Terrestrial Ratio of Women to Men

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Re: Terrestrial Ratio of Women to Men

Post by _moksha »

Older women have better things to do than waste their retirement years on message boards.

Speaking of younger women, what has become of Harmony, Liz, Truth Dancer, and Blixa?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

moksha wrote:Older women have better things to do than waste their retirement years on message boards.

Speaking of younger women, what has become of Harmony, Liz, Truth Dancer, and Blixa?

Harmony is still on the mod team here. Maybe send her a PM.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Jersey Girl wrote:Harmony is still on the mod team here. Maybe send her a PM.

Does she post under a different name?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

moksha wrote:Older women have better things to do than waste their retirement years on message boards.

Dear wise penguin, please post a dick pic so we can decide whether your opinion about the generalized activities of women of various ages matters. Or not.
_honorentheos
_Emeritus

Post by _honorentheos »

Holy Ghost wrote:
honorentheos wrote:I would argue the boards culture has evolved and it seems to me like there are fewer female voices present here. Good, bad or indifferent the board used to feature prominent women moderators in Liz and Harmony, Jersey Girl was a moderator in a past life, and there was a general balance if not lean toward female voices at the level of board management. If we were a company, it would look suspicious that the management became exclusively male as the ratio on the board shifted hard towards male-dominated discussions.

The board had male and female voices at most levels of participation, from prominent discussion leaders to occasional posters who might lurk more than post.

Chat was diverse, and I suspect had a more balanced ratio than the board overall.

What changed? Good question. I won't speculate or pretend to know. All I can say is it's certainly changed in my view.

In your opinion, were the discussions richer and more interesting when there was a more balanced ratio?

Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: I rarely read the Terrestrial Forum these days. Not that Spirit Paradise is any more balanced but Jersey Girl is an active participant and Lemmie posts there as well. MeDotOrg, EA, Xenophon, Res Ipsa, Dr. Stuess and a few others seem to post there more than here as well which, to be honest scratches the itch better that is my attachment to this board. But that's also likely due to the goings on of Mormonism becoming a boring topic to me over time. Dr. Peterson, John Dehlin, and whatever is being discussed at various other sites aren't as interesting as topics for debates over the original of the first vision, the historical background behind the Civil War prophecy, or whatever Runtu had in his mind on a particular day. Maybe the rivalry with MAD/FAIR/MDD was part of it then, too. Don't know. But it's different.

The posters I hope are doing well if not active here much anymore are many, and it seems more women are on that list proportionately to men compared to those that currently post. Just Me, Blixa, Liz, beastie, Harmony, cafe creme, MsJack (a post every blue moon isn't that different...) Kimberly Ann, Red, and so many others it's stupid of me to have started a list I can't help but screw up by missing people who made the board interesting... Threads on Dexter or The Walking Dead, a Bible subject based on a Greek turn of phrase, the latest parallel between Mormonism and some philosopher or other...I think it's fair to say the board featured a wider array of discussion topics and more active participation on threads not about SeN or whatever.

But that said, the board featured a wider range of poster views and backgrounds generally so there is a loss in voices from all genders. And perhaps that's just how things go, times change, people move around or on to other things.
The world is always full of the sound of waves..but who knows the heart of the sea, a hundred feet down? Who knows it's depth?
~ Eiji Yoshikawa
_DoubtingThomas
_Emeritus

Post by _DoubtingThomas »

Physics Guy wrote:I have a hypothesis that I think might explain why fewer women than men seem to appear in intellectually prominent roles: testosterone. I think that maybe testosterone simply makes men more confident, purely as a drug-like effect that has nothing to do with whether the men have any reason to be confident.

Interesting theory.
_DoubtingThomas
_Emeritus

Physics Guy wrote:I have a hypothesis that I think might explain why fewer women than men seem to appear in intellectually prominent roles: testosterone.

Why do you think the majority of ex-mormons are men?
_cwald
_Emeritus

Post by _cwald »

jwald is a "exmo" but doesn't post much here, if ever. I don't know why? She posted a few times, seldom, on StayLDS and NOM, but never here as far as I know.
"Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn’t participate enthusiastically." - Robert Kirby

Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer. -- Henry Lawson
_Meadowchik
_Emeritus

Post by _Meadowchik »

One common gripe I hear from exmo women is that a man might leave the church behind but not the patriarchy or sexism. There is a reddit that continues to attract female members who feel uncomfortable in the exmormon reddit, saying that it is too often the stage of misogynistic voices. And it originated for that exact purpose.

On another note, I would not be surprised if there was a slightly higher retention rate of females in the church, especially in places where the church's benevolent sexism is an improvement upon the sexism of the overall local culture. My theory is that people gravitate to safety. Even at the deep psychological level, it is more difficult to consider ideas which threaten one's sense of identity and safety. So if a women feels like she is just as safe or more safe in society at large than in ther church, she might be more able to see beyond the religious indoctrination.
_DoubtingThomas
_Emeritus

Master_DC wrote:When you look at the posters over at r/exmormon, they seem to have a fairly balanced ratio, though that is not a scientific assessment.

On the iamexmormon channel I counted 28 men and 13 women.
https://www.youtube.com/user/iamanexmormon/videos