Sariah

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Re: Sariah

Post by _Gadianton »

Lemmie wrote:Arguing that one name in the Book of Mormon is used in an ancient manner while also noting that over 60 percent of the names are not only not used in an ancient manner but are not used at all by anyone else on the planet is pretty much the definition of meaningless coincidence.

...painful
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_The Dude
_Emeritus

Post by _The Dude »

Lemmie wrote:And I'm not a linguist, but from a statistical standpoint, it seems suspect that 60 percent of the names used by a group of people disappeared. When the Book of Mormon people mingled with the vast numbers of people Book of Mormon apologists now say filled the Americas, didn't any of them get to name their offspring?

But Lemmie, if they didn't pass on any DNA, then not passing on names is precisely what you would expect. How could Joseph have known? Point for the apologists.
"And yet another little spot is smoothed out of the echo chamber wall..." Bond
_krose
_Emeritus

Post by _krose »

How is the best explanation not just that Smith simply combined the two names of Abraham’s wife (Sarai/Sarah)? Isn’t Lehi an Abraham type of character, after all?
"The DNA of fictional populations appears to be the most susceptible to extinction." - Simon Southerton
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

The Dude wrote:
Lemmie wrote:And I'm not a linguist, but from a statistical standpoint, it seems suspect that 60 percent of the names used by a group of people disappeared. When the Book of Mormon people mingled with the vast numbers of people Book of Mormon apologists now say filled the Americas, didn't any of them get to name their offspring?

But Lemmie, if they didn't pass on any DNA, then not passing on names is precisely what you would expect. How could Joseph have known? Point for the apologists.

:lol: Are we talking about meatless commerce, again?!
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

The English translation of Charles Perrault's work, Tales of My Mother Goose, has a character named Mother Hubbard. Later on, science fiction writer L. Ron Hubbard wrote a book called the Dianetics: The Modern Science of Mental Health.

Score a bullseye for Perrault.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Symmachus
_Emeritus

Post by _Symmachus »

Lemmie wrote: in an ancient manner while also noting that over 60 percent of the names are not only not used in an ancient manner but are not used at all by anyone else on the planet is pretty much the definition of meaningless coincidence.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

And I'm not a linguist, but from a statistical standpoint, it seems suspect that 60 percent of the names used by a group of people disappeared. When the Book of Mormon people mingled with the vast numbers of people Book of Mormon apologists now say filled the Americas, didn't any of them get to name their offspring?

Well, most names in use among English speakers 1,500 years ago have disappeared by now. I suppose that's an out for them.

I keep thinking I should read this, but inevitably the apologistic (I can't even call them apologetic anymore) arguments of this sort rest on technical misunderstandings or misrepresentation.

I am perfectly happy to accept that Seriah was a name among a community of Aramaic-speaking Jews living in Southern Egypt under Persian rule in the fifth century BCE. What is that supposed to prove about a Hebrew-speaking Jew named Sariah who lived roughly two centuries earlier and not in Egypt or the (then non-existent) Persian empire?
"As to any slivers of light or any particles of darkness of the past, we forget about them."

—B. Redd McConkie
_tapirrider
_Emeritus

Post by _tapirrider »

Neal Rappleye failed to respond in the comments to his article.
https://www.mormoninterpreter.com/revis ... -6qj6qWVns

Peterson says the journal is "solid, peer-reviewed scholarly materials pertaining to Mormon scripture and related topics in ways that are accessible and relevant to members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, as well as to scholars."
https://interpreterfoundation.org/news- ... -peterson/

Brant Gardner was at least honest enough in his comment to admit that "The article begins with an assumption that is based on the assumed audience (LDS)". Right. It isn't for scholars, just for Mormons.

How is the Interpreter any different than the Ancient American Magazine or Epoch Times? Junk is junk.
_SteelHead
_Emeritus

Post by _SteelHead »

Symmachus wrote:
Lemmie wrote: in an ancient manner while also noting that over 60 percent of the names are not only not used in an ancient manner but are not used at all by anyone else on the planet is pretty much the definition of meaningless coincidence.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

And I'm not a linguist, but from a statistical standpoint, it seems suspect that 60 percent of the names used by a group of people disappeared. When the Book of Mormon people mingled with the vast numbers of people Book of Mormon apologists now say filled the Americas, didn't any of them get to name their offspring?

Well, most names in use among English speakers 1,500 years ago have disappeared by now. I suppose that's an out for them.

I keep thinking I should read this, but inevitably the apologistic (I can't even call them apologetic anymore) arguments of this sort rest on technical misunderstandings or misrepresentation.

I am perfectly happy to accept that Seriah was a name among a community of Aramaic-speaking Jews living in Southern Egypt under Persian rule in the fifth century BCE. What is that supposed to prove about a Hebrew-speaking Jew named Sariah who lived roughly two centuries earlier and not in Egypt or the (then non-existent) Persian empire?

Certain names have however survived pretty well for 1K+ years - Maria, Jon and its variations, Paul, Paulo, Pablo, biblical names as used in the romantic languages,
It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than a gardener at war.

Some of us, on the other hand, actually prefer a religion that includes some type of correlation with reality.
~Bill Hamblin
_reflexzero
_Emeritus

Post by _reflexzero »

Gets a lot of extra mileage making up exotic sounding names by applying various suffixes:

Ammonihah, Ahah, Amalickiah, Ammnah, Antionah, Amnigaddah, Cumenihah, Giddonah, Gidgiddonah, Gilgah, Limha, Maha, Mathonihah. Moronihah, Mosiah, Nephihah, Nimrah, Orihah, Zerehemlah, Zemnarihah, Zerahemnah, and Sariah.

Various other suffixes:
Coriantum (twice), Corianton, Coriantumr (3 times), Coriantor.

Or:
Gid, Giddianhi, Giddonah (twice), Gidgiddonah, Gidgiddoni.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.
_Xenophon
_Emeritus

Post by _Xenophon »

Symmachus wrote:I keep thinking I should read this, but inevitably the apologistic (I can't even call them apologetic anymore) arguments of this sort rest on technical misunderstandings or misrepresentation.
Thank you so much for posting those threads. Absolutely great stuff! Your ability to explain the linguistic arguments in straight forward ways really is a gift to the board. Couldn't agree more with Res Ipsa's thoughts on that first one:

Res Ipsa wrote:This was the most adept defenestration of an apologist that I have ever seen. If Cassius University does not offer a tenured position based on this thread alone, I will be very disappointed.
"If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation." -Xenophon of Athens