Sit-in against BYU Honor Code Abuse

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Sit-in against BYU Honor Code Abuse

Post by _moksha »

Apparently, there will be a sit-in against the BYU Honor Code tomorrow. Hope there will be no violence by the Provo SWAT squad and Church Security.

I imagine general student apathy will continue as normal.

https://www.newsweek.com/byu-honor-code-office-sit-protest-1393218
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_lostindc
_Emeritus

Re: Sit-in against BYU Honor Code Abuse

Post by _lostindc »

Thankfully, if something bad happens due to the BYU campus police or their special ops police force, we won't have to remember it because no record will exist...

But if there happens to be something filed, we won't see it anyways, even if an agency asks for this information.
2019 = #100,000missionariesstrong
_Mormonicious
_Emeritus

Post by _Mormonicious »

Going to Class, the Library and/or the Cafeteria and sitting in a chair. That is a BYU "sit-in"

Morgbot see and obey.
Revelation 2:17 . . give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth it. Thank Google GOD for her son eBay, you can now have life eternal with laser engraving. . oh, and a seer stone and save 10% of your life's earning as a bonus. See you in Mormon man god Heaven Bitches!!. Bring on the Virgins
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

The BYU administration will probably be gentle and simply tell the students about the bad things the Honors Code Office will do to them for having the audacity to protest.
_sunstoned
_Emeritus

Post by _sunstoned »

There protest today was covered by local news. It looked like there was a good size crowd of protesters.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

I'm a little surprised this hasn't garnered more discussion on this forum. From /r/exmormon:

I don't know why, but this one really got my attention today. I've been mentally out for 10 years. Let me tell you, things are changing. 10 years ago when I started my journey (before prop 8, before CES letter) people were still afraid to openly question the church. Trying to organize a protest like this on BYU campus would have gotten you hauled into the HCO.

​There is a huge ground shift going on and i'm not sure the newly minted exmormons understand. This would not have happened even 5 years ago. Now we see people openly question the bretheren, on social media, or assembled protests or to their friends, etc.

​This is a big deal, once the fear of questioning the church is gone, their control is quickly following. The membership today is far less controlled by the bretheren's threats then they have been. We are all looking for the signs that the church is losing, well look closely. This is a big one.

Oh, boy. This poster really hits the nail on the head. It reminds me of DarthJ's brilliant and prescient observation about Millennials and Mormonism, how Mormonism just doesn't fit well within their worldview. I wouldn't be surprised if the next Prophet was more Pope Francis and less Pope Benedict.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_candygal
_Emeritus

Post by _candygal »

Actually, I give students some huge points. This was only a dream for students in the past.
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

Let's not forget the impact Sam Young is having too. Once the church stops asking sexually explicit questions to the youth they will lose the power to control the crotch. Then comes freedom!

The church really is going to lose. I can see it practically in a vision. It's really happening. The church is cracking and falling apart. It's amazing!

:smile:
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

I am wondering if BYU can change this aspect of the university. It seems like the odiousness of weaponizing its "Honor Code" is part and parcel of the University itself. They would need to be firmly told to knock it off by the Brethren before any change would be contemplated.

It might be helpful for Bishops to announce that only the most conformist of young Church members should send their admission applications to BYU and that the secular Utah schools be considered as the marriage promoting venues for young members who insist on thinking for themselves.