more of gemli's gems

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Re: more of gemli's gems

Post by _moksha »

Dr. Peterson as a talking Toucan

gemli Louis Midgley • 9 hours ago
The fact that I can practically recite your replies before I read them may be indicative of a certain sameness. But some people never learn.

DanielPeterson Mod gemli • 8 hours ago
The fact that I can practically recite your replies before I read them is indicative of a certain sameness. But some people never learn.

Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

Upon being informed that he doesn’t know anything (again), gemli responds with another gem:

gemli DanielPeterson • 6 hours ago

I know that Catholics think Mormons are going to Hell. And that Baptists think other Baptists are in big trouble. In general I know that every religion thinks there's something wrong with every other religion, which is why there are so many different religions in the first place.

Or maybe it's all about a problem with the human thought process, and religion is just the rash it breaks out in.

http://disq.us/p/2bo7hkz
The rash it breaks out in. Lol.
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

Gemli’s on a roll:

gemli DanielPeterson 7 hours ago

You must realize that citing theists who believe in theistic beliefs is not part of the solution. The argumentum ad verecundiam is a logical fallacy, And anything with a Latin name has got to be taken seriously.

Should I cite the names of brilliant logicians, scientists, doctors, authors and public intellectuals who aren't theists? If I do so, will religions simply go away?

I prefer to keep my epistemic distance from people who make up self-serving phrases to justify their irrational beliefs. Or perhaps I have a hundred dollar bill that you can have, but as you get closer to it, it moves further away.

Theists are expert at armoring their beliefs with all sorts of rhetorical steel plate so that logic and reason can never penetrate. I wonder what actually motivates this behavior. What are they afraid of, really?

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeters ... 5059390437
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

“Or perhaps I have a hundred dollar bill that you can have, but as you get closer to it, it moves further away.”

God, could that have been a delicious reference to Joseph Smith’s treasure seeking? Absolutely sublime if it was, and if it wasn’t... a happy accident!

- Doc
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

When you read the back and forth exchanges, it would be nice if the apologists had something more than insults and sophistry.

What is that thing about always wanting Gemli to read some book? Even if Gemli read some book on Sumerian creation stories, would that be sufficient to convert him to Mormonisn?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

moksha wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:19 am
When you read the back and forth exchanges, it would be nice if the apologists had something more than insults and sophistry.

What is that thing about always wanting Gemli to read some book? Even if Gemli read some book on Sumerian creation stories, would that be sufficient to convert him to Mormonisn?
It's a tactic to avoid answering the real question while messaging the faithful that there is a response and the response is amazing. Just point to some 900 pg book that no one will read or to the thousands of pages of apologetic drivel and claim the answers are there, hoping no one will call you out.

When trying to calm the Swedish members down and "rescue" them, Apostle L. Tom Perry pointed to some secret memo in his briefcase that supposedly had all the answers. But time was short and he had to go to important meetings. So, obviously, he couldn't show or at least discuss the contents of the super secret saving memo. Too bad for the Swedes as I believe a lot left.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

This gem goes to Ms. Midgley, may she rest in peace:
Louis Midgley Sam LeFevre • 2 hours ago

When the Midgleys returned from their two year stay in Aotearoa, I complained that this and that fruit or whatever was better in New Zealand, or in the case of Pineapple, in Australia.

And my wife finally said "so were husbands."

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeters ... 5062613213