Mr Oaks blames members/local leaders for gay discrimination

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Mr Oaks blames members/local leaders for gay discrimination

Post by _I have a question »

Further, we must never persecute those who do not share our beliefs and commitments. Regretfully, some persons facing these issues continue to feel marginalized and rejected by some members and leaders in our families, wards, and stakes. We must all strive to be kinder and more civil.

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/stu ... s?lang=eng

It wasn't the members and leaders in our families, wards and stakes that came up with the November 2015 revelation policy Mr Oaks.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Re: Mr Oaks blames members/local leaders for gay discriminat

Post by _Philo Sofee »

Yes, YES! It is always our faults when God has a brain fart, and the prophets imagine that crap is a revelation and propound it as such! That's the ticket Oaks, blame everyone else. True Gospel action right there people. I'm tellin ya, this man has it figured out. It musta been God tellin him yo hey there treehead, tell the members to be nicer.
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Post by _Gadianton »

That was pretty awful. What a terrible person.
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_toon
_Emeritus

Post by _toon »

He’s actually taught it:

PUBLIC AFFAIRS: At what point does showing that love cross the line into inadvertently endorsing behavior? If the son says, ‘Well, if you love me, can I bring my partner to our home to visit? Can we come for holidays?’ How do you balance that against, for example, concern for other children in the home?’

ELDER OAKS: That’s a decision that needs to be made individually by the person responsible, calling upon the Lord for inspiration. I can imagine that in most circumstances the parents would say, ‘Please don’t do that. Don’t put us into that position.’ Surely if there are children in the home who would be influenced by this example, the answer would likely be that. There would also be other factors that would make that the likely answer.

I can also imagine some circumstances in which it might be possible to say, ‘Yes, come, but don’t expect to stay overnight. Don’t expect to be a lengthy house guest. Don’t expect us to take you out and introduce you to our friends, or to deal with you in a public situation that would imply our approval of your “partnership.”

There are so many different circumstances, it’s impossible to give one answer that fits all.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Even if President Oaks' current message is not congruent with his past teachings, this new thought sounds more in-line with a real Christian teaching, so good for him.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Mormonicious
_Emeritus

Post by _Mormonicious »

I guess it's not the "Church" then in this article

Church says Utah rule effectively banning conversion therapy for minors should be 'appropriately amended'

https://www.ksl.com/article/46656330/ch ... ly-amended
Revelation 2:17 . . give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth it. Thank Google GOD for her son eBay, you can now have life eternal with laser engraving. . oh, and a seer stone and save 10% of your life's earning as a bonus. See you in Mormon man god Heaven Bitches!!. Bring on the Virgins
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

Mormonicious wrote:I guess it's not the "Church" then in this article

Church says Utah rule effectively banning conversion therapy for minors should be 'appropriately amended'

https://www.ksl.com/article/46656330/ch ... ly-amended

I think the Church is using the term "appropriately" to mean "to suit the Church".
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')