So what this about Julie Rowe?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Servant
_Emeritus

So what this about Julie Rowe?

Post by _Servant »

Apparently this female Mormon was giving seminars on "energy healing," and last I know she was possibly in trouble with the Church. Is she still a Mormon? Has the cult "reeled" her in?
_Grudunza
_Emeritus

Re: So what this about Julie Rowe?

Post by _Grudunza »

She predictably wrongly predicted THE END OF THE WORLD twice, based on a NDE she had. Hundreds or maybe thousands of Mormons believed her, some even selling land and such in expectation of calamities. I think she has since quieted that whole side of her operations, but it wouldn’t surprise me if she’s moved into the energy healing racket.

My (very limited) understanding is there may be some mental health issues as part of this. If so, I hope she can get the treatment and recovery she needs. I don’t consider her having a NDE that she thought was real and binding to be the problem (although she may have profited thereby, which I’d take some issue with), but more that people believed her and took her NDE as real and binding.
http://www.WeirdAlma.com
Weird Alma - Prophet of the New Disputation
_Servant
_Emeritus

Post by _Servant »

Grudunza wrote:She predictably wrongly predicted THE END OF THE WORLD twice, based on a NDE she had. Hundreds or maybe thousands of Mormons believed her, some even selling land and such in expectation of calamities. I think she has since quieted that whole side of her operations, but it wouldn’t surprise me if she’s moved into the energy healing racket.

My (very limited) understanding is there may be some mental health issues as part of this. If so, I hope she can get the treatment and recovery she needs. I don’t consider her having a NDE that she thought was real and binding to be the problem (although she may have profited thereby, which I’d take some issue with), but more that people believed her and took her NDE as real and binding.

Near death experiences are becoming more widely known with the soaring technology of modern medicine. I know someone who had one. He was just a guy who was a Christian. In fact, he was sort of embarrassed to share the details. He didn't see heaven or hell, or a bright light, or anything like that. But he was in the hospital and felt himself leaving his body and floating above it looking down at everything. And he wasn't sleeping. These things seem to happen for a reason, I think. They do affirm to us that we have a spirit which will survive this body's demise. It would be interesting to see if any Jehovah's Witnesses have had a similar experience, since they reject the reality of a spirit which survives death.
_Grudunza
_Emeritus

Post by _Grudunza »

Whatever they may imply or mean, I think one thing is certain... that anyone’s individual NDE is exactly that; their individual NDE. Totally subjective, and colored by their beliefs and life experiences. Which is why when people like Julie Rowe have elaborate prophecies based on them, we can feel free to ignore them.
http://www.WeirdAlma.com
Weird Alma - Prophet of the New Disputation
_Servant
_Emeritus

Post by _Servant »

Grudunza wrote:Whatever they may imply or mean, I think one thing is certain... that anyone’s individual NDE is exactly that; their individual NDE. Totally subjective, and colored by their beliefs and life experiences. Which is why when people like Julie Rowe have elaborate prophecies based on them, we can feel free to ignore them.

I sure wouldn't use these experiences for doctrine. And some of them are obviously spurious. However, as a Christian, I'd have to test anybody's "experience" against God's Word. And that's MY bottom line.
_cwald
_Emeritus

Post by _cwald »

Servant wrote:
Grudunza wrote:Whatever they may imply or mean, I think one thing is certain... that anyone’s individual NDE is exactly that; their individual NDE. Totally subjective, and colored by their beliefs and life experiences. Which is why when people like Julie Rowe have elaborate prophecies based on them, we can feel free to ignore them.

I sure wouldn't use these experiences for doctrine. And some of them are obviously spurious. However, as a Christian, I'd have to test anybody's "experience" against God's Word. And that's MY bottom line.

So if I told you I had a NDE that led me to join the Anglican church, you would believe me?
"Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn’t participate enthusiastically." - Robert Kirby

Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer. -- Henry Lawson
_lostindc
_Emeritus

Post by _lostindc »

Servant wrote:
Near death experiences are becoming more widely known with the soaring technology of modern medicine. I know someone who had one. He was just a guy who was a Christian. In fact, he was sort of embarrassed to share the details. He didn't see heaven or hell, or a bright light, or anything like that. But he was in the hospital and felt himself leaving his body and floating above it looking down at everything. And he wasn't sleeping. These things seem to happen for a reason, I think. They do affirm to us that we have a spirit which will survive this body's demise. It would be interesting to see if any Jehovah's Witnesses have had a similar experience, since they reject the reality of a spirit which survives death.

who cares

Can you imagine spending your days correcting other belief systems that don't conform to your belief system? Sounds like a miserably wasted life.
2019 = #100,000missionariesstrong
_Everybody Wang Chung
_Emeritus

Post by _Everybody Wang Chung »

Servant wrote:I know someone who had one. He was just a guy who was a Christian. In fact, he was sort of embarrassed to share the details. He didn't see heaven or hell, or a bright light, or anything like that. But he was in the hospital and felt himself leaving his body and floating above it looking down at everything. And he wasn't sleeping.

Servant, was this the guy you knew who had the NDE?

"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014