The current state of the lds temple marriage process?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

The current state of the lds temple marriage process?

Post by _Lemmie »

Has there been a change in the way temple marriage is observed in the lds church? I was astonished to read a conversation recently where a Mormon, apparently 30s or so, argued that it is NOT policy for non-members to not be allowed to attend their children’s weddings. When pressed, the story changed slightly, he acknowledged that “sealing” happens in the temple, but insisted that the overwhelming majority of the marriage event, including the ring ceremony, takes place where everyone can attend, and therefore no one needed to be excluded from a wedding. (I thought ring ceremonies outside the temple were severely frowned upon, did that change also?) He was also insistent that it was “not policy” that non-members be excluded, but rather a choice some make. I do understand that outside of this country, laws require marriages to be solemnized in public, but he stated he was a US citizen.

He may have been including the length of time of a reception in his assessment of the “marriage event,” which I don’t consider part of a wedding proper, but still, has something change$? This may also be one of those milk before meat things, where Mormons want to present a rosy picture of Mormon life that doesn’t match the gritty details, but then again, Symmachus’ recent description of the Mormons in his life depicted a very different level of commitment to the rules than what I have ever observed, so maybe things are changing. Any thoughts?
_Temp. Admin.
_Emeritus

Re: The current state of the LDS temple marriage process?

Post by _Temp. Admin. »

(Dr. Shades here, posting under our "Temp. Admin." account.)

I heard that the church finally did away with the one-year waiting period between a civil wedding and the actual sealing if the former happens within the United States (it was always O.K. outside the United States). So I'm sure that's what he's talking about.
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Re: The current state of the LDS temple marriage process?

Post by _Lemmie »

So temple “marriages” are a thing of the past? Fascinating. What a complete change in the culture.

ETA: I guess I missed this! Lol.

The First Presidency of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints announced Monday that a civil marriage between a man and a woman will no longer necessitate waiting a year for that couple to be married (or sealed) in a temple. The change means Latter-day Saint couples can look forward to a temple marriage as soon as their circumstances permit.

The new policy sets a single global standard for Latter-day Saints around the world. The Church has observed this practice for many years in more than half of the countries where the worldwide faith resides. In those countries, couples are required by law to marry civilly first.

“Where possible, leaders should encourage couples to be both married and sealed in the temple,” says a First Presidency letter to Church leaders around the world. “Where a licensed marriage is not permitted in the temple, or when a temple marriage would cause parents or immediate family members to feel excluded, a civil ceremony followed by a temple sealing is authorized.”

The First Presidency also stated, “This change in policy should not be interpreted as lessening the emphasis on the temple sealing. The sealing of a husband and wife in the temple is of eternal significance and a crowning experience on the covenant path.” (Download the full letter and Q&A enclosure.)

https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.or ... e-marriage
Bolding added by me, to note the section that caused the confusion. Some Good little Mormons are now properly gaslighting and saying “It was NEVER policy that family members were denied the right to attend a wedding!” Standard mopologetic technique. Either that or younger people have no clue.