With a friend like Rappleye

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Dr Moore
_Emeritus

With a friend like Rappleye

Post by _Dr Moore »

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/m ... 0491724650

Starting at minute 13:00 Neal shares with Seariac about his start as a full time employee at BOMC. It’s sort of a nice kismet story about hanging around the rim long enough to get a lucky shot.

And then strangely he also lays out the sad story of his good friend, younger Smoot. Smoot, says Rappleye, was homeless and could not find a job after graduating. He was living on the couch of Neal’s parents and was about to move home to live with his own parents, evidently lacking any prospects. Embarrassingly sad but for the miraculous timing of Rappleye mercifully bringing Smoot aboard at BOMC as well. Neal leaves the listener with the impression that without him and his fortunately timed hiring as a full time paid Mopologist, and his charitable bringing of Smoot along in a sort of BOMC downline, that Smoot might still be living in his parent’s home, jobless.

What a way to bill his friend, and perhaps even more so what an inadvertent dispelling of any notions that BOMC might be a place where the A players play. Double ouch!
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Re: With a friend like Rappleye

Post by _Kishkumen »

I am just happy Young Smoot has employment. He is a sharp young fellow who should do very well. I would guess that people generally understand how tricky the job market is right now. Still, Neal probably ought to have kept that one under his hat.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_consiglieri
_Emeritus

Post by _consiglieri »

. . . who needs enemas?
You prove yourself of the devil and anti-mormon every word you utter, because only the devil perverts facts to make their case.--ldsfaqs (6-24-13)
_Dr Moore
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Moore »

I have just a few exposures to Smoot through his online presentations and comments. He strikes me as the sort of person who at one point may have looked impressive on paper, but to an interviewer would have been immediately detected as interpersonally disastrous. He has shown himself quick to insult, whether directly or through his sophomoric air of superiority, and he doesn’t appear self aware enough to learn from his mistakes. Maybe no one in Mopologetics has the heart to give him the kinds of “hard talks” that one would expect in professionally managed organizations. It’s possible time has worn his edges down a bit, like a very late bloomer, but now he’s got an online wake of immaturity and insensitivity a mile long. I feel bad for him — Mopologetics has wrecked whatever chance Smoot may have once had at maturing into an adult as socially high functioning as he is intelligent.
_Doctor Scratch
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Scratch »

Very interesting! Just in the past week or so, Dr. Peterson was ragging on Jonathan Neville (allegedly), saying something along the lines of, "I understand that one of you Heartlanders makes a full-time living doing what you do!" And yet here are *both* Smoot and Rappleye, working full-time for BoMC? What gives? This level of hypocrisy is hardcore, even for the Mopologists.
"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
_Dr Moore
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Moore »

It certainly sets up a tricky moral hazard. Like being an in house attorney, defending the hand that feeds. But without the hassle and restrictions of a state bar association.
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

So.........does BOMC actually pay its researchers? Can Smoot make a living working there?!
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_Everybody Wang Chung
_Emeritus

Post by _Everybody Wang Chung »

Stephen Bukkake Smoot is an interesting Mopologist. As far as I’m aware, he’s the first Mopologist to publicity come out as gay.

Coming out of the closet for Bukkake Smoot took a tremendous amount of courage. Especially, knowing that such a disclosure would not endear him to the old guard. I wish Bukkake Smoot well and hope he finds happiness in the Mormon faith. It’s not going to be an easy road for him.
Last edited by Guest on Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:41 am
So.........does BOMC actually pay its researchers? Can Smoot make a living working there?!
As long as a very wealthy religious business corporation provides funding.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

moksha wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:37 am
Philo Sofee wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:41 am
As long as a very wealthy religious business corporation provides funding.

Minute 29:00 liar, liar pants on fire!!!
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace