All-time favorite exchanges between mopologists and critics?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Physics Guy
_Emeritus

Re: All-time favorite exchanges between mopologists and crit

Post by _Physics Guy »

I usually also treat "go away and read a lot" as a sign of idiocy, unless the person can at least give me an example of one impressive point. If they have one good shot, but also tell me there's a lot more that I should really go and read, then I probably won't go and read it all because life is short, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt about the good stuff really being out there, for the sake of that one good shot.

Does everybody realize consciously that if you don't have a best shot to take then you really have nothing? I don't know. I think everybody knows that if you have good shots you take them, but I think some people may be under the honest delusion that it's also possible to have a solid case which is just too long and dense to offer good soundbites.

People might honestly think that sometimes knowledge is like that, because they've probably been brushed off by supposed experts who didn't actually understand their subjects well enough to give decent answers, and therefore relied on intimidation to deal with questions. So maybe there's a kind of intellectual cycle of abuse that can operate. If you've been given the runaround yourself a few times, you start to follow the pattern.
_grindael
_Emeritus

Post by _grindael »

I'm going to toot my own horn here...

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=35452&start=21
Riding on a speeding train; trapped inside a revolving door;
Lost in the riddle of a quatrain; Stuck in an elevator between floors.
One focal point in a random world can change your direction:
One step where events converge may alter your perception.
_MonkeyNumber9
_Emeritus

Post by _MonkeyNumber9 »

grindael wrote:I'm going to toot my own horn here...

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=35452&start=21

Really great thread, thanks!

sethbag wrote:If God could take a bunch of dyed-in-the-wool monogamists and turn them into flaming polygamists in one generation, he certainly could have softened the hearts of his saints and taught them compassion and the recognition of the equality of the races in God's eyes.

But of course polygamy gives men orgasms, and recognizing black people as equally human as white people doesn't. So I guess there's no real mystery here. Just as it appears, there's no God in Heaven looking down and fiddling with the lines of communication to reveal to his children what they need to hear. It's just a bunch of men proclaiming that they have God's imprimatur to tell the rest of us what to do, and then gratifying their own desires, while demonizing those they don't like.