hereafter: "not the place where families will be reunited"

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_mentalgymnast
_Emeritus

Re: hereafter: "not the place where families will be reunite

Post by _mentalgymnast »

Gadianton wrote:I really don't see how this offers any kind of false hope to people who wish to merely be together, as you are saying this is virtually guaranteed for everyone. If some creative person reading this thread would like to take a stab at rewriting the lyrics to include God at the head as part of the "togetherness' expectation, I'd be interested in seeing how that comes out.

To rehash/restate, to me it would make sense that God would provide a way for all of His children to have maximum happiness in the hereafter. What that 'looks like' at the micro level rather than the macro...I don't know. But I do think, as I've already said, that God will not break up relationships that have been formed here on the earth. If people gravitate towards one another here, why not there?

The caveat is, however, that in God's eternal work he will seek/have collaborators that can work along side Him in carrying His work out. What does that look like on on the micro level rather than the macro (which God/god will be the foreman, etc.)? Again, I don't know. But to think that God might have certain job qualifications for those that are willing to work along beside Him...I'm OK with that. Because I can choose to...or not.

But if I choose not to, I still have my friends and family to hang out with. And let me say this one more time...what that looks like on a micro level rather than the macro (the warm fuzzy scripture stuff describes the macro), I don't know. So even though I don't know exactly what the micro 'looks like' the macro looks like something worth striving for. Whether one seeks God's presence...or something else that fits their own goals/individuality.

Gadianton wrote:Even in the second quote, remove the word "progress" and it's still obtainable. What does "progress" mean, MG? Doesn't that mean Eternal Progression, which is basically creating worlds without end and populating them with your own Trillions upon Trillions of spirit children?

Man, I don't even want to go there right now. I'm busy enough busting my gut trying to make do in this world from day to day. :wink: But if that's something that comes down the pike a few million years from now...maybe I'd be 'up' for that then.

Gadianton wrote:I'm pretty sure that nobody listening to the Carpenters has the "false hope" that they will be with their SO in the next life seeding entire planets. I mean, good heavens, MG, it's people that listen to the Carpenters, not yeast cultures.

I'm sure that what you're saying here is true. Even for many Mormons.

I think that I'd like to believe that there is the possibility of further association after I die with friends and family. And if I live according to the laws and ordinances of the gospel that I might, down the road, be able to apply for work/creation duty on some new system of coalesced stardust being brought to order to create a home for intelligent life.

That would be cool.

Regards,
MG
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Post by _Fence Sitter »

Watching a believing Mormon trying to describe what they will be doing when "families are forever" is like listening to a two year old describing what his expectations are of college life.
The reality is under any sort of explanation offered of what eternal life will be, we will be such different beings in such a different reality that we really have no idea what it is we are wishing or working toward.
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."
_mentalgymnast
_Emeritus

Post by _mentalgymnast »

Fence Sitter wrote:Watching a believing Mormon...

Or anyone else. :smile:

Fence Sitter wrote:...trying to describe what they will be doing when "families are forever" is like listening to a two year old describing what his expectations are of college life.

Exactly.

Fence Sitter wrote:The reality is under any sort of explanation offered of what eternal life will be, we will be such different beings in such a different reality that we really have no idea what it is we are wishing or working toward.

True, with the caveat that I'd be more comfortable, personally, in hoping and/or having faith that I'm following God's plan in the meantime. It may be of some help/benefit in the hereafter.

Yes, I know, if it IS God's plan. :wink:

Regards,
MG
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Post by _Gadianton »

MG wrote:To rehash/restate, to me it would make sense that God would provide a way...

Yeah yeah, we get that, MG, and it's good of you to think God will provide a way, except for Rusty just said flat out that he won't. You didn't address the Rusty's statements.
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_mentalgymnast
_Emeritus

Post by _mentalgymnast »

Gadianton wrote:
MG wrote:To rehash/restate, to me it would make sense that God would provide a way...

Yeah yeah, we get that, MG, and it's good of you to think God will provide a way, except for Rusty just said flat out that he won't. You didn't address the Rusty's statements.

Sorry I didn't hone in on what you believe to be the 'point'. I may have a tendency to wander and bit and go off on a tangent or side road. Be that as it may, I enjoyed participating on the thread. Folks are always free to 'take or leave it' in regards to my input. And even ignore if they want...just as I do with some folks. :wink:

Regards,
MG
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

Gadianton wrote:... You didn't address the Rusty's statements.

I have yet to see any reasonable attempt to justify what he said, by anyone. It's like how families decide to just ignore the crazy uncle who every so often blurts out bigoted comments. Everyone just pretends he didn't actually say that and moves on. When it's the president of your church, however, it's a little harder to keep doing that.
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Post by _Fence Sitter »

Lemmie wrote:I have yet to see any reasonable attempt to justify what he said, by anyone.

There are no reasonable explanations. It all rests on an ill founded belief in a God who will do what is best for everyone. Even if that is true, it destroys any claims by Mormonism to offering something no one else can. It destroys claims of free will, it makes sealing power an afterthought, it does away with any need for a separation of kingdoms in the hereafter, and it makes a farce of those who waste a great portion of their lives sitting in LDS buildings.
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."
_candygal
_Emeritus

Post by _candygal »

All I know is that there is not a sentenal in heaven nor hell that will keep me from finding my husband. If just to say hello.... :rolleyes:
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

candygal wrote:All I know is that there is not a sentenal in heaven nor hell that will keep me from finding my husband. If just to say hello.... :rolleyes:

Now that sounds like the truth. Hugs to you, candygal. Hope all is going well.