The Great Rib Debate Renewed

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_toon
_Emeritus

Re: The Great Rib Debate Renewed

Post by _toon »

moksha wrote:Those on the literal side (such as much beloved poster Cinepro) are citing the reasonings/revealings of President Nelson. Those on the metaphorical side are more hardcore apologists.

In fairness to Cinepro, he's only arguing that Nelson's statement seems to indicate that Nelson thinks it's literal, not that Cinepro thinks it's literal. Big difference.
_fetchface
_Emeritus

Post by _fetchface »

Fred_VII wrote:Occasionally I'll hear someone during a lesson make a comment along the lines of, "That's why men have fewer ribs than women today."

:lol:
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas
My Blog: http://untanglingmybrain.blogspot.com/
_toon
_Emeritus

Post by _toon »

Fred_VII wrote:Occasionally I'll hear someone during a lesson make a comment along the lines of, "That's why men have fewer ribs than women today."

I've heard people say the same. And those people need to be called out for it. If during a lesson, it's a simple "no they don't."

Good thing I don't go to church anymore, because I'd probably now be pretty rude if I had to sit through a lesson and listen to stupid comments like that.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

toon wrote:In fairness to Cinepro, he's only arguing that Nelson's statement seems to indicate that Nelson thinks it's literal, not that Cinepro thinks it's literal. Big difference.

Excellent point. I liked when Cinepro came back after the claim that "President Nelson was just being metaphorical" with a strong rejoinder about Nelson's specific bone number. Cinepro is always encouraging members of that board to be internally consistent and honest in their approach to Mormonism.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Analytics
_Emeritus

Post by _Analytics »

Philo Sofee wrote:Prime rib. That's all that is important.

That is true and if anybody doubts it, you are surely cooking it wrong and need to spend the next 4 minutes and 8 seconds watching this video:

https://vimeo.com/12099997
It’s relatively easy to agree that only Homo sapiens can speak about things that don’t really exist, and believe six impossible things before breakfast. You could never convince a monkey to give you a banana by promising him limitless bananas after death in monkey heaven.

-Yuval Noah Harari
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Post by _Gadianton »

the video is incorrect. Cocoon the prime rib in rock salt and bake.

For nearly anything else they would be right to use a charcoal bbq, although the better the cut, the less reliant on seasonings one should be. And cutting big gashes like that is never justified; you want to keep juices in, not make beef jerky.
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_Analytics
_Emeritus

Post by _Analytics »

Hmmm. You must not be a visual learner, Gadianton. You need to come by Kansas City some time for a cooking lesson!
It’s relatively easy to agree that only Homo sapiens can speak about things that don’t really exist, and believe six impossible things before breakfast. You could never convince a monkey to give you a banana by promising him limitless bananas after death in monkey heaven.

-Yuval Noah Harari
_Bret Ripley
_Emeritus

Post by _Bret Ripley »

Doctor Steuss wrote:If someone wants to heat up the conversation, drop the bomb that the rib is likely a euphemism for the penile bone that most mammals have, but that humans lack.
I heard that in the Celestial Kingdom male worshipers who tithed at 15% receive a baculum for their very own. It's an enhanced membership program.

But I think there's a good chance that "rib" as it appears in the Eden story began as an ancient typo that quickly propagated. Think about it: here's this guy (perfect, sinless, maybe just a tad macho) who finds himself in a garden idyll shacked up with some nude hippie chick who brings him food and talks with animals. Rib? Please: Eve was the product of Adam's fib.
_oliblish
_Emeritus

Post by _oliblish »

The pre-1990 temple ceremony answered this question.

Brethren and sisters, as you sit here, you will hear the voices of three persons who represent Elohim, Jehovah, and Michael. Elohim will command Jehovah and Michael to go down and organize a world. The work of the six creative periods will be represented. They will organize man in their own likeness and image, male and female. This, however, is simply figurative so far as the man and woman are concerned.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Analytics wrote:Hmmm. You must not be a visual learner, Gadianton. You need to come by Kansas City sometime for a cooking lesson!

No overnight marinading with papaya puree?

No matter which part of the body the clonal cells were extracted from, it is a shame the first mating pair were banned from the Mothership's arboretum for failing to take their soma.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace