadership and no academic restraints.