Did Allen Wyatt Get 'Demoted' at Interpreter?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Doctor Scratch
_Emeritus

Re: Did Allen Wyatt Get 'Demoted' at Interpreter?

Post by _Doctor Scratch »

Did you know? Something new appeared on the "Interpreter" blog today. Do you know what *isn't* new? There was no mention or thanking of Allen Wyatt. It's interesting how Dr. Peterson can maintain a what, hundreds-of-weeks-long streak of mentions of his pet project, but could he maintain that same zeal if it involved thanking the people who've helped him to realize his project?
"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
_Doctor Scratch
_Emeritus

Like clockwork, the publishing of a new article on a Friday is de rigueur at "Interpreter," along with the standard-issue announcement on "SeN." This week, the "Interpreter" article is by none other than Dr. Peterson himself. So he spent a fair amount of time plugging his own work (and who peer-reviewed this, I wonder? Midgley and Wyatt?), and yet there was no mention of Allen Wyatt.

I get it. It's hard. They look at these posts and think: "Whatever. Dr. Scratch called Allen 'The Slug' and made fun of him!" That's true: I did that. But I was never Allen's friend (or, at least, I never pretended to be). And I have never made fun of him on the radio, in front of (theoretically) thousands of listeners.
"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:07 am
This week, the "Interpreter" article is by none other than Dr. Peterson himself.
I doubt Dr. Peterson had time to track down some of the material mentioned in his footnotes, but here is a link to one of the most alarming parts of his article:

http://www.oldmagazinearticles.com/arti ... 3BRc2hKhPY

-----------

Dr. Peterson might be forced by his donors to cease quoting from the Scientific American, because that magazine took the extraordinary step of endorsing Joe Biden.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Doctor Scratch
_Emeritus

No mention whatsoever of Allen Wyatt in this week's (and how many weeks in a row has it been?) announcement:
DCP wrote:Two important reviews appeared today in Interpreter: A Journal of Latter-day Saint Faith and Scholarship.
And who oversaw the peer-reviewing of this? Wyatt? Lindsay? Are they comfortable with this level of scrutiny?
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

I guess if the first Interpreter takedown of Benjamin E. Park's, Kingdom of Nauvoo: The Rise and Fall of a Religious Empire on the American Frontier was an embarrassment, you simply fire another volley.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Doctor Scratch
_Emeritus

moksha wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:54 am
I guess if the first Interpreter takedown of Benjamin E. Park's, Kingdom of Nauvoo: The Rise and Fall of a Religious Empire on the American Frontier was an embarrassment, you simply fire another volley.
Well, sure. They learned their lesson from the heyday of FARMS. E.g., four or five essays all devoted to slamming Grant Palmer? It's easy enough to point to that and say that all they are doing is authoring hit-pieces, and that's the whole point of their enterprise. So, they don't do that anymore. The hit pieces still keep coming, but they've learned to spread them out, and to try and "hide" them amidst the other flotsam they publish.
_Dr Moore
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Moore »

I have no particular insight about this, but would imagine that Wyatt now goes to bed on Thursdays with a sense of foreboding dread.

No doubt he understands perfectly well that your calling attention to the reoccurring slights assures that (a) he will never again be publicly and properly thanked by the chairman for his labor, and (b) instead of celebrating the years-unbroken Friday publication streak, the day now opens a weekend of uncertainty and doubt regarding his role and legacy.
_Doctor Scratch
_Emeritus

Dr Moore wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:26 pm
I have no particular insight about this, but would imagine that Wyatt now goes to bed on Thursdays with a sense of foreboding dread.

No doubt he understands perfectly well that your calling attention to the reoccurring slights assures that (a) he will never again be publicly and properly thanked by the chairman for his labor, and (b) instead of celebrating the years-unbroken Friday publication streak, the day now opens a weekend of uncertainty and doubt regarding his role and legacy.
Yes, Dr. Moore: I think you're probably right. The Interpreter Foundation really isn't a "Team Effort," when you get right down to it. I mean, sure: Amazon wouldn't be able to function without all of its thousands and thousands of employees. But who cares about anyone associated with Amazon besides Jeff Bezos? The CEO is the only one who matters. So, bearing that in mind: when the CEO singles somebody out for recognition, it really carries a lot of weight.
_Doctor Scratch
_Emeritus

Some things are certain in life, such as death, taxes, and the fact that Allen Wyatt will not be mentioned in connection with the latest blog post on "Interpreter."