On Censoring of Conference Addresses Joseph Geisner Pt.1

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

On Censoring of Conference Addresses Joseph Geisner Pt.1

Post by _Fence Sitter »

All,

I would like to strongly encourage any interested parties to take a listen to the podcast linked below. It features one of our own occasional posters here, Joe Geisner who would be more than happy to answer any questions here regarding the podcast.

Over 7,000 General Conference talks given by hundreds of General Authorities, mistakes must have been made, right? Our guest this week, Joe Geisner, walks us through 120 years of Mormon General Conference addresses that were censored in some way. From the earliest talks by John W. Taylor to more recent addresses by Boyd K. Packer, the history of disunity within the highest ranks of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and the resulting censorship, is a surprisingly dense and fascinating subject.

http://glassboxpodcast.libsyn.com/ep-141-general-disunity-with-joseph-geisner-pt1

The portion where Joe talks about apostle John W Taylor speaking at conference with the choir behind him about how some members of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir were visiting the local houses of ill repute after practice, makes "preaching to the choir" take on a whole new meaning. Needless to say when it came time in that conference to sustain the apostles, Taylor got a few no votes from the choir.

I also enjoyed the story about J Golden Kimball and BH Roberts getting drunk together and Kimball remarking how he felt that a drunk Roberts was far preferable to a sober apostle.

Lots of good stuff in here about how current talks are sent in for review before each conference, how B.H. Roberts was openly critical of Smoot serving both as an apostle and a senator, Robert's conflicts with Joseph F. Smith and more.

Enjoy
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Re: On Censoring of Conference Addresses Joseph Geisner Pt.1

Post by _Fence Sitter »

"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Took a lot of effort just to finish part one. It was an excellent podcast.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

This looks like it's going to be fun. I've really been enjoying Radio Free Mormon too.

Things are being shouted out upon the housetops and INFORMATION is sweeping the globe. Mormonism is not going to survive like it planned but watch the church shrink and morph into something totally different.

:lol:
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

I listened to part 1 and enjoyed it. It was a little long. The first half was pretty intense and informative but it seemed to drag a little in the second half or so it seemed.

I plan to check out part 2 and hope it starts out intense and stays on track.

What impressed me the most in this presentation is how rotten the leaders of the church have always been since the beginning. Brigham Young was a monster. I also strongly suspect he was a murderer. He surely was a despot. Even faithful Mormons will admit that much.