An Unusual Turn of Events

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_mentalgymnast
_Emeritus

Re: An Unusual Turn of Events

Post by _mentalgymnast »

consiglieri wrote:As if the turn of events involving my dear friend, "Dusty Smith" were not enough, I just yesterday recognized the Seventy who spoke in the Sunday afternoon session of General Conference by the name of Elder Kyle S. McKay.

He was my first missionary companion in Japan.

Mind blown!

Again!

My wife and I were back in Kansas City Missouri a few weeks ago and went to a Stake Conference. Elder McKay was one of the speakers. He gave an absolutely awesome talk on the sacrament and its symbolism. He's kind of a BRM sort of guy in the way he presents himself and speaks the 'pure doctrine'.

Regards,
MG
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

mentalgymnast wrote:
consiglieri wrote:As if the turn of events involving my dear friend, "Dusty Smith" were not enough, I just yesterday recognized the Seventy who spoke in the Sunday afternoon session of General Conference by the name of Elder Kyle S. McKay.

He was my first missionary companion in Japan.

Mind blown!

Again!

My wife and I were back in Kansas City Missouri a few weeks ago and went to a Stake Conference. Elder McKay was one of the speakers. He gave an absolutely awesome talk on the sacrament and its symbolism. He's kind of a Bruce R. McConkie sort of guy in the way he presents himself and speaks the 'pure doctrine'.

Regards,
MG

"pure doctrine"..... :lol: :lol: :lol:
That is, until its purity is tainted through time and then changed........
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Philo Sofee wrote:That is, until its purity is tainted through time and then changed........

It only changes when light and knowledge enter the world and show that the cave shadows were caused by someone making the sure sign of the bird with their finger.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

mentalgymnast wrote: He gave an absolutely awesome talk on the sacrament and its symbolism.

I'm glad I wasn't there to have to listen to someone tell me about the virtues of using symbolism to drink a man's blood and eat his body parts in order to make me a better person. Holding a little cup to my lips and tossing the water down as a token of Christ's blood dripping off the cross is totally disgusting -- revolting. And chewing and swallowing his breadlike flesh is even worse. This is the kind of garbage that came out of the Dark Ages and still practiced today. So sad.
_candygal
_Emeritus

Post by _candygal »

This guy gave me so much hell and damnation on the other board and then again here. When he came back for a spell...we made peace and I just wished him well. There is no happy medium with him..seems like he goes overboard in whatever direction he takes.
_Craig Paxton
_Emeritus

Post by _Craig Paxton »

Small World. Yes this Dusty dude was an obnoxious poster on that "other" board. This is a great reminder that life isn't black and white and that we as humans are complex with many greys and nuances to our assorted personalities. The Church made a lot of hay out of his claimed apostacy and then ultimate return and as others have stated even Uchtdorf mentioned your friends in one of his conference talks. Its sad that your friends story has been a source of pain giving believers a false hope that some do return. While I acknowledge that some do, it is the exception and not the rule.
"...The official doctrine of the LDS Church is a Global Flood" - BCSpace

"...What many people call sin is not sin." - Joseph Smith

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away" - Phillip K. Dick

“The meaning of life is that it ends" - Franz Kafka
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

"Pure doctrine."

In Mormonism, these words have come to signify a pseudo-scholarly persuasion that relies on dogma, strict reliance on prior ("classic") texts, rigorous and pedantic discussion of minutiae of these texts, and long-winded, detailed discussions about obscure theology instead of any kind of empiricism.

Mormonism for people like MG, or the professional Mopologists, is really just pseudo-science at this point. Mormonism, historically, has been subservient to political aims, and was a haven for opportunists (and still is as evidenced by the Wirthlin McConkie thread). It certainly may have produced some interesting outcomes, such as creating an ethnicity in the modern era, but let's not pretend it's not batshit crazy.

It's a bizarre cult and is appropriately viewed as such by the rest of humanity when exposed to it. I don't really get the need to defend it as anything other than the oddity it is.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Equality
_Emeritus

Post by _Equality »

consiglieri wrote:
Madison54 wrote:
He was a complete a**hole on here and treated people horribly. Then, his story is told in General Conference and he’s suddenly their new poster boy for a saint who’s seen the light and returned to the fold. Didn’t they parade him around having him speak everywhere about his reconversion? Nauseating.

Dusty was an asshole back in the 80s as well. He offended everybody in the U.T. student ward. Nobody liked him. Then I felt like I should ask him to go do something together and get to know him better.

He was stunned. I immediately found out he is a really good guy with bad and offensive social skills.

Looks like some things haven't changed.

Holy moly. Now I wonder if I know him, too. I remember you from university ward in the late 80s when I joined the church (I don't think you remember me--I started attending in Fall '88 and moved to Denton in early '90). I've often wondered what happened to some of the folks from that ward. It was by far the most interesting ward I was ever in during my nearly two decades in the church (it gave me a false idea of the depth and breadth of faithful Mormon thought and behavior in a typical ward).

I wonder what happened to Gib Condie and Larry Smith and the Elieson siblings (well, I know one of them is now US Attorney in Las Vegas), the Sidwells (surely they did not remain in the church?), and others (in addition to the intellectual lights in that ward, there were some real oddballs whom I won't name). I do know the institute teacher I admired so much, who was so good at table tennis and calligraphy and rode his motorcycle to and from Waco every day, ended up having a fling with a student and getting booted out of CES, whereupon he moved down to the border. That was a bit of a faith-shaker for me at the time. What was his name? Schaelling or something like that.

Anyway, I had no idea this Dusty Smith Utah Texas Cowboy guy was in that ward, too. It was quite the cast of characters (and I haven't even mentioned the handsome guy with perfect teeth who was in the Bishopric and involved with Up With People, or the (I'm pretty sure closeted gay) rich guy with a house in the hills off of 360, or the lady who would stand up in F&T meeting and talk about Mother Eve and paganism and stuff, or the guy who would DJ the dances and refused to play Paula Abdul's Opposites Attract because there is a line in it that goes "I like to smoke.").

Mostly fond, but also plenty of bizarre, memories of that time. Still, if the entire church were composed of university wards like that one, I might be able to stomach attending once in a while. Sadly, such units were actually few and far between even thirty years ago, and have been almost completely wiped out under the oppressive wheels of the correlation machine.
"The Church is authoritarian, tribal, provincial, and founded on a loosely biblical racist frontier sex cult."--Juggler Vain
"The lds church is the Amway of religions. Even with all the soap they sell, they still manage to come away smelling dirty."--Some Schmo