How Now Lolcow? A Daniel Peterson Thread

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Markk
_Emeritus

Re: How Now Lolcow? A Daniel Peterson Thread

Post by _Markk »

EAllusion wrote:Daniel Peterson, at least as long as I've known him, is infatuated with evangelical apologetics and tends to incorporate the themes and arguments of evangelical apologetics in the bulk of his work.

The baseline for LDS apologetics is one of "Them vs Protestantism." Even here, it is mostly a baseline of "athiest-ism vs Protestantism." The LDS church, even if they deny it, wants to be recognized as a mainstream protestant faith. The term "Mormon Christian" was a common correction on the old boards to a EV, like myself, from DCP and others.

To both the LDS church, and vocal atheists, Evangelicals, for lack of a better term are "the boggie man." I know this from experience. Even though I rarely bring up my faith here, there are many here that have a need to force it into any argument about most any subject.

Dan's earliest battles were those of defending the LDS church as a Christian church with EV's.

We have to also understand that the Mormonism has it roots deep into Protestantism. The early converts were protestants, and believed in the Trinity. The evil church in the 1st vision was the protestant church. And maybe most importantly the Book of Mormon was written with a protestant baseline, just tweaked and twisted a bit...then later dismantled by revelations by Joseph Smith as his story grew.

Interesting subject.
Don't take life so seriously in that " sooner or later we are just old men in funny clothes" "Tom 'T-Bone' Wolk"
_Symmachus
_Emeritus

Post by _Symmachus »

A brief aside touching on this wonderful series of posts: I've always found it cute that this Very Stable Genius advertises his experience with a college major that he didn't actually earn a degree in:

I grew up in southern California, served as a Mormon missionary in German-speaking Switzerland, earned a degree in Greek and philosophy from Brigham Young University (where I had begun as a mathematics major), married a young woman from Colorado, studied in Jerusalem for six months and then in Cairo for four years, finished a Ph.D. in Near Eastern Languages and Cultures at UCLA, and raised three sons. My three favorite topics are religion, history, and politics. I’m passionate about certain places whose grandeur utterly transports me (notable among them the Berner Oberland in Switzerland; the Dolomites, in northern Italy; and the Canadian Rockies)

Greek, philosophy, exotic languages, foreign travel, and math?! WOW!

:surprised: :surprised: :surprised:
"As to any slivers of light or any particles of darkness of the past, we forget about them."

—B. Redd McConkie
_kairos
_Emeritus

Post by _kairos »

(Wink to the gallery: and thus we make our bones. If anyone has anything they would like me to pass on to my Malignant Pursuer, I believe the requisite rapport has been established.)

Touche, well played. That is why I like your posts.

But, the fact remains, as to whether or not DCP has his head up his ass, or not.

Markk- i have to tell you, your responses to the latest DCP Sic et Non BS are worthy of much praise- you have done good and are speaking truth to DCP -keep it up!

thanx
k
_MsJack
_Emeritus

Post by _MsJack »

Gad -- Like the witnesses to the resurrection argument? I'd guess Josh McDowell, Evidence That Demands a Verdict, 1972. Lee Strobel's 1998 The Case for Christ was also very influential.

That is just a guess off the top of my head.
"It seems to me that these women were the head (κεφάλαιον) of the church which was at Philippi." ~ John Chrysostom, Homilies on Philippians 13

My Blogs: Weighted Glory | Worlds Without End: A Mormon Studies Roundtable | Twitter
_Markk
_Emeritus

Post by _Markk »

Geisler might touch on it in the “Encyclopedia of Christian Apologetics (Baker)”. I can look when I get home.
Don't take life so seriously in that " sooner or later we are just old men in funny clothes" "Tom 'T-Bone' Wolk"
_Markk
_Emeritus

Post by _Markk »

kairos wrote:Markk- i have to tell you, your responses to the latest DCP Sic et Non BS are worthy of much praise- you have done good and are speaking truth to DCP -keep it up!

thanx
k

Thanks
_MrStakhanovite
_Emeritus

Post by _MrStakhanovite »

Gadianton wrote:Thank you Mr. Stak. I don't mean to derail with something out of scope then, but do either you or EA know when the idea of "Eyewitness testimony" in EV circles cropped up for the first time? I did a quick search and found a book by Craig in 1994 Reasonable Faith ( A reasonable leap into the light?) that may be the go-to resource for the resurrection as credible based on eye-witness testimony. Ms. Jack?

Late 19th century. American Evangelicals were hugely influenced by philosophy coming out of Scotland and rebutting Hume's infamous section on miracles and testimony was a hot topic. The good Doctors of the Moral Sciences were very eager to craft arguments of probability and many of Hume's contemporaries did just that.
_huckelberry
_Emeritus

Post by _huckelberry »

When in Christian history was there no interest in witness to the resurrection argument? Or is arguments referring only to specific doubts about the witnesses that have spread in the past couple centuries?
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

I wanted to bump this thread in case any lurkers haven't seen it, yet. It's probably one of the more brilliant posts I've seen address the idiocracy of Mopolgetics and the capo hired by the CoJCoLDS (the J is silent) to 'defend their flanks'.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

I humbly request Mr. Stak update this thread with a Louis C. Midgley addendum. That old codger might actually surpass Dowing Dan in his 'lolcowness'.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.