The Oaks have a pre-nup...

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_6EQUJ5
_Emeritus

Re: The Oaks have a pre-nup...

Post by _6EQUJ5 »

Lemmie wrote:6e! Welcome back. Where have you been? We need people to give more f**ks around here, and you certainly do not disappoint.

(Just one tiny note, though, be sure to read ALL the words in a quote, especially THE LAST TEN, it helps in getting the point. )

Lemmie -- I don't know what to tell you. In my personal experience men and women are generally different and if a father recognizes a general difference between his own sons and daughters, then God bless him for being observant. Yes, it's stupid to paint with broad brushes and then draw unwarranted conclusions from stereotypes. But it is equally foolish to ignore reality. If Oaks knows that his daughters' are particularly sensitive about an issue, he's being a good dad in being careful how that issue is addressed.

We all know that specific social constructions are BS in that they have no inherent, objective reality. And we all know that social constructs about gender tell us that men need to be emotionally "strong" for the emotionally "weak" females. But that didn't change the fact that at my father's funeral it was my brother and I pretending to be strong while our sister was outwardly grieving. Social construction or not, that's how it was. Same thing in marriage. I usually take out the trash and mow the lawn. My wife usually cooks dinner. None of this is an indication that we are the brink of a Handmaid's Tale-style dystopia.

ETA: Of course, if we really want to spice our marriage up, sometimes my wife mows the lawn while I cook dinner.
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

6equ5, I'm sorry you and your brother had to pretend to be strong at your father's funeral. That is a tough position to be in.

When my mother passed away, my dad asked me to handle all the technical details because even though I have many brothers, he knows I am the one who can go into computer mode and be "strong," if that's what you want to call it, in order to get things done. I didn't have to pretend, though, it fits my psychological construct. If my dad had relied on a gender-based social construct and asked one of the men to handle those issues that I took care of, they would have had to pretend. It would not have gone well. My oldest brother, on the other hand, gave a beautiful, extremely emotional eulogy and arranged several family-provided musical numbers. He's one of the artistic siblings, and I am one of the technical ones; the arrangement took advantage of our strengths, and had nothing to do with gender.

Regarding marriage, making dinner and lawn mowing, interesting point. My husband cooks every single night, it's his hobby and how he unwinds. I'm in charge of the yard and gardening, because that's my hobby. Social constructs based on gender assumptions just don't work for us, but I would agree, neither your marriage nor mine seem to resemble the Handmaid's Tale, assuming that all participants are freely choosing and that gender expectations don't unfairly or inappropriately limit those choices.

Yes, it's stupid to paint with broad brushes and then draw unwarranted conclusions from stereotypes.
Totally agree.

Tell us more about spicing things up in your marriage, is that a riding lawnmower your wife uses? (just kidding, couldn't resist. :cool: )
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Lemmie wrote:I'm in charge of the yard and gardening, because that's my hobby.

I knew I liked you. I'm a huge 'yard guy' and have transformed my lot into a botanical garden. I even volunteered with the city to take stewardship over a vacant lot near my home so I can transform it into a pollinator garden. So satisfying to cultivate something and create a living work of art.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Lemmie wrote:I'm in charge of the yard and gardening, because that's my hobby.

I knew I liked you. I'm a huge 'yard guy' and have transformed my lot into a botanical garden. I even volunteered with the city to take stewardship over a vacant lot near my home so I can transform it into a pollinator garden. So satisfying to cultivate something and create a living work of art.

- Doc

I think I remember when you were starting that! A botanical garden sounds lovely, especially this time of year. I'm getting antsy to get back outside. And yes, it is definitely a living work of art! My favorites last year were my moonflowers, big white blooms that unfurled at dusk. Good luck with your pollinator garden!
_candygal
_Emeritus

Post by _candygal »

On profiling any domestic duties in a marriage...you know what one of the things I really miss about m deceased husband???? His ironing!! Give him an iron and a football game on TV and the whole family were happy campers...

However....I made the best homemade cookies while he mowed and washed the car. LOL!
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

candygal wrote:On profiling any domestic duties in a marriage...you know what one of the things I really miss about m deceased husband???? His ironing!! Give him an iron and a football game on TV and the whole family were happy campers...

However....I made the best homemade cookies while he mowed and washed the car. LOL!

Now that's a lovely set of memories!