Big Bang question for Philo Sofee

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_DoubtingThomas
_Emeritus

Big Bang question for Philo Sofee

Post by _DoubtingThomas »

Philo Sofee, what did you believe about the Big Bang when you were a LDS apologist? Did you believe that Jehovah created the universe with the Big Bang?
_DoubtingThomas
_Emeritus

Re: Big Bang question for Philo Sofee

Res Ipsa wrote:Here's an interview with a Mormon astronomer who believes the Big Bang was God creating the universe.

https://rationalfaiths.com/science-big-bang/

I've also run into discussions of the multi-verse being consistent with eternal progression, with each individual universe being created by its god. That certainly implies that the God of our universe created our universe through the Big Bang.

Is that a popular LDS view?
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

And, while you're at it Philo-baby, please explain what was going on before the BIG BANG when Heavenly Father's Daddy was busy banging?

Have you ever met Heavenly Father's Daddy?

Woof! Woof!

I hear he makes a Big Bang when he bangs!

:razz:
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

Let there be a BIG BANG and let me grab it by the bang.

Heavenly Daddy Big bang
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

DoubtingThomas wrote:Did you believe that Jehovah created the universe with the Big Bang?

Excellent question with the Big Bang. Did it happen that way or was God just stringing us along?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

Philo, in case you haven’t seen the context for these questions, you can read it starting here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=52596&start=21#p1204586
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

moksha wrote:
DoubtingThomas wrote:Did you believe that Jehovah created the universe with the Big Bang?

Excellent question with the Big Bang. Did it happen that way or was God just stringing us along?

Moksha:

You ought to write a book satirizing Mormonism and the mopes and religion in general. I'm sure it would be popular.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

I would buy and read a book of satire by the Penguin on any subject. Bird’s got a talent.
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

I think I thought that the great Elohim divvied his authority over to Jehovah (after he defeated Marduk and Tiamat, Min and Zeus [it's all on the 16 lost pages of the Book of Mormon and one of them lost Egyptian scrolls from the catacombs]) and Jehovah did create the universe. Now it's fascinating to realize the universe created Jehovah! :biggrin:

Jehovah creates universe
universe creates Jehovah...

That Hebrew chiasmus may very well be key to uncoding the secret message hidden in the above message to the boards, enter the labyrinth at your own perils.
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_DoubtingThomas
_Emeritus

Res Ipsa wrote:Philo, in case you haven’t seen the context for these questions

The apologists wrote in a book, "Furthermore, invoking a Creator or Designer every time unexplained phenomena arises is a "thinking stopper"". See "Is the fine-tuning of the universe evidence for God?" question.
https://interpreterfoundation.org/repri ... -religion/

A Mormon astronomer said, "The biblical account is a remarkably peaceful story. By contrast, the big bang is a story of incredible violence, involving inconceivable forces and energies. It seems extremely unlikely that these two stories describe the same event". At the end he said, "Our magnificent universe had a remarkable beginning as well as a marvelous development that has, after fourteen billion years, brought us to the present moment, where conscious and intelligent beings on a blue planet can ponder and pray about such matters. Let’s enjoy the incredible journey!" http://scholarsarchive.byu.edu/cgi/view ... ontext=msr

The apologists will never directly say "god did not create the universe" because that will get them in a lot of trouble. But please note that the apologists do not take a position on the fine-tuning and the Mormon astronomer never said that god created the universe.

Philo Sofee wrote:

Am I right?