Sic et Non vs. Will Schryver?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Sic et Non vs. Will Schryver?

Post by _Gadianton »

In a strange plot twist within the story of Mopologetics, the blog/discussion board Sic et Non turns out to be at full-scale odds with senior apologist Will Schryver, who hasn't been active in Mopologetics in several years.

On Sic et Non's most recent thread denouncing Covid-19 denial, the ever-earnest independent known as Sledge, drops a bomb:

"Will Schryver, unfortunately buys into these insane conspiracy theories."

Wait, what?

The Proprietor responds in feigned amazement:

"Does he?"

I suppose this isn't the first time the Proprietor hasn't been aware of what Schryver says right under his nose, now is it?

Kiwi57 immediately down-voted Sledge for relaying the message. Really, Kiwi? Why is that Sledge's fault? And then Kiwi continues a defense of Schryver, saying that, people "on both the left and the right" believe in conspiracies. Oh, good point, Kiwi! I guess Will get's a free pass. I guess the stern admonition:

"This is not only wrong, it’s dangerously wrong. If it’s taken as true, it will likely lead many Americans into risky behavior that will kill people — if not themselves, then others around them."

doesn't apply to your good buddy!

Will's Twitter account is here:

https://Twitter.com/imetatronink?ref_sr ... r%5Eauthor

21,000 tweets, and 3,000 followers?! Holy cow!

Perhaps we shouldn't jump the gun, however, and assume anything about Will's position, even though Sledge's conversation with Kiwi and Dan seems to assume one of conspiracy embracing. And so I've combed through several tweets to review for myself. My first impression, is that I find his angle to be quite interesting when contrasted with the typical posting at Sic et Non. Sic et Non explicitly quotes junk sources, such as the National Review, for just about everything, but when it comes to Covid-19, the sources get switched up. However, over on Will's blog, I did not see any outright links to Coronavirus conspiracies like lab engineering and microchips in the nose; or links to junk-science right wing sources that are normally the backbone of Sic et Non (except for the topic of coronavirus).

Will quotes semi-legit or legit sources that out of context and in aggregate, chip away at the narrative "take Covid-19 seriously". Masks aren't as effective as people think. The CDC has made dumb mistakes. There has been cases of miscounting. Testing has gone awry. It's as if, everyone doesn't already realize that our collective response to Covid-19 has been a long string of fail. It's difficult to see exactly what his position is, except for being the mortally opposing message to the message of Sic et Non -- Covid-19 is overrated. This is exactly the kind of message "that will kill people" according to his mentor, who had pizza with him in Southern Utah while he spoke Italian with a waiter.

One wonders, should they eat together again soon, will one call the other a "mask cultist"? How about a "Covid cultist?" Would the other call the one to task for recklessly chiding mask wearing?

I could not immediately tell what Will's actual position is, but here is a telling quote:
Will Schryver wrote:I never once claimed that "we" had achieved herd immunity. The UK? Sweden? Other countries in Europe? Yes, they appear to have achieved or to be near a state of relative herd immunity. Also NY, Florida, AZ are apparently near that state.
WTF, Florida has nearly achieved herd immunity? According to Worldometer's predictions, cases are dropping for the summer, but then pick back up such that Winter will pummel us with another round. I assume that has something to do with weather and flu season. But I guess Will has a better stats source than Worldometer. Maybe he has his own calculations, such as it was for the Book of Abraham scroll?

I wonder what Sam LaFevre thinks of his fellow apologist's Covid-19 blogging?
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Re: Sic et Non vs. Will Schryver?

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

21,000 tweets. Man, narcissists loves them some Twitterz.

- Doc
_Doctor Scratch
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Scratch »

It's not really all that surprising that Schryver is a COVID denier, nor is it surprising that Dr. Peterson basically shrugs about the whole thing. I mean, Dr. Peterson has been ignoring a lot of the medical advice that has been handed down: i.e., ignoring advice to stay at home, and to avoid gatherings--especially indoor gatherings. But being a Mopologists, he likes the idea of getting to have fun that is denied to others.
"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
_Everybody Wang Chung
_Emeritus

Post by _Everybody Wang Chung »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:03 pm
It's not really all that surprising that Schryver is a COVID denier, nor is it surprising that Dr. Peterson basically shrugs about the whole thing. I mean, Dr. Peterson has been ignoring a lot of the medical advice that has been handed down: i.e., ignoring advice to stay at home, and to avoid gatherings--especially indoor gatherings. But being a Mopologists, he likes the idea of getting to have fun that is denied to others.
Dr. Scratch,

Thank you for pointing out DCP’s reckless disregard for the safety of others. This type of dangerous behavior needs to be brought to the public’s attention.

I really hope none of those 50 Witness movie viewers gets sick or, heaven forbid, dies because of DCP’s vanity.

DCP is already well known as a racist, plagiarizer, liar, horrible teacher/academic, but I would hate to see the label “murderer” also attached to his name.

Let’s all hope and pray this doesn’t happen.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

I can assure you that no state has reached herd immunity. That is absolutely absurd. Sad to hear that Schryver is in a form of COVID denial. I am very happy that DCP is not.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

Well.......sputtering........I mean, the........uh........6,000,000 who have caught it in the USA alone are fake news or something?! Just wow!!!
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Post by _Gadianton »

"If you are one of these selfish and irresponsible idiots, please stop it. If you know one of these selfish and irresponsible idiots, please tell him or her to stop it: “Large parties held in Provo as COVID-19 on the rise at BYU” There may be light at the end of the novel coronavirus tunnel, but we still have some considerable distance to travel:"

Maybe they've been reading Schryver's tweets and think it's okay now? Good thing he's got his bros to cover for him.
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_Everybody Wang Chung
_Emeritus

Post by _Everybody Wang Chung »

DCP wrote: "If you are one of these selfish and irresponsible idiots, please stop it. If you know one of these selfish and irresponsible idiots, please tell him or her to stop it: “Large parties held in Provo as COVID-19 on the rise at BYU” There may be light at the end of the novel coronavirus tunnel, but we still have some considerable distance to travel:"
Dean Robbers,

The sad thing is that DCP is one of these “irresponsible idiots” for showing his film to over 50 people in a movie theater and for traveling in contradiction of the CDC’s recommendations.

DCP, here is some of your own advice, “Stop being an idiot and stop putting innocent lives at risk!”

While I’m at it DCP, please stop being a homophobic, plagiarizing and racist moron.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
_Doctor Scratch
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Scratch »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:35 am
DCP wrote: "If you are one of these selfish and irresponsible idiots, please stop it. If you know one of these selfish and irresponsible idiots, please tell him or her to stop it: “Large parties held in Provo as COVID-19 on the rise at BYU” There may be light at the end of the novel coronavirus tunnel, but we still have some considerable distance to travel:"
Dean Robbers,

The sad thing is that DCP is one of these “irresponsible idiots” for showing his film to over 50 people in a movie theater and for traveling in contradiction of the CDC’s recommendations.

DCP, here is some of your own advice, “Stop being an idiot and stop putting innocent lives at risk!”
The hypocrisy really is staggering:
DCP wrote:If that party is responsible for infecting (to say nothing of killing) even a single person, that will have been too much.
The same goes for the indoor gathering of 50+ people that he organized, right? Time for a "mea culpa," perhaps?
"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

DCP giving a mea culpa? I don't think so. I do like his blog, though. It reminds me of the saying, "Never underestimate an idiot with confidence."

- Doc