Tad Callister accidentally makes a perfect analogy with a single image and headline

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Re: Tad Callister accidentally makes a perfect analogy with a single image and headline

Post by _Lemmie »

I have a question wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:09 pm
The Plan of Salvation

The plan of salvation is the divine program that sets out the way to return to God’s presence and become more like Him so we might experience a fulness of joy. It reveals our divine origin and destiny. The author of this plan is God the Father.
https://www.thechurchnews.com/living-fa ... I've-192231

Here he appears to be behind the times (and wrong). The Church has moved to calling it The Plan Of Happiness because everyone achieves Salvation regardless of their religious beliefs or religious sect association. According to Mormon doctrine, salvation doesn't mean returning to God's presence. He's conflating salvation and exaltation.
Omg I though you were just being sarcastic—

The Plan of Happiness
By President Boyd K. Packer
President of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles

_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Re: Tad Callister accidentally makes a perfect analogy with a single image and headline

Post by _Philo Sofee »

Old McElohim had a plan...
EE, I, EE, I, O!
And with this plan came quite the fight,
EE, I, EE, I, O!
With a Peterson Peterson here and a Midgley Midgley there,
Here a Peter, there a Midge, everywhere are blogs and films,
Old McElohim had a plan, EE, I, EE, I, O.........
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

Lemmie wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:45 pm
Omg I though you were just being sarcastic—
Not on this occasion!

When Tad talks about living with Heavenly Father he isn't talking about Salvation. He's being sneaky and talking about exaltation but he doesn't want to be so bold as to tell everyone who reads his article that his Church's doctrine is that only really good Mormons will be returning to live with Heavenly Father.
Those who receive exaltation in the celestial kingdom through faith in Jesus Christ will receive special blessings. The Lord has promised, “All things are theirs” (D&C 76:59). These are some of the blessings given to exalted people:

They will live eternally in the presence of Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ (see D&C 76:62).

They will become gods (see D&C 132:20–23).

They will be united eternally with their righteous family members and will be able to have eternal increase.

They will receive a fulness of joy.

They will have everything that our Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ have—all power, glory, dominion, and knowledge (see D&C 132:19–20). President Joseph Fielding Smith wrote: “The Father has promised through the Son that all that he has shall be given to those who are obedient to His commandments. They shall increase in knowledge, wisdom, and power, going from grace to grace, until the fulness of the perfect day shall burst upon them” (Doctrines of Salvation, comp. Bruce R. McConkie, 3 vols. [1954–56], 2:36; italics in original).
To live eternally with God you can't be Jewish, Protestant, Scientologist, Jedi etc. the doctrine is that the Celestial Kingdom is the only domain where people will live in the presence of Heavenly Father. To gain exaltation to the Celestial Kingdom you have to be Mormon AND married.
The Lord has prescribed requirements for eternal life in the celestial kingdom.

We must receive the testimony of Jesus, be baptized, receive the Holy Ghost, and keep the commandments (see D&C 76:51–52).

We must overcome all things by faith and be sealed by the Holy Spirit of Promise (see D&C 76:53, 60).

We must comply with the new and everlasting covenant of marriage (see D&C 131:1–3).
https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/stu ... n?lang=eng

Tad goes on to convince me he's not quite understanding what he's saying in regards to gospel doctrine.
From one perspective, the interrelationship among these three doctrinal principles might be summarized in chart form as follows:
None of these doctrinal principles {the plan of salvation, the Atonement, the doctrine of Christ} working alone can save us, but when working in harmony, the goal of salvation, even exaltation, is possible.
https://www.thechurchnews.com/living-fa ... I've-192231
Once he's made the distinction between salvation and exaltation he's now contradicting what he said earlier in the piece. He was saying that 'salvation' meant returning and living with Heavenly Father. Now he's differentiated it from 'exaltation', it doesn't mean that. He's all over the place in this article, really reinforcing the priceless nature of the image accompanying the article.