Beautiful testimony by late President Monson

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_SuperDell
_Emeritus

Re: Beautiful testimony by late President Monson

Post by _SuperDell »

How many years did Monson go without bearing testimony of Book of Mormon in conference?
“Those who never retract their opinions love themselves more than they love truth.”
― Joseph Joubert
_Physics Guy
_Emeritus

Re: Beautiful testimony by late President Monson

Post by _Physics Guy »

I've been a bemused observer of Mormonism for a couple of years now but this video really surprised me. I assumed it would be a spoof. Nope.

The then First Counselor in the First Presidency of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, soon to be President himself, really made a minute-and-forty-seconds-long congratulation video for the 100th birthday of an insurance company. He praised the company at length in the warm, measured tones of a funeral preacher. I can't imagine any other significant religious leader doing anything like that. Would the Dalai Lama endorse an insurance company? The Archbishop of Canterbury? Heck, even David Miscavige would realize how badly off-brand it would be.

But wait, there's more.

"When the roll is called up yonder, Beneficial will be there." Verbatim quote. Note a joke. Presumably not a serious prophetic utterance, either, but certainly a tone-deaf failure to recognize, Hey, I'm an Apostle—heavenly judgement isn't supposed to be just a figure of speech for me.

This really is a parody video, deadpan but over the top. It could've been on SNL. But Monson did it himself.