I am about to resign from the Church...

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Markk
Charlatan

Re: I am about to resign from the Church...

Post by Markk »

lostindc wrote:
I am a SoP for sure...at least according to my old SMP...he called me satan when I questioned Huge Nibley’s ability to read Egyptian (Book of Abraham).

haha, to be called satan by your stake president had to be a really special experience.

It was pretty comical actually now that I look back, but at the time it didn’t feel that way.

I was about 6 months of so liberated, and a friend of mine was approached by the local missionaries and invited him to the SMP house for cookies and a lesson. He asked me to go with him and I went. The SMP thought I was there to help convert my friend and when I started in with typical 1990’s anti talking points he had a conniption fit.

He had studied under Nibley at BYU and had a man crush on him, and when I questioned his apologetics he flipped out.

Looking back I feel sorry for the poor missionaries, and even more so for sister SMP...she just sat there and watched her husband pop a aorta.

But the cookies and home made bread were good.
Don't take life so seriously in that " sooner or later we are just old men in funny clothes" "Tom 'T-Bone' Wolk"

cwald
God

Post by cwald »

Markk wrote:I am a SoP for sure...at least according to my old SMP...he called me satan when I questioned ...

Right. I was accused of being gay for questioning the Prop 8.

Anyway, lostindc, peace.
"Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn’t participate enthusiastically." - Robert Kirby

Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer. -- Henry Lawson

Dr. Shades
Founder & Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Markk wrote:I was about 6 months of so liberated, and a friend of mine was approached by the local missionaries and invited him to the SMP house for cookies and a lesson. He asked me to go with him and I went. The SMP thought I was there to help convert my friend and when I started in with typical 1990’s anti talking points he had a conniption fit.

What does the "M" in "SMP" stand for?

Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Post by Holy Ghost »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Markk wrote:I was about 6 months of so liberated, and a friend of mine was approached by the local missionaries and invited him to the SMP house for cookies and a lesson. He asked me to go with him and I went. The SMP thought I was there to help convert my friend and when I started in with typical 1990’s anti talking points he had a conniption fit.

Mission, as in Stake Mission President?
"Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion." Steven Weinberg, Nobel Laureate, Physics

Ceeboo
God

Post by Ceeboo »

Hey lost

Congrats on freeing yourself from the fear riddled bondage of organized religion. Should you discover that bondage comes in many forms and from many places, you might want to consider the following:

https://youtu.be/8uDuHdoHNSA

Peace and best wishes.

Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Ceeboo wrote:https://youtu.be/8uDuHdoHNSA

I raise you some weird ass Jesus worship, and ask LiDC to consider:

https://youtu.be/o-3ESjm9iQ8?t=34

Sincerely,

Dr. Vihaan Kshatriya for Me
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Markk
Charlatan

Post by Markk »

Dr. Shades wrote:

Mission
Don't take life so seriously in that " sooner or later we are just old men in funny clothes" "Tom 'T-Bone' Wolk"

Shulem
Son of Perdition

Post by Shulem »

What's the status?

:geek: