Daniel Peterson, Lying as a Favor for John Gee

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Meadowchik
_Emeritus

Re: Daniel Peterson, Lying as a Favor for John Gee

Post by _Meadowchik »

Shulem wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:05 am
You make a good point and your opinion is valid. It leaves me to wonder what adjustments or changes are best for me as I live my life. Honestly, I get angry and passionate about the Book of Abraham. It sets me off. It makes me want to scream and throw rocks. The biggest thing is how Church leadership has handled the issues. Honestly, it makes me livid when I think about it.
I believe you. It is infuriating.
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

I’ll feel a lot better once the Facsimiles are finally pulled from LDS canon. I need that to happen as part of my healing process.
_Holy Ghost
_Emeritus

Post by _Holy Ghost »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:01 am
https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeters ... raham.html

In the comments section Peterson baldly declares that Gee and Muhlstein's Egyptology views are mainstream!!!! He literally says that..... Well, why can't we find any mainstream Egyptologists lecturing with them on their evidences for the Joseph Smith Papyri and Pearl of Great Price?!? I'm just curious is all..... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Has Ritner ever ONCE anywhere in print or podcast AGREE with anything Gee has ever claimed about the J.S. Papyri and Smith's translation?
Dan Peterson is now just flat out lying, which has become the only Mormon Gospel apologists know these days......
It's mainstream in the Provo River; no where else.
"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." Isaac Asimov
_Holy Ghost
_Emeritus

Post by _Holy Ghost »

Shulem wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:36 am
I’ll feel a lot better once the Facsimiles are finally pulled from LDS canon. I need that to happen as part of my healing process.
Shulem, what was the fall out or blow-back the LDS church got when the leadership unilaterally de-canonized the Lectures on Faith? Could the LDS church survive trying to de-canonize anything at this point in time, this deep into the information age?
"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." Isaac Asimov
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:01 am
https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeters ... raham.html

In the comments section Peterson baldly declares that Gee and Muhlstein's Egyptology views are mainstream!!!! He literally says that..... Well, why can't we find any mainstream Egyptologists lecturing with them on their evidences for the Joseph Smith Papyri and Pearl of Great Price?!? I'm just curious is all..... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Has Ritner ever ONCE anywhere in print or podcast AGREE with anything Gee has ever claimed about the J.S. Papyri and Smith's translation?
Dan Peterson is now just flat out lying, which has become the only Mormon Gospel apologists know these days......
Aren't their views sufficiently mainstream to get published in peer-reviewed journals in the field of Egyptology? I think what is being confused here is the difference between Egyptology and Book of Abraham apologetics. In the former discipline, Gee and Muhlstein have shown they can do a respectable job. In the latter, I think they have done something of a disservice to members of the LDS Church. The Book of Abraham is a case for reception of antiquity, or, how people interpret the past and appropriate it in non-scholarly ways. The Book of Abraham is a 19th century text. It takes virtually no understanding of Egyptology for a scholar to comment on what Smith was doing when he wrote the Book of Abraham. Smith did not know Egyptian or very much about Egypt, and he incorporated virtually nothing that would be valuable to someone who is doing scholarship on Ancient Egypt.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist