Why is BYU-Idaho Givng Its Students the Shaft?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Re: Why is BYU-Idaho Givng Its Students the Shaft?

Post by _Kishkumen »

Holy Ghost wrote:BYU-Idaho reverses Medicaid decision, apologizes for community turmoil

https://www.eastidahonews.com/2019/11/b ... LMCSbbU0JQ

Well, good. This was a terrible move, although I understand they wanted to avoid entanglements with the ACA.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Apparently this issue touched enough raw nerves that the Salt Lake Tribune closed its comments section on the article about the Medicaid reversal. Wonder if they recently hired a MAD&D moderator?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_MsJack
_Emeritus

Post by _MsJack »

I was on my father's military health insurance until I got married at age 21. Thereafter I had to purchase a BYU student health plan.

I had been on birth control for years for medical reasons completely unrelated to sexual activity.

The BYU student health plan refused to cover my birth control, declaring it to be "cosmetic." They would cover the other medications treating the exact same condition. But they seemingly could not wrap their heads around the fact that sometimes birth control is prescribed to women for reasons that have nothing to do with sex.

I spoke with every representative from the insurance plan and the health center that I could and I just could not convince them that my birth control prescription was in no way "cosmetic."

Just a despicable, misogynist "health" plan.

I have to wonder if Medicaid's support for birth control isn't part of the reason BYU-I tried to give it the boot.
"It seems to me that these women were the head (κεφάλαιον) of the church which was at Philippi." ~ John Chrysostom, Homilies on Philippians 13

My Blogs: Weighted Glory | Worlds Without End: A Mormon Studies Roundtable | Twitter
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

“The well-being of our students and their families is very important to us,” the university’s email said Monday. “We are grateful for the feedback we have received from our campus community and for the input of the local medical community.”

https://www.deseret.com/2019/11/25/2098 ... ce-apology

If you really were grateful for feedback from students and the medical community you’d have sought it prior to making the original decision. You only now give a toss about feedback because it’s blown up in your faces.

Still no comment from University President Henry J. Eyring...
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')