The Martyr Complex and DCP

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Markk
_Emeritus

The Martyr Complex and DCP

Post by _Markk »

I was pondering on how DCP can be both a Lolcow, as defined in MrStakhanovite's thread "How now Lolcow"...and my perception of Dan being a very insecure person.

I came across this at wiki that speaks volumes as to how I perceive Daniel.

Martyr complex
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from Victim complex)

In psychology a person who has a martyr complex, sometimes associated with the term "victim complex", desires the feeling of being a martyr for their own sake, seeking out suffering or persecution because it either feeds a psychological need or a desire to avoid responsibility. Sometimes also used as a gaslight term to shift blame onto a victim (no longer a victim but a "martyr").

In some cases, this results from the belief that the martyr has been singled out for persecution because of exceptional ability or integrity.[1] Theologian Paul Johnson considers such beliefs a topic of concern for the mental health of clergy.[2] Other martyr complexes involve willful suffering in the name of love or duty. This has been observed in women, especially in poor families, as well as in codependent or abusive relationships.[3][4]

The desire for martyrdom is sometimes considered a form of masochism.[5] Allan Berger, however, described it as one of several patterns of "pain/suffering seeking behavior", including asceticism and penance.[6] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martyr_complex

The article reads..."In some cases, this results from the belief that the martyr has been singled out for persecution because of exceptional ability or integrity." and "Other martyr complexes involve willful suffering in the name of love or duty. "

I can't help but seeing these two "traits" in just about every exchange I read between Dan and others here, and even in just a average Blog post.

In his last blog entry, he wrote in regards to being in the Amazon that he witnessed the ingredients for blow dart poison ..." We even saw the frogs and ants who provide two of the main ingredients for curare, the poison that certain tribes use on the darts of their blowguns. Given my notoriously vicious personality, such knowledge may prove useful not only for message board interactions but in future engagements with children, puppies, and bunny rabbits."

I have always seem him as a "victocrat" so to speak, but this article breaks it down even further in helping me understand his need to be the victim of all things negative that comes his way.

A question I ask... Does he see himself as a savior, little s, of Mormonism?

Thoughts?
Don't take life so seriously in that " sooner or later we are just old men in funny clothes" "Tom 'T-Bone' Wolk"
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Re: The Martyr Complex and DCP

Post by _Maksutov »

I agree.
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_Markk
_Emeritus

Post by _Markk »

Again, he wrote...

" We even saw the frogs and ants who provide two of the main ingredients for curare, the poison that certain tribes use on the darts of their blowguns. Given my notoriously vicious personality, such knowledge may prove useful not only for message board interactions but in future engagements with children, puppies, and bunny rabbits."

We can see his real intent in stating..."Given my notoriously vicious personality, such knowledge may prove useful not only for message board interactions ..."

These are his real feelings. I am not saying that he wants his critics dead, but it shows his intense dislike and clear bitterness for those that lead to his fall as a notable LDS apologist.

Then he adds "children, puppies, and bunny rabbits." This appears to be a clear need, in his mind, to be the victim and martyr. In other words he is telling himself that he is a target and picked on...poor Dan, and never deserves criticism from people he engages with on "message boards."
Don't take life so seriously in that " sooner or later we are just old men in funny clothes" "Tom 'T-Bone' Wolk"
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Markk wrote:Then he adds "children, puppies, and bunny rabbits."

He might be setting up a puppies and bunnies defense, where they cannot claim ignorance since they have been clearly warned ahead of time. It is unknown whether this preemptive defense strategy is from the Church lawyers at Kirton McConkie or another distinguished law professor-friend at BYU.

Wonder if Professor Peterson is aware of an alternative paralytic agent derived from the crushed Sego Lilly root and Postum granules?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace