Part 5 of Vogel Interview-FV, Masonry

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Dan Vogel
_Emeritus

Part 5 of Vogel Interview-FV, Masonry

Post by _Dan Vogel »

Part 5 (of 9) of my interview with Rick Bennett of Gospel Tangents is now up. We discuss the First Vision, Joseph Smith’s changing theology, modalism in the Book of Mormon, and anti-Masonry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InlNmHAIBk0
I do not want you to think that I am very righteous, for I am not.
Joseph Smith (History of the Church 5:401)
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Re: Part 5 of Vogel Interview-FV, Masonry

Post by _Shulem »

1. Jesus hugs his Father, stands at his right side, and grabs him by the . . . .

2. Poor Alvin. If only he'd been baptized he wouldn't be burning in hell.

3. I didn't know Joseph Smith and Mormon were one in the same! That's a revelation.

4. Mormons dare not discuss the details of Masonry. They can't and they won't. I wonder why?

:twisted:
_Stocks
_Emeritus

Post by _Stocks »

Hi Dan. Question. Is there new information in these podcasts that was not in your Making of a Prophet book? I am actually working through your Book of Abraham youtube videos and wonder if this new series has some updated research. Thanks!
… the only thing to do when a man is wrong is to be right by ceasing to be wrong. -- Edwin Lefevre
_Dan Vogel
_Emeritus

Post by _Dan Vogel »

Stocks wrote:Hi Dan. Question. Is there new information in these podcasts that was not in your Making of a Prophet book? I am actually working through your Book of Abraham youtube videos and wonder if this new series has some updated research. Thanks!

No, nothing new. Just talking in general terms with a little evidence here and there.
I do not want you to think that I am very righteous, for I am not.
Joseph Smith (History of the Church 5:401)
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

I'll be listening tomorrow. It's good you're spreading the word about your scholarship. I frankly like your middle approach of Joseph Smith being a pious fraud. People are complex and even though he made it up, he could have had good motives, or at least good motives according to his definition. Anyway, even the most vile do good things at times.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

Exiled wrote:I'll be listening tomorrow. It's good you're spreading the word about your scholarship. I frankly like your middle approach of Joseph Smith being a pious fraud. People are complex and even though he made it up, he could have had good motives, or at least good motives according to his definition. Anyway, even the most vile do good things at times.

I'm on board with the Pious Fraud theory. It makes sense and seems to fit into the general scheme of things. I think the original plan was to make money and get some notoriety but as things developed it turned into a genuine venture to create a new system of religion. His intention was to present a new approach towards Christian Zionism and prove that the Catholic church was apostate and that the Protestant movement was not authored of God but of man.